Scallop Chowder **crazy good**

ilovethesea

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2013/12/s ... owder.html

Ingredients

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 large Spanish onion, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large white Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (submerge in water until ready to use)
1 1/2 pounds sea scallops cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 quart heavy cream
1/4 to 1/2 cup Pernod
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Minced fresh chives
Instructions

Begin by melting the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, lowering the heat a little, until the onions soften. Take your time here (about 10 minutes or so); this is where the onions develop flavor. Just don’t let them brown.
Add the potatoes to the onions, season, and cook, again, slowly, for 5 more minutes.
Add the scallops, season again, stir, and add enough cream until everything is covered. Bring to a simmer and cook, slowly, until the liquid reduces substantially, approximately 45 minutes.
Add the Pernod–which gives everything a lovely anise flavor–and the thyme and cook a few minutes longer.
Remove from the heat and either serve right away, with chives sprinkled on top, or allow the chowder to come to room temperature and refrigerate overnight. The flavors will develop if you allow for this extra step, but once you taste the chowder, you won’t be able to wait. Keeps for 3 to 4 days, covered, in the refrigerator.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)

Cooking time: 45 minute(s)

Number of servings (yield): 6

BingDing

OMG! Any recipe with both butter and heavy cream has gotta be good! No corn starch or wheat flower, too. This is like God's own white sauce, I gotta try it. Thanks!

OP
I

ilovethesea

BingDing said:
OMG! Any recipe with both butter and heavy cream has gotta be good! No corn starch or wheat flower, too. This is like God's own white sauce, I gotta try it. Thanks!

Yes! Try it and report back! I swear it is one of the best things I have ever made in my life.

I forgot to say, I skipped the Pernod but it was still heavenly.

tara

Looks delicious. :)

Back
Top Bottom