What's the worst that could happen eating potatoes and milk daily?

Nicholas

Westside PUFAs said:
post 106932
Nicholas said:
post 106906 you do absorb some of the carbs (about half). the effect on blood glucose is not limited only to the RS meal but also subsequent meals and insulin sensitivity overall regardless of whether you're eating a RS meal or starch meal.

This is not true. The concept of "resistant" starch in the way people talk about it is pure paleo propaganda because they are so afraid of carbohydrate. The amount of "resistant" starch is so small that it means nothing.

Your body temp is almost 100 degrees. Even if a starch food had been cooled down its still going into your near 100 degree body.

What do you think happens to the non resistant starch because it is cooled? Nothing. The starch is still there whether it has been cooled or not.

Jeff Novick dunked this topic:

"There is a lot of hype out there about resistant starch, most of it has nothing to do with someone who is following the guidelines and principles recommended here.

A cooked baked potato has about 1 gram of RS per 100 grams. Increase that by 10% and you have 1.1

Cooked Brown Rice has 1.7 per 100 grams. increasing that by 10% and you have 1.87.

You said above that this is important to you in regard to, "someone who wants to lose weight." Well, the impact of this 10% would be miniscule and not relevant.

Let's take a closer look.

RS is still absorbed and yields calories but instead of the it yielding 4 cal/gram, it yields about 2 cal/gram.

Even if you consumed nothing but hot potatoes, 2000 grams would be 1860 calories. The 2000 grams would yield 20 grams of resistant starch. If you cooled the potatoes and increased the yield of RS 10%, you now have 22 grams of RS, not 20. You have 2 more grams. And those 2 grams would now yield 2 calories each and not 4. So, 2 grams x 2 calories each is 4 calories, so you would have reduced the total caloric load of the diet by 4 calories.

If you run the numbers on a 2200 calorie diet consuming nothing but brown rice, the difference will be 3.4 grams of resistant starch, and the calories saved would be 6.8

As you can see, the reduction in total calories of the food is miniscule, even if you ate nothing but cooked potatoes or brown rice.

However, understanding the principles and guidelines of calorie density, would be more important.

The average calorie density of brown rice and potatoes is about 500 cal/lb. Now, all you are talking about is increasing the amount of RS by 10% and thus, reducing a small portion of the calories absorbed.

In regard to calorie density, even if you could reduce the absorption of "all" the calories in the brown rice and the potatoes by 10%, they would now be 450 cal/lb, which is still in the exact same "range" of calorie density as before and would not have an impact to anyone following the guidelines and principles of calorie density.

Therefore, again, the impact of temperature on the RS is miniscule to anyone following this WOE..

omeone PM'd me and asked if I would comment on beans. They said beans are being touted as the food highest in RS, making up about 30% of the calories and so using beans would make a larger difference as you would only get about 70% of the calories listed.

Let's take a closer look at beans and RS.

First, most all my previous comments above apply, as you will see.

Second, to be accurate, as there are many numbers circulating on the internet about the amount of RS in foods, we will use the the current Standard Reference for Resistant Starch, which comes from this study.

Resistant starch intakes in the United States. J Am Diet Assoc. 2008 Jan;108(1):67-78.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18155991

It compiled the data on RS from many studies. It also pointed out how earlier methods of calculating RS were not accurate and used animal models, test tube analysis, etc etc and how they have tried to correct for all of this. That is why there may be varying numbers out there and why we will use the Standard Reference.

So, knowing there are some limitations on the numbers and how they are analyzed and calculated, here is the info on beans and the amount of RS per 100 grams.

Legumes - Amount of RS per 100 grams

Beans, black/brown, cooked/canned - 1.7
Beans, kidney, cooked/canned -2.0
Beans, mung, cooked- 1.6
Beans, pinto, cooked- 1.9
Beans, white, cooked/canned -4.2
Chickpeas, cooked/canned- 2.6
Cowpeas, cooked - 0.6
Lentils, cooked- 3.4
Lima beans, cooked/canned- 1.2
Peas, mature, cooked/canned - 2.6

The average of these is 2.2 grams of RS per 100 grams.

However, lets use a "best case" scenario and use one of the higher foods tested, lentils, so we really see how big the impact of RS is and how the numbers work out.

Lentils are 3.4 grams of RS per 100 grams, which is about 1/2 cup and about 116 calories. The 3.4 grams would yield about 13.6 calories if it was totally digestible. That means 12% of their calories are RS, which they say you do not absorb. Subtracting that amount from the total would lower the calorie value from 116 to 102.4

However, RS yields about 2 calories per gram so using the 2 calories per gram, instead of lowering the calories value 12%, it would only lower it 6% and the calories would go from 116 to 109.

Some actual studies have shown that RS actually yields 2.2 to 2.8 calories per gram.

("Resistant starch averaged 2.8 kcal/g for all 24 subjects but only 2.2 kcal/g in the hyperinsulinemic subjects" Resistant starch as energy. J Am Coll Nutr. 1996 Jun;15(3):248-54.)

So, if we used the 2.8 cal/gram, the calorie yield would only be lowered from 116 to 111.9, which is only 3.6%

And, that is a "best case scenario" using one of the higher legumes tests. However, according to the Standard Reference, the actual average amount of RS in beans is only about 2.2 grams per 100 grams, or about 2.2 grams per 1/2 cup cooked. So, the impact would be much lower.

On average, 100 grams of cooked beans is about 1/2 cup and about 115 calories and contains 2.2 grams of RS. The 2.2 grams of RS would yield 4.4 calories instead of 8.8 and so lower the total calories from 115 to 110.6, or about 3.8%.

At 2.8 calories per gram of RS, the 2.2 grams of RS would yield 6.16 calories instead of 8, lowering the total from 115 to 113.16 or about 1.6%

In Health
Jeff

PS From the SR Database, here is the RS in 100 grams of other recommend foods

Potatoes, baked -1.0
Potatoes, boiled -1.3
Pasta, whole-wheat, cooked- 1.4
Rice, brown, cooked- 1.7
Barley, pearled, cooked -2.4
Buckwheat groats, cooked- 1.8
Millet, cooked- 1.7
Pita, wheat- 1.3
Whole-wheat bread -1.0
Tortillas, corn- 3.0
Sweet potatoes, cooked- 0.7
Yam, cooked -1.5"

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/view ... 0958d98d28

If the reduction in calories or non-absorption of nutrients with RD is a myth then that is only good news for me....when i eat cooked and cooled potatoes i have a uniquely and consistently different experience than eating them fresh cooked. The numbers show the same unique difference for diabetics who use purely "RS" (potato starch or cooked and cooled potatoes) as opposed to things like fresh cooked potatoes. When i eat the cooked and cooled potatoes, i want to get basically the same amount of calories which it seems your quotes help to show. I wonder if the same is true for the nutrients. I admit i was a bit confused by the RS info on the web because i did believe that all foods have RS regardless of their cooking and preparation.

i started eating potatoes cooked and cooled for a year before i had even heard of the RS movement and i had perceived on my own that they make me feel completely different than fresh cooked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ella

Forum Supporter
The worst that can happen is you rid yourself of unwanted gut microbes. The potato served the Irish well and I have an Irish friend that digs and tends her garden every single day and has every variety of potates, even a purple one. It is actually purple, not just the skin. She cultivates 5 acres of land and is in her eighties. Even after two hip replacements, when she was supposed to be recovering, did not stop her hobbling around in her garden. She is a formidable lady - a lawyer in her younger years. Real Smart too. The treasurer of Australia was so impressed with my friend's down to earth common sense that he offered her a job as his chief advisor. She turned him down. Who would tend to her garden? She contracted MRSA during her stay in hospital from the surgery to her legs and hips. She has metal pins keeping her legs together but still manages to rock and roll to Elvis. My friend had the doctors and surgeon confounded because they had never seen a case of MRSA cured - gone, no trace. They did all the tests but there was absolutely no sign of it in her body or blood. Goes to show how potent those "Antimicrobial Peptides" in Potato are. She wanted me to look at her blood to find out what was so special that she was able to rid of the bacteria where others were unable. She wanted to know what was so special about her blood. I told you those Irish gals are tough. I told her I didn't need to look at her blood, it was clear that her garden which supplied her with all those potatoes and root vegetables, fruit and yes she kept her own cow for milk, had created an inhospitable mileau in her system for pathogens.

Well, it seems the Koreans who eat a lot of potato are clearly on the ball. They ain't scared of no tatters.

PG-2 exhibited antimicrobial activity against Candida albicans, a human pathogenic yeast strain, and Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. michiganensis, a plant late blight strain. PG-2 also showed antibacterial activity against Staphylococcus aureus, but did not lyse human red blood cells and was thermostable. Overall, these results suggest PG-2 may be a good candidate to serve as a natural antimicrobial agent, agricultural pesticide and/or food additive.

I have a microbiology background and have spent a considerable number of years exploring means of ridding pathogenic microbes and have explored endogenous antimicrobial peptides but it took Peat to get me thinking of antimicrobial agents from the foods we eat. So never in my wildest dreams did I consider the humble potato. Obviously, not everyone is enamoured with spuds they way I am. I think it is an absolute hoot when I think about these parasite cleanses alternate health practitioners go on about. What about ozone up your bum? No thanks. Not ever heard anyone recommend potato juice as a candida eradicator. Who needs a Rife Machine when you can eat tatters?

The worse that can happen if you don't eat tatters is getting ozone up your bum. :rightagain

Attachments

• ijms-14-04349.pdf
    972.7 KB · Views: 123

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:

Ella

Forum Supporter
Charlie, obviously you and me are not keen on enemas and ozone up the proverbial. :thumbup: .

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:

michael94

Coconut oil french fries in the oven are the best (just enough oil to coat lightly ), even works nuking them in the micro if you want them quicker ( I usually do this )

Nothing like soaked to remove starch then twice fried as a classic french fry is... but still good with minimal prep/fat and the coconut oil in place of weird after-taste pufa is huge in itself

somewhere in between a regular fry and a potato chip

#2 favorite food for me after ice cream

OP
W

welshwing

icecreamlover said:
post 107122 Coconut oil french fries in the oven are the best (just enough oil to coat lightly ), even works nuking them in the micro if you want them quicker ( I usually do this )

Nothing like soaked to remove starch then twice fried as a classic french fry is... but still good with minimal prep/fat and the coconut oil in place of weird after-taste pufa is huge in itself

somewhere in between a regular fry and a potato chip

#2 favorite food for me after ice cream

Do you get most of your carbs from ice cream and potatoes? sounds tasty

michael94

welshwing said:
post 107123

Do you get most of your carbs from ice cream and potatoes? sounds tasty

No just like them often, mostly skim milk, cereal, and fruit

Mittir said:
post 106941 Green potato has a lot of solanine and it is toxic.
But, potato can have large amount of solanine without getting green.
Taste is the best indicator, it tastes bitter.
It is better to avoid potato that tastes off.
Naturally most of the solanine
is stored under the skin, so thick peeling is helpful.
In addition to starch, Potato has large amount of pectin,
which can increase endotoxin depending on gut bacteria composition..
I think shredded potato cooked in saturated fat
causes less problem than baked or boiled one.

Wouldnt you also lose alot of the nutrition by ditching the skin?

If no skin is better overall it's easy to peel a potato so I'm wondering!

Mittir

icecreamlover said:
Wouldnt you also lose alot of the nutrition by ditching the skin?

If no skin is better overall it's easy to peel a potato so I'm wondering!

Here is nutritiondata profile on Potatoes, raw, skin and boiled potato without skin.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2553/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2558/2

Potato skin has higher amount of iron,copper and manganese and
rest of the nutrients are in similar amount. Keto acids of potato are found in flesh.
Even if skin contain keto acids one has to eat a huge amount of skin.

I think it is safer to avoid skin and minimize solanine. Some people get
joint pain from solanine. Traditionally people ate skin of baby potato with thin skin.

In potato tubers, 30–80% of the solanine develops in and close to the skin,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine

michael94

Mittir said:
post 107142

Here is nutritiondata profile on Potatoes, raw, skin and boiled potato without skin.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2553/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2558/2

Potato skin has higher amount of iron,copper and manganese and
rest of the nutrients are in similar amount. Keto acids of potato are found in flesh.
Even if skin contain keto acids one has to eat a huge amount of skin.

I think it is safer to avoid skin and minimize solanine. Some people get
joint pain from solanine. Traditionally people ate skin of baby potato with thin skin.

In potato tubers, 30–80% of the solanine develops in and close to the skin,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine

Thanks, I'll peel from now on until I find a better reason not to

D

Derek

I have done this and felt very good while doing it. Came across a diet called the milk diet/cure, where they treated all these diseases with milk and only milk. Then I heard about the potato diet which seemed also very beneficial to health. I just combined them and while I was doing this felt very healthy and blood work was immaculate (if that means anything). Also, it's cheap and you don't have to spend much time cooking/stressing about food.

michael94

Derek said:
post 107248 I have done this and felt very good while doing it. Came across a diet called the milk diet/cure, where they treated all these diseases with milk and only milk. Then I heard about the potato diet which seemed also very beneficial to health. I just combined them and while I was doing this felt very healthy and blood work was immaculate (if that means anything). Also, it's cheap and you don't have to spend much time cooking/stressing about food.

What sort of fat did you add if any and what fat % in the milk?

D

Derek

icecreamlover said:
post 107252
Derek said:
post 107248 I have done this and felt very good while doing it. Came across a diet called the milk diet/cure, where they treated all these diseases with milk and only milk. Then I heard about the potato diet which seemed also very beneficial to health. I just combined them and while I was doing this felt very healthy and blood work was immaculate (if that means anything). Also, it's cheap and you don't have to spend much time cooking/stressing about food.

What sort of fat did you add if any and what fat % in the milk?

Milk was 1% and added fat was palm kernel oil (used in when I fried potatoes), I also had boiled/baked potatoes with no added fat.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Derek said:
post 107248 Then I heard about the potato diet which seemed also very beneficial to health. I just combined them and while I was doing this felt very healthy and blood work was immaculate (if that means anything). Also, it's cheap and you don't have to spend much time cooking/stressing about food.
:partydance

Mittir said:
post 106941 potato can have large amount of solanine without getting green.

Source?

I'm also open to the idea that a little solanine, or solanine in its early stages may be beneficial. Theory of hormesis.

D

Derek

The green discoloration in potatoes is from chlorophyll not solanine, which would support mittir's statement about the toxin being present even without discoloration. However, I think the bigger issue is how the potato is cooked. From what I know solanine and other toxic alkaloids are much more toxic when the potatoes are fried; shouldn't be an issue in baked or peeled and boiled potatoes/mashed potatoes, etc...

Mittir

Solanine in Potato

From wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine

Showing green under the skin strongly suggests solanine build-up in potatoes, although each process can occur without the other. A bitter taste in a potato is another, potentially more reliable indicator of toxicity. Because of the bitter taste and appearance of such potatoes, solanine poisoning is rare outside conditions of food shortage. The symptoms are mainly vomiting and diarrhea, and the condition may be misdiagnosed as gastroenteritis. Most potato poisoning victims recover fully, although fatalities are known, especially when victims are undernourished or do not receive suitable treatment.[6]

Another source: http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publicatio ... -00337.pdf

The amount of greening is not a direct measure of a potato's solanine content because synthesis of
chlorophyll and solanine are separate processes
, and factors that affect greening of potatoes include
more than just light exposure. Greening is affected by the variety, maturity and age of the potato,
the intensity, quality and duration of light, and temperature.

Mittir said:

Also from your link:

"Consumers should be aware that some greening of potatoes without solanine production is not unusual and is more prevalent in some varieties than others. Although excessive greening may indicate that solanine is present, a bitter taste will verify its presence. Greened potatoes do not necessarily need to be discarded. The concentration of solanine is greatest in or directly beneath the skin, and peeling is an effective way to remove the solanine-affected tissue. Additionally, cooking in steam or water reduces solanine levels by 30 to 40 percent."

"However, because of the bitter taste, it is rare for someone to eat enough solanine to actually get sick."

"While green potatoes may not develop sufficient solanine to be a health concern, the green color decreases marketability and consumer acceptance."

I think it's similar to unripe fruit. You know when you taste it and it can make you sick.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals