Steak & Eggs

marcar72

This is a simple, quick meal that's protein dense and not too filling! I had the idea to make it after bringing home an 8 Oz Ribeye and not wanting a baked potato with it.

Ingredients:

8 Oz Steak (Ribeye, New York Strip, etc., etc.)
3 Large Eggs
Coconut Oil (or Ghee)
Salt
Pepper

Alright so all you do is set a skillet on the stove to medium to medium high heat and melt some Coconut Oil or Ghee in it. While the Oil is melting you can prep one side of the Steak with Salt and Pepper.

Once the Oil is melted and pretty hot lay the Steak in the middle of the skillet Seasoned side down and let it cook a few minutes. When you got it in there cooking on the Seasoned side add some Seasoning to the side facing up. Flip it over and let it cook a few minutes on the other side. Flip again a time or two if need be and cook to desired wellness.

While your cooking the Steak get your Eggs lined up ready to go. Once the steak is done pull it and set it on a plate. Then crack your Eggs and fry them up as desired while your Steak is "resting" on a plate. Once your Eggs are done pull them and lay them next to the Steak on a plate.

That's all there is to it! Only takes like 15 minutes tops to make. It's a good, quick way to get a protein dense meal that isn't that filling and it tastes awesome!

Ray Peat would probably use Ribeye cut steak and would suggest to be sure to get some carbohydrates in on this meal so that all the protein doesn't crash your blood sugar when digesting. I personally drink atleast a quart of OJ which Ray Peat would be against, but I need to keep my iron up.

Bon Appetit!! :D

tara

When I fry steak (or chops), I was taught to judge it ready to turn when blood starts to visibly seep up to the top, and only turn once, so it doesn't get tougher than it has to be. Gets it slightly rare - leave it a little longer if you want it well done. Personally, I salt after frying, and leave out the pepper, but that's a matter of taste.
I understand you didn't feel like potato, but there's a reason steak, eggs and chips are a thing. :) A fried tomato can go well with this, too, if tomatoes agree with you.
I'm just thinking I should see if I can come up with an easy gelatin milk pudding to follow it.

OP
marcar72

marcar72

gummybear said:
3 large eggs

alot of pufa

Expressed soo succinctly!

I had it again tonight after work. An 8 Oz Ribeye with 4 Large Eggs this time. Someone better call the Ray Peat Police... :lol:

OP
marcar72

marcar72

tara said:
When I fry steak (or chops), I was taught to judge it ready to turn when blood starts to visibly seep up to the top, and only turn once, so it doesn't get tougher than it has to be.

Yes, I've read about that as well. I flipped it only once when I made it again tonight and it turned out fine. Last night was the first time in awhile that I had fried a steak, in a Corning Visionware glass skillet none the less. So I flipped it a couple extra times and it was still pretty tender. Ribeye is forgiving like that! :)

tara said:
I'm just thinking I should see if I can come up with an easy gelatin milk pudding to follow it.

That sounds wonderful! I'm eager to know how to make some of those gelatin/dairy desserts. Someone posted a link to a website dedicated to gelatin desserts awhile back in the diet forum I believe. I'm gonna find that post and bookmark the link. Maybe I'll whip up something this weekend! :D

EDIT: I found the gelatin recipe website post, by Daimyo: http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5227&p=61478&hilit=Gelatin#p61478

dd99

Heston Blumental recommends turning the steak frequently, like every 15 seconds (link). I've tried it a few times and got a delicious steak that was caramelised on the outside, but not burnt, and was perfect on the inside. But it's a lot of hassle!

LucyL

dd99 said:
Heston Blumental recommends turning the steak frequently, like every 15 seconds (link). I've tried it a few times and got a delicious steak that was caramelised on the outside, but not burnt, and was perfect on the inside. But it's a lot of hassle!

I read a study several years ago that recommended frequent turning, I think it was about every 1-2 minutes. I do that with steaks on the outside grill and I prefer that method. Maybe it has to do with the heat - the higher the heat the more need for frequent turning?

Raypmom

This would knock me out and put me in a food coma, and I wouldn't be able to move for a while. No thank you Looool!

But I love your hash recipe in moderation of course ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals