Potato = Good

wiggles92

There have been various discussions on this forum regarding personal problems from getting all glucose and fructose, or the vast majority, from solely fruit, milk and table sugar.

I've tried this 'optimal' protocol, and instinctually cannot continue. A day without rice, potatoes or wheat is just a bad day for me. I much prefer potatoes to rice, and in turn rice to wheat, but I'd have any of them over none at all.

There are a couple of arguments generally brought up:

1. I should push on through. It's just part of the adaptation process, and I'll look back at my starch eating days with a chuckle. I'm living the zero-starch American Dream, and oh boy I feel sorry for my Soviet comrades who didn't have the grit to escape their repressive starchy prisons. I'm now burning energy perfectly, my CO2 production is vastly improved from high fructose consumption, and all my health and psychological problems have disappeared from my hard-fought campaign to obliterate endotoxin from my gut. I've reached the Peat nirvana, I am Adam.

2. You are doing it wrong. You need to add more liver, or oysters, or lightly blanched collard greens, or take 12 grams of salt with your freshly juiced perfectly ripe oranges. Or whatever.

Anyways, I just think people are far too focused on this high sugar scenario. I understand the argument against starches, and wheat is definitely bad news to some degree, rice tastes dull, but edible. Well cooked potatoes however, are essential I believe.

It could well be that living in Britain and being able to get naturally grown Jersey Royal new potatoes significantly improves the biological effects of the food. I'm not sure.

It started with me feeling like I was somewhat better following the various protocols subscribed (high coffee consumption, l-theanine, limited meat consumption, zero pufa, low fat in general, fruit and dairy daily, soft drinks, aspirin etc etc.)

But as time went on I was putting on weight, and generally my gut health was getting worse. I was putting on abdominal fat, and no, it wasn't because I was consuming too much fat, or that I couldn't handle the change in energy utilisation (I'm a young male with no previous health complications).

So I decided to lean into 'the potato diet'. From the first bite of well cooked potato I knew this is what I needed. My guts cleared up, I dropped water weight initially, but then it sustained, I was happier, and getting healthier. I still consume a lot of skimmed milk, lean meats, eggs, tropical fruits etc. But I crave nothing more that a big bowl of potatoes, with a stocky meaty stew, or something similar, almost as a condiment.

It warms me up, my muscles seem to ease up a lot, my thoughts flow more clearly, I sleep much better, I want to be active and move about, and so on. I think people on this forum can definitely fall prey to what they fundamentally despise, namely scientific reductionism. I know there are studies on starch problems. Fine. But many people start a potato centred diet as a quick fix for weight loss, and find they never stop. Then there's that Japanese region where potatoes are the bulk of the calories, and they are some of the longest living in the world. And the Pacific Islanders. And I'm sure there is evidence on the other side of the equation, showing no consumption of potatoes, rice etc is problematic.

Anyways, I think a lot of you could solve most of your remaining maladies by eating them. Importantly, not with dairy fat. Therein seems to lie the problem. Eat them on a low fat diet.

Forgive me for not remembering the name, but a lady on this forum introduced some very important information on wet starches, and the unique, I would argue necessary, effect this has. As I recall it was something along the lines of only wet starches can sufficiently shuttle glycogen to the muscles, or wherever else that wonderful stuff needs to end up.

Finally, I've put a few quotes from Ray himself, which seem to add some balance to this debate that any starchy food will be destructive:

'Well cooked potatoes, with butter or cream, are a very good way to get carbohydrate, if you aren't allergic to them, because they contain a good balance of amino acids, too, as well as minerals and B vitamins.'

'Well cooked white potatoes, such as russets, are very nutritious, and the (cooked) juice is just something for people with extreme metabolic or digestive problems.'

'Roots, shoots, and tubers are, next to the fruits, a good carbohydrate source; potatoes are a source of good protein.'

Jayfish

If you are a young male with no previous health issues, why are you doing a strict Peat diet or potato hack in the first place? Avoiding pufa, fortified food stuffs and general additives/gums should be all any healthy person should be concerned with.

FacelessMan

There have been various discussions on this forum regarding personal problems from getting all glucose and fructose, or the vast majority, from solely fruit, milk and table sugar.

I've tried this 'optimal' protocol, and instinctually cannot continue. A day without rice, potatoes or wheat is just a bad day for me. I much prefer potatoes to rice, and in turn rice to wheat, but I'd have any of them over none at all.

There are a couple of arguments generally brought up:

1. I should push on through. It's just part of the adaptation process, and I'll look back at my starch eating days with a chuckle. I'm living the zero-starch American Dream, and oh boy I feel sorry for my Soviet comrades who didn't have the grit to escape their repressive starchy prisons. I'm now burning energy perfectly, my CO2 production is vastly improved from high fructose consumption, and all my health and psychological problems have disappeared from my hard-fought campaign to obliterate endotoxin from my gut. I've reached the Peat nirvana, I am Adam.

2. You are doing it wrong. You need to add more liver, or oysters, or lightly blanched collard greens, or take 12 grams of salt with your freshly juiced perfectly ripe oranges. Or whatever.

Anyways, I just think people are far too focused on this high sugar scenario. I understand the argument against starches, and wheat is definitely bad news to some degree, rice tastes dull, but edible. Well cooked potatoes however, are essential I believe.

It could well be that living in Britain and being able to get naturally grown Jersey Royal new potatoes significantly improves the biological effects of the food. I'm not sure.

It started with me feeling like I was somewhat better following the various protocols subscribed (high coffee consumption, l-theanine, limited meat consumption, zero pufa, low fat in general, fruit and dairy daily, soft drinks, aspirin etc etc.)

But as time went on I was putting on weight, and generally my gut health was getting worse. I was putting on abdominal fat, and no, it wasn't because I was consuming too much fat, or that I couldn't handle the change in energy utilisation (I'm a young male with no previous health complications).

So I decided to lean into 'the potato diet'. From the first bite of well cooked potato I knew this is what I needed. My guts cleared up, I dropped water weight initially, but then it sustained, I was happier, and getting healthier. I still consume a lot of skimmed milk, lean meats, eggs, tropical fruits etc. But I crave nothing more that a big bowl of potatoes, with a stocky meaty stew, or something similar, almost as a condiment.

It warms me up, my muscles seem to ease up a lot, my thoughts flow more clearly, I sleep much better, I want to be active and move about, and so on. I think people on this forum can definitely fall prey to what they fundamentally despise, namely scientific reductionism. I know there are studies on starch problems. Fine. But many people start a potato centred diet as a quick fix for weight loss, and find they never stop. Then there's that Japanese region where potatoes are the bulk of the calories, and they are some of the longest living in the world. And the Pacific Islanders. And I'm sure there is evidence on the other side of the equation, showing no consumption of potatoes, rice etc is problematic.

Anyways, I think a lot of you could solve most of your remaining maladies by eating them. Importantly, not with dairy fat. Therein seems to lie the problem. Eat them on a low fat diet.

Forgive me for not remembering the name, but a lady on this forum introduced some very important information on wet starches, and the unique, I would argue necessary, effect this has. As I recall it was something along the lines of only wet starches can sufficiently shuttle glycogen to the muscles, or wherever else that wonderful stuff needs to end up.

Finally, I've put a few quotes from Ray himself, which seem to add some balance to this debate that any starchy food will be destructive:

'Well cooked potatoes, with butter or cream, are a very good way to get carbohydrate, if you aren't allergic to them, because they contain a good balance of amino acids, too, as well as minerals and B vitamins.'

'Well cooked white potatoes, such as russets, are very nutritious, and the (cooked) juice is just something for people with extreme metabolic or digestive problems.'

'Roots, shoots, and tubers are, next to the fruits, a good carbohydrate source; potatoes are a source of good protein.'

Cool. I am planning on adding back in a lot of potatoes. How do you prepare them? Same way every time? Variety?

Peatish Ninja

Boiling is the best method.

But heat water WHILE the potatoes are in the pot. It amounts to even cooking of the starch.

Peatish Ninja

If the potato is soft enough to pierce a fork through, then they're ready to mash. It depends on the type of potato.

Waxy take lest time (as they hold more water).

Floury take longer to ABSORB water.

I also recommend throwing crushed garlic cloves, leeks and/or shallots when boiling to add flavour.

I guess you'll never find out lol

I love potatoes. :cat: Fried in loads of coconut oil. :happy:
I've tried steamed taters without added fat but they're too boring for me.
Even as a child my favorite food was fried potatoes.

OP
W

wiggles92

I love potatoes. :cat: Fried in loads of coconut oil. :happy:
I've tried steamed taters without added fat but they're too boring for me.
Even as a child my favorite food was fried potatoes.

I never eat them steamed tbh. I boil new potatoes for maybe 50 mins at high heat, mash em up with lots of salt, some chives and a little melted coconut oil, and then follow this method The Hash Browns Potato Diet for Rapid Weight and Fat Loss
Tastes dank.

Boiling removes about 50% of the solanine. The skin has some decent minerals, and when I'm using very good new potatoes I end up with an almost pureed substance. You can put it straight on George Forman style grill and end up with something similar to the taste of french fries without the fat.

screen-shot-2016-02-15-at-21-51-04-png.2168

FacelessMan

I never eat them steamed tbh. I boil new potatoes for maybe 50 mins at high heat, mash em up with lots of salt, some chives and a little melted coconut oil, and then follow this method The Hash Browns Potato Diet for Rapid Weight and Fat Loss
Tastes dank.

Boiling removes about 50% of the solanine. The skin has some decent minerals, and when I'm using very good new potatoes I end up with an almost pureed substance. You can put it straight on George Forman style grill and end up with something similar to the taste of french fries without the fat.

So after you boil and mash them up (with the skin on?) you put the mash on a foreman grill until they are kinda like hashbrowns?

OP
W

wiggles92

So after you boil and mash them up (with the skin on?) you put the mash on a foreman grill until they are kinda like hashbrowns?
Yeah. I just drop it in the middle, close and push. It spreads evenly, and doesn't leave any residue. I find the taste more satisfying than just mash on its own. Take it off after about 15 mins. By that point its stiff from the crispyness, and just ultra cooked potato inside.

Agent207

Solanine removed from boiling remains in water? so better not reuse the water for other thing, like cooking rice?

FacelessMan

Yeah. I just drop it in the middle, close and push. It spreads evenly, and doesn't leave any residue. I find the taste more satisfying than just mash on its own. Take it off after about 15 mins. By that point its stiff from the crispyness, and just ultra cooked potato inside.

:eek: :hearteyes: sounds incredible. Doing that tonight. Bout to boil some potatoes right now! And you don't add any fat at any point, right?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals