Jackson's Honest Potato Chips

I don't think they are fried or even re-use the oil.

From my understanding, each chip or piece of tortilla corn is sprayed with oil, then baked at high temperatures once.
This means the oil is heated once, in theory.

It wouldn't work if they had a giant pot of oil and dipped stuff in it.

It seems that coconut oil only really starts to degrade after at least 2 hours of frying.

johnwester130

It seems that coconut oil only really starts to degrade after at least 2 hours of frying.

"proprietary ‘low and slow’ cooking method we invented."

based on their logic, a coconut on a tree would go rancid due to the extreme temperatures they reach

YuraCZ

In my opinion fried foods in fat(even coconut oil or ghee) is in the same category like eating vegetable oils, soy products etc.. If liver doesn't like something then it must be fried foods.. Who cares about health can't eat fried foods. period.. Heated fats are the worst. IT's like chewing ******* iron particles.. Baked potatoes and THEN adding fats and salt. I don't see any problem. Delicious and healthy..

johnwester130

In my opinion fried foods in fat(even coconut oil or ghee) is in the same category like eating vegetable oils, soy products etc.. If liver doesn't like something then it must be fried foods.. Who cares about health can't eat fried foods. period.. Heated fats are the worst. IT's like chewing ******* iron particles.. Baked potatoes and THEN adding fats and salt. I don't see any problem. Delicious and healthy..

"The oil inside an airtight coconut still growing high up on a coconut tree will already see temperatures well above 100 degrees F. during its growing season."

YuraCZ

"The oil inside an airtight coconut still growing high up on a coconut tree will already see temperatures well above 100 degrees F. during its growing season."
Exactly. Without the air and that is a big difference.. Same issues with eggs. Hard boiled egg yolk or omelet from yolk = yolk is no longer healthy food. The yolk is denatured and most importantly the cholesterol in yolk is oxidized and will cause a problems inside the body.. Egg yolks only raw or soft boiled- egg white is cooked but the yolk is still liquid.

Lol I'm not sure you can fry at 100°F

FredSonoma

Reading this, I got a huge craving for french fries. I made some. They are so easy and fast to do. I could almost live off them. Crispy, perfectly browned, salt, ketchup. Ah. Pairs with sugar Pepsi or Coke, of course.

I also love making french fries but fast to do??? Do you have a secret haha? They take me so long to make. I'd eat them at literally every meal of my life if it weren't for that.

FredSonoma

I believe you could be right, but something is just different about deep fried fries than baked. They just chew apart so easily and don't ever cause any kind of digestive issues for me. Baked or boiled potatoes feel much gummier and heavier.

a UK company use the bake method, not the deep fry method

trafo coconut oil chips - ,Baked in a patented vacuum oven,
NOM coconut oil popcorn, - also a UK company

I think baked has higher acrylamide content.

they aren't re-using the oil

spray the chips once with oil

bake them

next batch.

so the oil, in theory, has been heated once

Well the acrylamide tests are done as experiments. I don't see why they would cook many times if they are comparing the various cooking methods. If the oil is atomized I imagine it would be even more prone to damage.

johnwester130

Well the acrylamide tests are done as experiments. I don't see why they would cook many times if they are comparing the various cooking methods. If the oil is atomized I imagine it would be even more prone to damage.

so you can never heat or cook with coconut oil ?