Potatoes Aren't Peaty

raypeatclips

3 pages and counting of posts on whether people should eat potatoes or not because of what Ray says. Eat potatoes, if they work for you keep it up, if they don't then don't eat them.

Xisca

3 pages and counting of posts on whether people should eat potatoes or not because of what Ray says. Eat potatoes, if they work for you keep it up, if they don't then don't eat them.
Actually, you started the 4th page... ;)

RP input about potatoes is good because he says HOW to prepare and eat them.
For me, preparation is VERY important in food, also mixes.
without RP, I would still be off oranges, now I have the juice.

This thread is very important to distinguish how to follow, not protocoles as we are used to, but ways of using informations.

Last edited:

Xisca

As i understand he advises potatoes when one has no better choice. And in this case one should eat it with fats and cook it well.
Not only, because sugar has no protein, and potatoes do have them. Also they can be very available in some places, like masa harina in Mexico is a good choice. This is part of context.
Also, he advises sugar when one has no better choice!
Best choice is fruits, and I do, but I live in 28ºN at the level of south Morocco!
And now we have little fruits, but potatoes and sweet potatoes.
When I have oranges and guavas, sure I do not eat potatoes, except when I am tired of fruits, and I can tell you that it can happen....
Also in context of travelling, great to have potatoes!

When you have no better choice, fruits, what is best second choice?

Last edited:

Xisca

Oxidized cholesterol alert!!!!
Thanks for information!
As I said, for me, food preparation is fundamental. I thought that clarifying was just removing what was not fat in it!
And I trust quite a lot ayurveda, and actually, it is through this way that I started thinking about SF
"how can SF be bad if ghee is considered as medicine?"
And now, I ask, how do they do it, if there is a problem? (I guess this is context, and still better than oil for cooking, and you have to cook in hot places, to sterilize food)
Maybe another topic about this?
(searching a forum is so hair-taking when all is not under the right title....)

Last edited:

Xisca

Wow, what a paradise-like circumstance to have a own garden which brings ginger and curcuma, my two favourite spices!
That is why I dedicate part of the place to them, which is not so easy to give them shade and a lot of compost. they are under my banana tress... My problem is to try to grow 365 carrots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a lot :)
I also have my ripe oranges, papayas, and now I have apples, and sweet potatoes... mangos and guavas in winter, and strawberry guavas are even better.
From summer I have prickly pears, they are super good on the stomach and can be found on the market.
Now cherries are exotic fruits for me!
And I think I am going to grow some potatoes...

and I have a cane sugar plant! At the local market you can buy a glass of freshly expressed juice, but they sell it for 2€.... it is not that sweet but good.

jitsmonkey

This sentence is important for beginners:
"Since the contextuality of communication is always in the foreground when I talk or write, you know that someone is confusing me with an authority when they talk about my “protocol” for something. Context is everything, and it’s individual and empirical."
and
"I start with trying to make a context clear, because everyone’s context is different, and meanings change when they are learned. Ideally, things should make no sense until they make the right sense."
A beginner should change things very slowly, to respect the right of the body to adapt, but also to get the right sense.
I have just noticed I have been here 2 years now...
I am navigating in my "individual and empirical", but also trying to make bridges with others = what do we have IN COMMON.

^^^^^this

with the only addition being it is not only important for beginners
Its clearly a necessary refresher for many.

Xisca

The truth is that you have to move to the tropics if you want the best Peat-friendly diet! Where does he go in Mexico?
Isn't the tropical land where we come from?
(lol, near the sea for shell fish, or in high land for CO2?)

The rest is adaptation. Sugar, gelatine, orange juice or milk bricks are best harvested in a supermarket hehe. Be happy, it is not so easy to do it the way I do. Just look at all the junk sold as food, and be also happy that RP suggested some ways to find your way out of hell, and potatoes are part of what I would buy if I had to hunt and gather in a supermarket mainly. And who of you is able to kill an animal for having meat and liver and shave the skin for making gelatine?!!! Too many things we have not learned and that parents could think for their children... Alternatives are growing around the world....

encerent

There's just no way I can get enough good fruits where I am to replace starches like potatos and rice

Sunny Jack

There is an old post by esteemed member Pboy where he talks about the Peat diet being the true paleo as it most closely approximates the primate diet. In this theory, the good quality fruits that our ape ancestors ate are replaced by orange juice and sugar, while the calcium-containing leaves are substituted by milk and cheese, and the occasional meat comes from gelatin. I suppose potatoes could similarly be said to represent an imperfect but decent replacement for the fruits that would ideally make up the bulk of the carbohydrate in the human diet.

