Milk / Potatoes / Oranges

Kevin Meirs

Hey,

for budget reasons I have daily about:
2 pounds of potatoes ( cooked with peel; peeled after cooking to keep more of Vitamin C )
2 quarts milk ( low fat )
500 g oranges
about 30g liverwurst
about 30g cookes mussels
150gm raw crrots
Thorne Vitamin D / K supplement ( D3 / MK-4 )

Based on Crononmeter.com I fullfill all the RDA values,
I have slightly more Calcium than Phosphorus
Very low PUFA
100g Protein
40g Fiber
Only 17% Fat

What concerns me is that I have about 3g of calcium per day.
Would that be a problem?
I seem not to be allergic to nightshades nor the solanin in potatoes but how about SIBO and having too much starch. Would that be a problem?
Do you think that is a long term sustainable strategy to eat?
I mean, I feel great, have lots of energy, high morning temperature, good pulse profile, etc.

Thanks for your input

Last edited:
OP
K

Kevin Meirs

Ja, but often problems accumulate in the background; so I would like to know before they accumulate to a significant level

Fractality

I would add some grass fed butter/ghee to the potatoes. When you say cooked potatoes, are you referring to boiling them?

OP
K

Kevin Meirs

Yes, I mean boiling them thoroughly.
Would you add the grass-fed butter in order to balance the blood sugar spike?
If yes, couldn`t I balance it with low-fat milk?

If you were to add grass-fed butter in order to "coat" the undigestible fiber to
not beeing metabolized by bacteria in order to avoid endotoxin,
could I instead have coconut oil with the potatoes?
I remember Ray Peat saying that coconut oil is metabolized more like a carbohydrate
and is pro-thyroid ( both would be preferable, in my opinion ).

Last edited:

BrianF

I'm certain that Haidut has posted studies on here that demonstrate that consuming OJ during or just after a heavy starch meal lesson or lowers the endotoxic reaction. You might want to drink a glass with your potatoes. But verify that first. I could be imagining things again

BrianF

Pretty sure that using butter or ghee as kevin mentioned, should be a must with that type of diet.

Perhaps putting a few garlic cloves might be a valueable anti-microbial on such a high fibe diet.

Wagner83

I'm certain that Haidut has posted studies on here that demonstrate that consuming OJ during or just after a heavy starch meal lesson or lowers the endotoxic reaction. You might want to drink a glass with your potatoes. But verify that first. I could be imagining things again
It wasn't haidut, it was a thread and study on how fresh orange juice protects from some of the issues seen with a high fat high carb meal.

Kartoffel

OP
K

Kevin Meirs

Great input. Thank!

OP
K

Kevin Meirs

Pretty sure that using butter or ghee as kevin mentioned, should be a must with that type of diet.

Perhaps putting a few garlic cloves might be a valueable anti-microbial on such a high fibe diet.
Thanks for your input.
Is endotoxin really that much of a problem?
In the meantime I have researched further. As I have read on another thread Ray mentioned endotoxin only 2 times....

OP
K

Kevin Meirs

So I could mitigate the high starch load by OJ and fat.
On Ray`s site I read that coconut oil is metabolized more like carbohydrate than fat.
So wouldn`t I be better off to have cocnut oil with potatoes ( it is pro-thyroid, has many other beneftis ).
How much fat do I need to mitigate the starch load of 2 pounds potatoes?
Wouldn`t I then not have too much fat in my diet?

As far as I understand Ray`s approach, it is very low Pufa, low fat and high carb ( the right carbs, no starch....).
So how about replacing the potatoes with cane sugar.
This way I would replace starch with supposedly better carbs, get some glucose in order to fill muscle glycogen ( fructose "only" fills liver glycogen ).
Would that be a problem?
I mean sucrose ( cane sugar is 99.9% sucrose ) is supposed to deplete nutrients
and mail-stimulate the parathyroid gland that way that the tooth protection flushing from inside the tooth to the outside
is reversed which is supposed to lead to tooth decay.

Wagner83

Meal timing, b-vitamins status, exercise, fructose, slepp quality and fibers all play a part as well. I didn't like coconut oil, neither the taste (or lack thereof) nor the effects (reduced digestion, I think glycemic load was less controlled compared to other fats etc.. ), but I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, I may change my mind in the future. As per Amazoniac suggestions, herbs and turmeric can improve the palatalatability of the meal, stimulate bile acids secretion (turmeric), and protect from too much fermentation. Coffee helps the digestion but I can't use it with a high proteins meal. Cane sugar isn't a meal, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc.. have a lot of nutrients, proteins etc..

OP
K

Kevin Meirs

Meal timing, b-vitamins status, exercise, fructose, slepp quality and fibers all play a part as well. I didn't like coconut oil, neither the taste (or lack thereof) nor the effects (reduced digestion, I think glycemic load was less controlled compared to other fats etc.. ), but I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, I may change my mind in the future. As per Amazoniac suggestions, herbs and turmeric can improve the palatalatability of the meal, stimulate bile acids secretion (turmeric), and protect from too much fermentation. Coffee helps the digestion but I can't use it with a high proteins meal. Cane sugar isn't a meal, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc.. have a lot of nutrients, proteins etc..
Very good point.
These are all aspects I am, as far as I know, already taking care of.
I have my fructose over the day, work out every day in the evening, have potatotes about 30 minutes after the workout,
sleep well, have a good digestion ( as far as I can judge, based on about 40g of fiber ).
I like coconut oil but it I did not know that the glycemic load is less controlled than with butter.
I always have coffee, over the day, always with meals, it controls iron uptake and I just like it very much.
I am not a big fan of tumeric and thelike since they are supposed to be stimulate estrogen.
Right, cane sugar isn`t a meal and I feel better having glucose and fructose instead of mainly fructose by fruit.
It feels more like eating....
B-Vitamins: Is there a way to check the status reliably? Via blood test? From time to time I supplement for a week or so
with brewers yeast which is grown on sugar beets to ramp ub B-Vitamins.

Wagner83

Ok.
I don't know if there are reliable markers to assess b-vitamins status. It sounds like you have a pretty good diet, are doing great but worry about potential problems with starch while experiencing none. So perhaps in this case not worrying is a better solution.
As for coconut oil / mct oil, I just felt that it was metabolized too quickly (if eaten with a lot of starch) and didn't stimulate digestion as much as other fats. I know of at least one other member who had good digestion with butter but not coconut oil, others don't seem to experience problems.

OP
K

Kevin Meirs

Ok.
I don't know if there are reliable markers to assess b-vitamins status. It sounds like you have a pretty good diet, are doing great but worry about potential problems with starch while experiencing none. So perhaps in this case not worrying is a better solution.
Yes, you are absolutely right.
Thank you very much for your input.
I am kind of a perfectionist; should learn to let go.

Wagner83

I edited my post.

You could also shift the focus of your 'perfectionism' on other aspects besides diet (or not) . Discover new things, pursue different skills, develop new worthy habits etc.. 2c

OP
K

Kevin Meirs

I edited my post.

You could also shift the focus of your 'perfectionism' on other aspects besides diet (or not) . Discover new things, pursue different skills, develop new worthy habits etc.. 2c
Thanks for updating that post; helped a lot.
Yes, you are absolutely right. I aquire new skills regularly, so diet is fine. Next stop....