Sausage Potato and Kale Soup

LucyL

Found this recipe on the Pioneer Woman blog.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/10/sausage-potato-and-kale-soup/

Ingredients

2 bunches Kale, Picked Over, Cleaned, And Torn Into Bite Sized Pieces
12 whole Red Potatoes, Sliced Thin
1 whole Onion, Chopped
1-1/2 pound Italian Sausage
1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (more To Taste)
2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
2 cups Whole Milk
4 cups Half-and-half
Splash Of Heavy Cream
Fresh Or Dried Oregano
Black Pepper To Taste

Preparation Instructions

Prepare the kale and set it aside.

In a medium pot. boil sliced potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside.

In a large pot, crumble and brown the Italian sausage. Drain as much as the fat as you can. Stir in the red pepper flakes, oregano, chicken broth, milk, and half-and-half. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Give it a taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add the potatoes, a splash of heavy cream for richness, then stir in the kale. Simmer an additional 10-15 minutes, then serve.

I used about 90% ground beef instead of sausage, my own chicken bone broth and cream instead of the half and half. The nice thing about this recipe was I played pretty loose with the quantities of ingredients (for example I used 4 cups of broth and about 3 cups of milk/cream) and it came out lovely. I also added the kale when I added the meat to the broth/milk mixture. It still had a bit of chew to it after 40 minutes of simmering. You could probably precook the kale to cook it even longer and it would still be good. I also left out the oregano and added some cumin for warmth.

My whole family liked this soup, (except the 4 year old didn't like the kale) and we are not particularly soup people.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Sounds wonderful! Thanks LucyL.

HDD

I have been wanting to make this soup because I have seen it in restaurants recently. Thanks for the recipe and the ground beef tip!

aquaman

just made this, was super easy

- but added potato juice along with the potatoes, so was about 1/3rd stock, 1/3rd potato juice, 1/3rd milk, with a bit of cream added, tons of salt and made it with sausage, chorizo and mince. AMAZING.

OP
LucyL

LucyL

Love Chorizo. We made it once when we had some ground pork from our farmer, and used it in a beer chili (no beans). Delish.

HDD

I made this today and it was delicious! I liked it better than Olive Garden's. Thanks again, LucyL! I used chicken sausage that I happened to have on hand and it came out great.

Interesting, Italian sausage seems to be 90% saturated and monounsaturated.

OP
LucyL

LucyL

Such_Saturation said:

Is that based on the assumptions that pig fat is saturated, because it's animal fat?

LucyL said:
Such_Saturation said:

Is that based on the assumptions that pig fat is saturated, because it's animal fat?

I just searched Google for "italian sausage nutritional information". This recipe is not bad but it is after an Olive Garden recipe and is probably better for North American tastes. I noticed the oregano and all the cream go a little too much in that direction. I had to cook the kale twice as long to get it soft and the dairy just could not take this and made crumbs. This affected the presentation (the taste was good) and I probably would try with just stock next time. Almost ten servings came out of the pot.

OP
LucyL

LucyL

Jenn said:
Would be better with some gelatin to balance the meat.....

-Jenn

My chicken "stock" is basically a bone broth. It has a good amount of gelatin in it, and still worked well in the soup. I added extra gelatin powder to the leftovers, still good.