Comparison between camel milk and cow milk

milk_lover

I pulled the numbers from http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Few things to note:
1) camel milk has less total fat
2) camel milk has higher calcium, sodium, and potassium
3) camel milk has less phosphorus (calcium/phos. ratio in cow milk 1.24 while in camel milk 2.37!)
4) camel milk has more iron
5) camel milk has more vitamin C

All these are peat approved except point 4. However, Ray has said the following:
“A person would be able to live for a long time on two or three liters of either milk or 4-6 pounds of potatoes per day. The milk drinker would eventually need to supplement iron, the potato eaters would need to supplement vitamin A, possibly B12, but both of them are nearly perfect foods.” So it seems if you opt to live on camel milk alone, you do not need to supplement iron, which might make point 4 not that big of a deal :) My grand grand fathers used to live on camel milk alone in the desert for many months a year.

What are your thoughts about camel milk? If you have the chance, would you try it? I read online that camel milk has more insulin which helps diabetics people. I don't know if having higher insulin in the milk is good. Also, people in the western world have been using it lately to treat autistic children. It gives less digestion troubles than cow milk and helps rebuild strong stomach linings.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 6.06.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 6.06.34 PM.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 646
OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

It tastes little bit saltier than cow milk. But if they are fed dates along with grass in the winter when they give birth, the milk tastes sweeter. Even when the baby camel grows up months later, my family still feeds the mother dates, this has been our tradition for a long time. Note, with time after birth, the milk tastes saltier and saltier.

paper_clips43

I was drinking it for a few weeks and felt really good. I had to get used to the saltier taste but it was fine after a few days.

I would drink a lot more of it if it weren't so darn expensive. I like the idea of the camels eating dates during the winter, that sounds delicious!!

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

It is, paper clips :thumbleft
The price.. tell me about it.. The commercial camel milk in my country costs double the price of cow milk. It's a good option to those who do not tolerate the added vitamins in cow milk as all commercial cow milk even the whole ones have the added vitamins in my country.. Luckily for our family, we have it for free :)

tara

I'd try it if I saw it available locally, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

schultz

Nutritiondata doesn't give amounts for PUFA but I'm guessing it's higher than cows since camels are psuedo-ruminants like horses and not true ruminant animals. I would love to see an actual fat analysis as it may not even be an issue. This post inspired to research camels a bit and they are pretty cool! They can produce milk on even poor forage and go without water for 20 something days. Not to mention that it's a "vehicle" and a food and water source all in one. Apparently the best milk producing camels can produce 40 litres a day. Wow!

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

schultz said:
Nutritiondata doesn't give amounts for PUFA but I'm guessing it's higher than cows since camels are psuedo-ruminants like horses and not true ruminant animals

This paper has studied the fatty acid profile of camel milk: http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... atty_acids

The percentage of saturated fat (Cn:0) relative to the total fat in cow milk is higher (camel 53.5%, cow 62.4%). The harmful PUFAs (C18:2 and C18:3) are almost the same percentage in both milk, slightly higher in camel milk (camel 3.86%, cow 2.90%). Worth mentioning is that camel milk has higher percentage of palmitoleic acid (C16:1) (11.86% vs. 2.45%).

Ray Peat said:
Diabetes induced a decrease of monounsaturated fatty acids and particularly palmitoleic acid in all studied tissues: liver, aorta, plasma. C18:3 n-6 and C20:4 n-6 were increased by diabetes.

This study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19889804) concluded:
Circulating palmitoleate strongly and independently predicts insulin sensitivity, suggesting that it plays an important role in the pathophysiology of insulin resistance in humans.

There is another study (http://www.sjph.net.sd/files/Vol6N4/Ori ... ticle5.pdf) which concluded the following:
Camel milk can be used as an herbal remedy for treatment of alcoholism and other liver diseases which affect the hepatic enzymes as well as the liver tissues.

We know the liver plays a very important part in sugar regulation in the body.. Could the palmitoleate in camel milk be responsible for normalizing liver enzymes, thus, improving insulin sensitivity?

There is another study about the effect of purified palmitoleic acid (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7414002815)
At 30 days, there were significant mean (95% confidence interval [CI]) reductions in CRP (−1.9 [−2.3 to −1.4] mg/L), triglyceride (−30.2 [−40.2 to −25.3] mg/dL), and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) (−8.9 [−12.0 to −5.8] mg/dL), and a significant increase in high-density lipoprotein (HDL) (2.4 [1.5, 3.3] mg/dL) in the intervention group compared with control. These changes equated to 44%, 15%, and 8% reductions in CRP, triglyceride, and LDL respectively, and a 5% increase in HDL compared with control. The placebo (control) group received mixed medium-chain triglycerides.
I know the liver is involved in the blood lipid metabolism. Could the improved liver function from camel milk/palmitoleic acid responsible for triglyceride and LDL reductions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 11.45.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 11.45.03 PM.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 456
OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

schultz said:
post 98610 This post inspired to research camels a bit and they are pretty cool! They can produce milk on even poor forage and go without water for 20 something days. Not to mention that it's a "vehicle" and a food and water source all in one. Apparently the best milk producing camels can produce 40 litres a day. Wow!
Ahah camels are wonderful sweet creatures. They are very very sacred and cherished in my culture. How come we don't adore them when they made us in the past move from place to place and fed us milk all year long? Nowadays we use cars obviously, but we still arrange camel races from time to time. They are still an important part of our lives. We do other entertainment events involving camels; we have beauty competition and milking competition. Milking competition is judged by how many liters of milk a camel can produce a day averaged over five to seven days.. It's a very fun activity and the milk by the end of the day is distributed to the less privileged people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. B

But how does camel milk taste?
the taste is a bit tough it has a salty taste to it. sheeps milk tastes the creamiest and thickest, and apparently has twice the solids of cows milk. camel milk you can tell isnt as fatty as cows milk. water buffalo milk is the sweetest of any ive tried, almost tastes like you added a bit of sugar to cows milk.

Ahah camels are wonderful sweet creatures. They are very very sacred and cherished in my culture. How come we don't adore them when they made us in the past move from place to place and fed us milk all year long? Nowadays we use cars obviously, but we still arrange camel races from time to time. They are still an important part of our lives. We do other entertainment events involving camels; we have beauty competition and milking competition. Milking competition is judged by how many liters of milk a camel can produce a day averaged over five to seven days.. It's a very fun activity and the milk by the end of the day is distributed to the less privileged people.

mate have you ever tried horse, reindeer or yaks milk?

Dr. B

It is, paper clips :thumbleft
The price.. tell me about it.. The commercial camel milk in my country costs double the price of cow milk. It's a good option to those who do not tolerate the added vitamins in cow milk as all commercial cow milk even the whole ones have the added vitamins in my country.. Luckily for our family, we have it for free :)
which country are you in? that sucks they require even whole milk to have added vitamins. hopefully they dont start that in the US.

Nutritiondata doesn't give amounts for PUFA but I'm guessing it's higher than cows since camels are psuedo-ruminants like horses and not true ruminant animals. I would love to see an actual fat analysis as it may not even be an issue. This post inspired to research camels a bit and they are pretty cool! They can produce milk on even poor forage and go without water for 20 something days. Not to mention that it's a "vehicle" and a food and water source all in one. Apparently the best milk producing camels can produce 40 litres a day. Wow!

what about buffalo or yak or deer milk? deer could be a high pufa, but yak and buffalo may be very low pufa?

schultz

which country are you in? that sucks they require even whole milk to have added vitamins. hopefully they dont start that in the US.

what about buffalo or yak or deer milk? deer could be a high pufa, but yak and buffalo may be very low pufa?

I'm guessing deer milk is similar to goats milk. They are both browsers at least. Although they probably don't produce as much milk as a dairy goat. Yak and buffalo are probably quite low. I don't know if the bigger ruminant animals have slightly different digestion? They do produce different kinds of poops (mudpies vs pellets)

Soren

Forum Supporter
I know someone who produces Camel milk in the EU but at present they cannot sell it due to regulations. The regulation is stupid too there just simply is not a rule specific to camel milk. You can actually even import camel milk and sell it but you cannot produce within the EU and sell it. They're working to get it changed.

I did some research on camel fat and it also appears to be pretty healthy very high smoke point like coconut oil and loaded with vitamins.

Dr. B

I'm guessing deer milk is similar to goats milk. They are both browsers at least. Although they probably don't produce as much milk as a dairy goat. Yak and buffalo are probably quite low. I don't know if the bigger ruminant animals have slightly different digestion? They do produce different kinds of poops (mudpies vs pellets)
yum

I know someone who produces Camel milk in the EU but at present they cannot sell it due to regulations. The regulation is stupid too there just simply is not a rule specific to camel milk. You can actually even import camel milk and sell it but you cannot produce within the EU and sell it. They're working to get it changed.

I did some research on camel fat and it also appears to be pretty healthy very high smoke point like coconut oil and loaded with vitamins.

it supposedly has a lot more iron and vitamin c than cows milk. i think its 1mg iron per cup! so half gallon per day and you have more than enough iron for the day!

Soren

Forum Supporter
yum

it supposedly has a lot more iron and vitamin c than cows milk. i think its 1mg iron per cup! so half gallon per day and you have more than enough iron for the day!

Ooh don't like that it has Iron, most diets have way too much iron and it causes a lot of problems. Need more copper less iron.

Sefton10

There was a piece on a popular BBC Sunday evening show in the UK this week (Countryfile) about camel milk. They were profiling two producers. It all sounded good until they got to the price, typically cow's milk will be less than £1 a litre in supermarkets, they were selling camel milk at £20 per litre!

Dr. B

There was a piece on a popular BBC Sunday evening show in the UK this week (Countryfile) about camel milk. They were profiling two producers. It all sounded good until they got to the price, typically cow's milk will be less than £1 a litre in supermarkets, they were selling camel milk at £20 per litre!
it seems to be $12-$16 per pint in the US. it's very uncommon in the US so it's expensive. i have only heard of camels being in colorado which may be the snow camel type, and some in pennsylvania. its far more expensive than other milks, A2 cows 1st colostrum seems to go for the same rate of $12-$16 per pint

sheeps colostrum can be $30 a pint!

camel milk is honestly the worst tasting of the milks, tastes like cows milk with salt added. the best tasting are probably jersey or other cows milk, sheep or buffalo milk!

Soren

Forum Supporter

Yea right now it is super expensive because there is so little volume. It will likely almost always be a luxury product.

Soren

Forum Supporter
it seems to be $12-$16 per pint in the US. it's very uncommon in the US so it's expensive. i have only heard of camels being in colorado which may be the snow camel type, and some in pennsylvania. its far more expensive than other milks, A2 cows 1st colostrum seems to go for the same rate of $12-$16 per pint

sheeps colostrum can be $30 a pint!

camel milk is honestly the worst tasting of the milks, tastes like cows milk with salt added. the best tasting are probably jersey or other cows milk, sheep or buffalo milk!

I've heard that camel milk with coffee is really good, I usually add a dash of salt to my coffee as well as sugar I bet the salty sweet combination is really good with camel milk.