Hamburger Hash

koganmj

Do you add the gelatin at the end of the cooking time or the beginning?

If you add it at the beginning, I'm wondering - how do you determine the right amount of gelatin so that the water eventually thickens down to a thick gelatinous sauce, but don't add so much gelatin that the water thickens to quickly and you don't get enough time to cook the potatoes properly?

OP
marcar72

marcar72

koganmj said:
Do you add the gelatin at the end of the cooking time or the beginning?

If you add it at the beginning, I'm wondering - how do you determine the right amount of gelatin so that the water eventually thickens down to a thick gelatinous sauce, but don't add so much gelatin that the water thickens to quickly and you don't get enough time to cook the potatoes properly?

I add it in the beginning when I add the hamburger and spices to the pot of potatoes. I add quite alot, like 40-50 g of gelatin per batch. (1+ lb of hamburger, 4 medium potatoes)

I have yet to add too little water, it still comes out a teeny bit soupy when the cook time is done. I just let it set a bit and it thickens up as it cools. It's neat because some of the smaller potato parts cook down and mix with the gelatin and fat which makes a gravy base in the end.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have a batch on the stove I just finished. :mrgreen:

I am about to add an egg to it :twisted: making it everyday does sound a bit extreme though.

OP
marcar72

marcar72

Such_Saturation said:
I am about to add an egg to it :twisted: making it everyday does sound a bit extreme though.

I've been making it every other day. I eat half on the day I make it and the other half I have the next day as leftovers. Adding an egg to it sounds intriguing, I might try that here someday.

OP
marcar72

marcar72

pboy said:
hamburger mixed with hash?

The "Hash" is short for Hashbrowns I would assume, namely potatoes. I didn't name it but that's what it's called, hehehe...

OP
marcar72

marcar72

Ummm, ummm... looks like this only one of my portions fills the entire plate! :D

DSCN1487.JPG

pboy

haha yea I was joking, I recognize that...as a kid my mom I think would make something like that a lot, sometimes with green beans. I never liked it that much, but for some reason I loved the canned corned beef hash which is basically the same thing with a ton of fat (and probably mystery meat) mixed in. Now I wonder though if the mystery meats actually might be better than muscle meat, if theyre mostly collagen and glandular. These days I don't eat meat, but that looks well cooked

OP
marcar72

marcar72

pboy said:
Now I wonder though if the mystery meats actually might be better than muscle meat, if theyre mostly collagen and glandular.

I wouldn't think so because once you're getting into mystery meats and stuff like that you're probably also getting binders, fillers, nitrates, and other preservatives. Also canned meats would most likely have some BPA leech from the can liner.

The ground meat I get is pretty fresh and not watered down at all. It's conventional store packaged ground meat but the sell by date is never more than a couple days out, and I've asked them if there's any fillers or whatnot and they said there were none. (I was worried about gluten and "pink slime" meat filler) :2cents

pboy

well yea, id never eat it now haha, im sure it had a lot of nasties in it

4peatssake

Got a big pot of this awesomeness simmering on the stove.
Thanks marcar! :hattip

Raypmom

Sounds good, I think I will try this soon! This week, it also seems like something you could make on weekends and store in the fridge for through out the week to enjoy in small amounts. It's handy when you are busy!

I thought when you eat red meat you just need gelatin with it to balance out the aminos? So you need calcium too? Becuase I have red meat at least 2x a week but with gelatin(latte) only. So I should have it with calcium too?

I'm going to make this on Sunday in a batch Good stuff.

Birdie

I used this recipe before but with little less potato and ate it with bread.
Today i made it again with a lot of potato and ate it without bread.
It is really very very filling and super tasty.

Another thing i have realized that when i make French Fries, i boil the whole
potato for 40-60 min and then cut into pieces and fry in coconut oil.
I could not eat a lot without having digestive issues. I boil the whole potato with skin
to retain the nutrients. But when i add diced potato to meat stew there is very
little digestive discomfort.

It seems like starches in potatoes are properly cooked when they are diced
and whole potato is not as well cooked as i needed. IIRC One study that
found 40 minutes of boiling was required for proper digestion used potato
starch not the whole potato. If anyone is having problem with potato they may try
boiling it diced for 40 plus minutes. I also drank 1 cup of apple juice with the
Hamburger Hash and did not feel any blood sugar crash. I took some calcium
after the meal to balance the calcium phosphorus ratio. I am thinking about
adding gelatine next time.
Thank you. Good to know. I can't eat potatoes but used to make them for my husband until he complained.
Probably needed the boiled diced 40+. Yes, I do the apple juice with it too. I microwave the juice in winter.

beachbum

It looks like a tasty meal. But, the calcium to phosphorus ratio is quite low.
Drinking a cup of milk coffee can help with improving this ratio and calcium
in milk can block some of the heme iron absorption. Some pure calcium can
improve this ratio to a better level. I am wondering if the warmth comes
from all the nutrients in milk and meat ( B vitamins, Zinc, magnesium, potassium
salt ect) or is it a cortisol effect. Meat and starch both increases insulin powerfully.
Keto acids in potato can be a cause of increased warmth. Some gelatine
can improve the amino acids ratio. But RP has mentioned that in pure meat
diet phosphorus is a bigger problem.
What about using milk instead of water to change the ratio.

Birdie

What about using milk instead of water to change the ratio.
Sounds like a good idea. I can't use gelatin because of the lysine/arginine ratio. Don't want to add more lysine supplement, so can't do that part. But I used to do it that way. I want to try adding eggs to it. Thanks to Mittir's suggestion, I take a calcium supplement with meat. Well, when I remember. I am still using rice in place of potatoes. I like to add cooked zucchini. For a while I was adding mushrooms, but we got sick of them. I started putting in too many I think. So, taking a break from mushrooms. I'm going to add some eggs and milk now. Have a pot going on the stove.

Birdie

So, I didn't use any water. Added about 3 tablespoons of white wine after cooking the meat. Then used about 1/4 cup milk and two eggs beaten in it. That went well. Then I added some grated cheese. Not much since I didn't want it too heavy. Put the stuff into 4 containers immediately into fridge. We are set for 4 days. My husband won't eat it every day though. He's not that fond of meat I guess.

I did my rice separately this time so we can take the amount we want. Probably will add cooked zucchinis later. Still off mushrooms here.

kyle

Just fry the diced potatoes low and slow in coconut oil. If they start browning it's too hot . Should barely be bubbling. I'd slowly put the other ingredients in so the temp doesn't drop til it's golden brown.

DaveFoster

I thought when you eat red meat you just need gelatin with it to balance out the aminos? So you need calcium too? Becuase I have red meat at least 2x a week but with gelatin(latte) only.
One or two glasses of milk with a meal can reduce any negative effects from muscle meat.

Back
Top Bottom