Xisca

I wrote in this thread too if I remember well, as I agree this is very paleo, and paleo is as adaptative as a diet can be, according to where you live.
Thus I talked about hunting and gathering in the supermarket... and about my decision to move to where I live.
Paleo means fire use to extend food possiblities, so potaotes. There are traditional places where the diet is very starchy. All diets have some drawbacks and some compensation/associations of food, and tips to prepare, like fermenting grains, or cooking corn with lime.

Do not forget that primates and humans have eaten insects as a good source of protein! And fat I think.
You can grow mealworms at home...

Xisca

About potatoe eating, nobody mentions the ability of saliva ptyalin to cut the starch into glucose, in the mouth... But you have to chew much longer than we usually care!
Or it is not true?
Then no persorbtion?

The truth is that you have to move to the tropics if you want the best Peat-friendly diet! Where does he go in Mexico?
Isn't the tropical land where we come from?
(lol, near the sea for shell fish, or in high land for CO2?)
Michoacán - Wikipedia
more south than me, sea and high mountain...

Like 365 carrots? :D
lol, no, the worms grow in flour, the carrots not!

Last edited:

m_arch

9/8/15

"Ray,

You have said in interviews that you think it's good to avoid starch, but you've also said that potatoes are nearly a perfect food. I know you think it's good to eat some butter with starch but you've also said that you think too much butter can be fattening and you also like low fat or skim milk. So if one was to get a lot of daily calories from potatoes with no butter added, is the starch from the potato still likely to contribute to soft tissue or lymph damage from starch particles or is that only of concern from flour products, that is, starch consumed from flour products, which are usually consumed with the polyunsaturated fats."

RE:"I think potato starch is likely to cause some cumulative damage if it isn’t eaten with some fat. I don’t eat potatoes, both because of the starch and their allergenicity. As a cheap source of nourishment, they are far better than the beans and rice that are often recommended for cheap protein and calories. When the starch is removed, the cooked liquid can be used as a protein supplement for people with special metabolic problems."

If you want to "be like Peat" but you're successfully eating potatoes, even with fat, you're not a Peatarian. And the potato juice he talks about is only for people with special metabolic problems. It will do nothing for you if you're normal.

I think this other comment suggests a similar situation to what Danny Roddy says about milk, that if you have problems with it then it's not the milk, it's you. I say it's not the starch, it's you. >>>>>But, >>>>>and this is the important but, still, even if you don't have problems with starch, it will still cause cumulative damage from a real, true Peatarian POV.

inb4 "but he said if it's not eaten with some fat." Yea but he said "I don’t eat potatoes, both because of the starch and their allergenicity" so they aren't Peaty.

"The whole endotoxin nonsense boils down to excess intestinal bacteria, which can have numerous causes. The bias here is to blame it on starch of course ...."- tyw

Westside, I know you eat mostly starch. I'm curious as to what kind of weather conditions you live in? Tropical?

I've just gone from eating mostly starch and it digesting really well in the summer, and almost literally the first week of winter i've had huge problems with starch and now crave fat 24/7 and eating it seems to alleviate my problems.

PeatReader

In this interview on rice,beans, and potatoes he says:
"If your digestive system is very healthy, you can get along just with starch instead of sugar..but you still need a few hundred grams of carbohydrates, either a starch or sugar, every day."

"...you can get along with..." sounds like possibly it's not ideal but still decent

rei

A well cooked mashed potato with butter or beef fat mixed in is both delicious, healthy, cheap and easy. Get over it. Add some chopped onion to the mix and it is almost a food on it's own. Wash it down with a not from concentrate juice or whole milk and you can live on it.

People often say that potatoes are Peaty but they are not. Though he has said positive things about them, he's said enough negative things about them and personally does not eat them. Therefore, potatoes are not Peaty. A true Peatarian diet is 100% starch free with the only exception coming from the very occasional nixtamalized Mexican corn tortilla and baby turnip. My point is that it is unfair to credit the success of many potato eaters in the nutrition sphere to them being Peaty when that is not true. Any success of potato or starch eaters is outside of the Peatosphere. So to them when a person does well with potatoes it's because they are "Peaty" but when a person does poorly with milk and/or cheese, to the dogmatic Peatarian it's not the milk, it's them. They are inconsistent with what they call "Peaty." Either something is Peaty or it's not. I'm just being transparent. I'm also changing my view on when I said that when Peat says positive things about a food but does not personally consume that food, then claiming that food is still "Peaty" is not true. Just because he said something positive about it does not make it Peaty. There is a true Peatarian diet. You could say that there is a backup Peatarian diet when one is having problems but my problem is with the wording. Let's not confuse the wording

No true Peatarian.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals