Looking For Milk Replacements After Gut Issues

Tourist

three months ago I had the blood food Intilerance test that showed a high reaction to: milk, casein and egg whites. I avoided those foods for just over two months and then reintroduced them on RP. Cottage cheese gives me problems as did eggs. From all i read in the forums I ought to cut back and go small.

The bigger health picture seems to be to get my thyroid working optimally so my metabolism is functioning up to speed. Im still very hypo--that I know. I'm going for labs tomorrow and I'm the meanwhile I'm wondering what to replace milk and egg products with?

I'm eating a lot of fried potiayoes with sharp cheddar cheese crumbled on top and potato juice and collagen with homemade stock for protein. I wish I had a bigger menu selection!! How do you keep variety in your meals ?

Would love to hear of some other food options

Last edited:
L

lollipop

@Tourist I remember good threads discussing this before. Keep searching.

Also, you have understood correctly, reintroduce dairy slowly. Many others with intolerance have had success. Also remember those exams show only a moment in time. Everything can change. Sensitivities seem to correlate with metabolic energy status. Improve and the sensitivities might disappear.

It happened in my case with dairy mainly because I went dairy free for so long. Working with your liver health, cheese, using more carbs and finding a source of calcium might help. I also used to make egg yolk pancakes...yummy just from yolks so you do not need to avoid eggs entirely.

Hope this helps!

OP
Tourist

Tourist

I appreciate the reassurance and suggestions. Would u please list some Ray approved carbs as a starting point that worked for u?

@Tourist I remember good threads discussing this before. Keep searching.

Also, you have understood correctly, reintroduce dairy slowly. Many others with intolerance have had success. Also remember those exams show only a moment in time. Everything can change. Sensitivities seem to correlate with metabolic energy status. Improve and the sensitivities might disappear.

It happened in my case with dairy mainly because I went dairy free for so long. Working with your liver health, cheese, using more carbs and finding a source of calcium might help. I also used to make egg yolk pancakes...yummy just from yolks so you do not need to avoid eggs entirely.

Hope this helps!

L

lollipop

I appreciate the reassurance and suggestions. Would u please list some Ray approved carbs as a starting point that worked for u?
Fruit, cane sugar, honey, grape juice, orange juice, potatoes, occasionally white rice, dark chocolate, crysatlized ginger, occasional maple syrup, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, occasional onions, raw carrots, occasional cucumber - tomatoes - onions - sautéed greens

Do these give you some ideas?

OP
Tourist

Tourist

They do and I realize that I'm holding onto my concern with getting enough protein without milk. Does collagen. Cheese, potatoes--and potato juice offer an adequate protein replacement?

Fruit, cane sugar, honey, grape juice, orange juice, potatoes, occasionally white rice, dark chocolate, crysatlized ginger, occasional maple syrup, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, occasional onions, raw carrots, occasional cucumber - tomatoes - onions - sautéed greens

Do these give you some ideas?

L

lollipop

They do and I realize that I'm holding onto my concern with getting enough protein without milk. Does collagen. Cheese, potatoes--and potato juice offer an adequate protein replacement?
Input them in Cronometer and see. I think it might be. I also have small amounts 4-6 ounces of muscle meats a few days a week: beef, lamb, occasional chicken, canned oysters, etc. Also I make Gelatin treats like with fruit juice or hot coco mix and Gelatin etc.

OP
Tourist

Tourist

Input them in Cronometer and see. I think it might be. I also have small amounts 4-6 ounces of muscle meats a few days a week: beef, lamb, occasional chicken, canned oysters, etc. Also I make Gelatin treats like with fruit juice or hot coco mix and Gelatin etc.

Thanks, Lisa, I appreicate all your feedback!

tara

I seem a to always get in trouble if I have more than a little milk. I try every now and then because I crave it and love it, but after a few days I back off again when I can remember why I'm feeling sick.
I'm not sure that I get quite enough protein, but if I push too much meat that seems to get me too.

Protein: I eat meat, fish, shellfish, jellies made with gelatin and fruit juice or stewed fruit, eggs in various things (I eat the whole egg usually, but most of the goodies are in the yolk:)), potatoes, little bits from other veges and fruit, occasionally some grain or legume, but not regularly other than white rice.
Calcium: eggshell or oyster shell. Peat has recommended eggshell, oyster shell next cleanest. I eat oyster shell because I've so far not been able to find or make eggshell powder fine enough to down.

OP
Tourist

Tourist

Wondering if you do hot cocoa without milk?

L

lollipop

Wondering if you do hot cocoa without milk?
I do it with because milk seems to work better for me than before. BUT I saw an awesome recipe using water, honey cocoa powder and vanilla extract.

Also @Tourist like @tara said above - I was also tested for egg white insensitivity and used for a couple of years egg yolks for omelettes, scrambled eggs, the "pancakes using banana and egg yolks.

OP
Tourist

Tourist

More interesting stuff-thanks. How do u adequately separate the egg white? I hate putting my stomach through so many food tests I do miss eggs. I'll try the cocoa recipe.

You wrote about bananas and I get so confused when folks include foods RP writes against using--what's your take on bananas?

I do it with because milk seems to work better for me than before. BUT I saw an awesome recipe using water, honey cocoa powder and vanilla extract.

Also @Tourist like @tara said above - I was also tested for egg white insensitivity and used for a couple of years egg yolks for omelettes, scrambled eggs, the "pancakes using banana and egg yolks.

L

lollipop

More interesting stuff-thanks. How do u adequately separate the egg white? I hate putting my stomach through so many food tests I do miss eggs. I'll try the cocoa recipe.

You wrote about bananas and I get so confused when folks include foods RP writes against using--what's your take on bananas?
@Tourist I used to make those pre Ray Peat era. Now I just stick to scrambled, omelettes, boiled. I also eat the entire egg now.

Easy to separate. Crack egg over your sink. Let the egg white fall out and I also move the yolk back and forth between both sides of the shell until all of the white has drained off.

Agent207

Did you try any raw dairy product from non-grain fed ruminants? Goat or a2 cows better yet.

As for eggs I agree with going with just the yolk and ditching the white if you don't do well with it.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals