protein in Potatoes

Peata

I'm confused about the protein in potatoes. In cronometer, a large potato has 5.1 g. protein. Since potatoes have a lot of carbohydrate, is this enough protein that I don't have to add more?

For example, dinner tonight was homemade french fries cooked in coconut oil and salted. I had it with ketchup. I'm having a Coke now. I'm full, but do I need to eat more protein to balance the meal?

Jenn

At night, not necessarily. Its all good, usable protein. You don't have to worry about any of it being converted to energy. By adding fat, you make it very similar to a glass of milk,only potatoes are very low in tryptophan.

dukez07

Jenn said:
At night, not necessarily. Its all good, usable protein. You don't have to worry about any of it being converted to energy. By adding fat, you make it very similar to a glass of milk,only potatoes are very low in tryptophan.

How low in tryptophan? If 2ibs of potatoes is equivalent in protein to a quart of milk, where is the rest of that protein going if it's low in tryptophan? And how do you know for sure that it's super low in tryptophan? Has RP spoken about this? I would also say that milk is far more nutritious than potato. Potato isn't bad in larger quantities, but it still doesn't quite make the grade in comparison to milk, IMO.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
postman Protein Content (incl Ketoacids) Of Potatoes? Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein 1
Lokzo Bile acids alter male fertility through G-protein-coupled bile acid receptor 1 signaling pathways in mice Scientific Studies 0
Mr Joe Homemade Peat-Friendly Whey Protein Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
GelatinGoblin Low-Moderate sugar meal with no Protein, Serotonin inducing? Ask For Help or Advice 5
J Safest form of protein shake? Dairy 6
S Thoughts on Casein protein vs cheese or milk? Diet 7
S Protein To Sugar Conversion Question Metabolism 11
Mito The Metabolic, Neuroprotective Cardioprotective And Antitumor Effects Of The Klotho Protein Articles & Scientific Studies 7
G Calcium-Phosphorus Ratio In Animal Protein Sources: What To Choose? Diet 7
GreekDemiGod Can Only Truly Be Satiated If Eating Over 150g Of Protein / Day Diet 9
Sscobalt High Carb Moderate Protein Low Fat? Diet 37
L Best Form Of Protein Powder? Metabolism 12
C What To Do When Your Gut Bacteria Love Protein Digestion 20
C Higher Carb To Protein Ratio Results In Higher Testosterone And Lower Cortisol In Men (1987) Scientific Studies 5
lvysaur Semen Has Twice The Protein Of Milk Body Care 6
L Sugar Or Meat/ Protein First? Ask For Help or Advice 6
Hgreen56 If Milk Isnt A Concern Than Also Whey Protein Powder Is Not Protein 17
A Do Carbonated/acidic Beverages Help Protein Digestion In Low Stomach Acid Environment? Ask For Help or Advice 15
V I Want To Try A Durian Rider Esque Diet (With Protein!) Experiments 29
R Too Much Protein. Adrenaline/cortisol? Ask For Help or Advice 2
meatbag High-protein Diet Reduces Hepatic Fat Than Low-protein Diet Articles & Scientific Studies 0
ddjd Very High Sugar Intake = No Weight Gain Without FAT Or PROTEIN Ask For Help or Advice 7
Tristan Loscha Caffeine Decreases Vitamin D Receptor Protein Expression In Vitro D 0
Lewis Acid α-Tocopherol Transfer Protein Plays A Role In Protecting Chloroquine Toxicity Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 0
Soren Diet Experiment: Protein Shakes, Sugar And Salt Only Experiments 11
berk Study: Low-carb High Protein Diet Causes Muscles To Grow Without Training Scientific Studies 2
Mito Potato Protein Has An Essential Amino Acid Content Similar To Human Skeletal Muscle Articles & Scientific Studies 22
S Low Protein + EAA Enough? Diet 1
berk You Can Eat All The Kcal From Protein/sugar You Want Without Stored As Fat On A Fat Deficient Diet? Metabolism 10
C Why Does All Animal Protein Kill Libido? Diet 60
ScurveDream You Cannot Digest & Utilize Food, Protein, Etc. -- Everything You Consume Is Worthless Health 64
Lenny Anybody Has Any Succes Healing Milk-protein Allergy? Working Through Milk Issues 2
SuperStressed Boiling Meat: Does It Leach The Muscle Protein Into The Liquid? Diet, Recipes 1
I Living In Israel - Horrible Protein Options Diet 8
Lenny How Much Grams Of Protein Per Liter Of Cooked Potatoejuice? Ask For Help or Advice 4
Twohandsondeck Monoprotein Bread Or No Protein If Given The Choice? Starches, Fiber, Legumes 5
haidut PUFA Are Immunosuppressive, Fasting And Protein Restriction (possibly) Even More So Scientific Studies 0
B Reducing Protein For Anxiety Mental Issues 20
Mito A Word Of Caution Against Excessive Protein Intake Articles & Scientific Studies 75
S Getting Enough Carbs/protein For "bulking" Macros & Micros 11
B Vegan Looking For Suggestions For Protein Powder Ask For Help or Advice 2
Jake sullivan PUFA Free (fat Free Cheese) For Calcium And Protein Fats 0
_lppaiva Too Much Protein? Cold Hands, Low Temperature And Corspe-like Heart Rate Metabolism 14
Kingpinguin Niacin Activates The G Protein Estrogen Receptor (GPER)-mediated Signalling Scientific Studies 0
P Ray Peat Recommends 1g Protein Per Lb For Muscle Diet 38
GreekDemiGod Consuming Sugar / Carbs Without Protein Or Fiber Discussing Dietary Models 7
B Hydrolyzed Whey Or Casein Protein Powders? Ask For Help or Advice 8
Francisco How To Get Protein Without Milk? Diet, Recipes 8
Cirion The Hypothyroid Protein Deficiency Yet Protein Toxicity Dilemma Diet 49
Francisco Optimal Amount Of Protein And Best Sources Diet 8