Potatoes And Its Effects: Mealy Vs Waxy

Kartoffel

I always thought waxy potatoes were best? I'm Irish and love potatoes!

Not in my experience. For me it's the same as for squanch. The waxy potatoes that we Germans call "festkochend" (which means they are still firm after cooking) give me digestive issues and cause me to feel irritated. No such problems with the varieties that start falling apart and become really soft when cooked. Btw, I also love potatoes. I think they are the most complete and nutritious food in the world. And you can prepare them in hundred different ways.

OP
W

Wagner83

Not in my experience. For me it's the same as for squanch. The waxy potatoes that we Germans call "festkochend" (which means they are still firm after cooking) give me digestive issues and cause me to feel irritated. No such problems with the varieties that start falling apart and become really soft when cooked. Btw, I also love potatoes. I think they are the most complete and nutritious food in the world. And you can prepare them in hundred different ways.
The way you describe waxy potatoes after they are steamed or boiled does not sound like buttery potatoes to me, if I steam them well then just lightly pressing on them will turn them into a nice smooth , soft and well, buttery mashed potatoes.

EIRE24

The only problem with them is that if you have digestive issues, they could ferment and possibly cause even more digestive upset or help feed bad bacteria.

squanch

The way you describe waxy potatoes after they are steamed or boiled does not sound like buttery potatoes to me, if I steam them well then just lightly pressing on them will turn them into a nice smooth , soft and well, buttery mashed potatoes.
If the potato holds their shape fairly well during cooking (skin starts to crack after around 45 min of boiling, flesh starts falling apart a little after 1 hour) but easily turns into smooth mashed potatoes when lightly pressing on them, this is what we would call "vorwiegend festkochend".
True "mehlige" potaotes will start to completely fall apart already after only 15 min or so of cooking.
True "festkochende" potatoes will never really fall apart, they stay firm even after very long cooking times. You can't really turn them into mashed potatoes either, it will always be very lumpy.

I think it's possible that other countries just lump together "festkochend" and "vorwiegend festklochend" under the term "waxy? We take potatoes very seriously here, you can't do that.:nono

EIRE24

If the potato holds their shape fairly well during cooking (skin starts to crack after around 45 min of boiling, flesh starts falling apart a little after 1 hour) but easily turns into smooth mashed potatoes when lightly pressing on them, this is what we would call "vorwiegend festkochend".
True "mehlige" potaotes will start to completely fall apart already after only 15 min or so of cooking.
True "festkochende" potatoes will never really fall apart, they stay firm even after very long cooking times. You can't really turn them into mashed potatoes either, it will always be very lumpy.

I think it's possible that other countries just lump together "festkochend" and "vorwiegend festklochend" under the term "waxy? We take potatoes very seriously here, you can't do that.:nono
I come from the land of the potatoes. My ancestors lived on them

Kartoffel

The only problem with them is that if you have digestive issues, they could ferment and possibly cause even more digestive upset or help feed bad bacteria.

Why would I have more problems with them, if I have bad bacteria? I had severe digestive issues with bacteria for a long time, and eating waxy potatoes always made them worse, while I could digest the mealy potatoes just fine.

EIRE24

Why would I have more problems with them, if I have bad bacteria? I had severe digestive issues with bacteria for a long time, and eating waxy potatoes always made them worse, while I could digest the mealy potatoes just fine.
No, I didnt particularly mean you I meant in general. What foods have you found to be the best digesting? Do you produce a lot of gas after meals?

Kyle M

In James Clavell's novel "Tai-Pan" some of the Chinese women use, as an insult to other (usually younger and of lower class) Chinese women, the phrase "mealy-mouthed whore."

OP
W

Wagner83

I have reported that before, but, again, after spending some time eating a ***t load of potatoes once or twice per day, I now start coughing after eating the potatoes along with reduced breathing : it whistles a bit when I breathe, there's a sort of pressure/bloat at the level of the two higher abdominal muscles and above, taking a deep breath is not easy either. I do not get those effects from wheat or white rice, and it seems to build up as I consume potatoes over days/weeks. Has anyone noticed similar? I do love potatoes, much more than rice, the protein and minerals in them are nice, so is the taste. I'll keep going just to make sure it is indeed the potatoes but it's the second time I notice it.

OP
W

Wagner83

I have reported that before, but, again, after spending some time eating a ***t load of potatoes once or twice per day, I now start coughing after eating the potatoes along with reduced breathing : it whistles a bit when I breathe, there's a sort of pressure/bloat at the level of the two higher abdominal muscles and above, taking a deep breath is not easy either. I do not get those effects from wheat or white rice, and it seems to build up as I consume potatoes over days/weeks. Has anyone noticed similar? I do love potatoes, much more than rice, the protein and minerals in them are nice, so is the taste. I'll keep going just to make sure it is indeed the potatoes but it's the second time I notice it.
The breathing issues are mostly gone for now. So is the organic ketchup I used.

Amazoniac

Cooked white potatoes, apples, celery; then mashed with fine ginger and cinnamon; finally topped with fresh mature coconuts is an excellent combination that makes it very hard to become food for bacteria if you're having such problem. Steaming with coconut water is a plus. As a coincidence a fresh coconut provides more or less the amount of liquid needed to cook those ingredients properly. The only inconvenient is letting the water evaporate too much and it will start caramelizing, but this is what allows you to have the time to save it.

OP
W

Wagner83

Which part of the celery? I love to put a generous amount of coriander on top of the potatoes while they are steamed, it is delicious. It works with rice too, although with rice cooking until total absorption of water is better if it's a ginger broth.

DaveFoster

I come from the land of the potatoes. My ancestors lived on them
quote-it-s-not-that-the-irish-are-cynical-it-s-rather-that-they-have-a-wonderful-lack-of-respect-brendan-behan-2-25-27.jpg

quote-other-people-have-a-nationality-the-irish-and-the-jews-have-a-psychosis-brendan-behan-14821.jpg

The Prevalence of Mental Illness in Irish Americans: The Three Theories – The Irish in Cincinnati

Amazoniac

Which part of the celery? I love to put a generous amount of coriander on top of the potatoes while they are steamed, it is delicious. It works with rice too, although with rice cooking until total absorption of water is better if it's a ginger broth.
The stalk. It can be added later during cooking depending on how crunchy you prefer. But yeah, many herbs go well with it, (raw) parsley is an example.

OP
W

Wagner83

The stalk.
Pheromones effects ay? :ss2
About coconut water, isn't the fluoride less of a problem in Europe? I have access to water the local mountains in (plastic) bottles, but coconut water is a joke of a price.

Last edited:
OP
W

Wagner83

Cooked white potatoes, apples, celery;
I tried the cooked apples along with potatoes and ended up with the same tongue sore sensations that I get from drinking non filtered apple juice a few times. This happened every time with one or two smallish cooked apples. yesterday for dinner I added celery. I woke this morning and felt good mentally but nauseous, like upon standing it was hard to stay upright and I felt slightly sick. Since things looked a bit fuller down there I checked and found that celery is very very high in nitrates, I've not been able to find if the root has as much nitrates as the stalk.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals