Milk Alkali Syndrome (explicit)

J

j.

WARNING: There is some talk about erections.

Milk Alkali Syndrome is the combination of hypercalcemia, renal failure, and alkalosis. It's usually caused by excessive ingestion of alkalizing substances such as sodium bicarbonate and calcium carbonate, which increases blood PH (alkalosis) and surpass the kidney ability to excrete sodium bicarbonate. Once alkalosis occurs, it damages the kidney. I'll write some thoughts about my ongoing experience with it.

It started a week when I drank too much lemon juice with sodium bicarbonate while taking calcium carbonate. I bought a mixture of citric juices, including lemon juice. Not knowing anything about the syndrome, I put sodium bicarbonate on the lemon juice to counter its acidic taste, which required a lot. Lemon juice, despite being acidic, has an alkalizing effect on the body. The big amount of sodium bicarbonate had an additional alkalizing effect, as did the 5 grams of calcium carbonate I took that week, for other reasons.

One week after starting consuming these things I was in the ER with a 170 blood pressure, 112 heart rate. Somehow I quickly found out googling it was milk alkali syndrome caused by what I ingested, so I stopped.

Some days I felt great, some really bad. At first I was very bloated and a little salt would give me high blood pressure. I think my state was related to whether I consumed alkalizing foods that day or not. If I consumed a lot of sprite, I was fine. If I consumed orange juice, I wasn't. In my context, orange juice is too alkalizing.

One night where I felt really, really bad, I took 40 mg of Thorne K2 (MK4) and 100 mg of pregnenolone. The next morning I felt perfect. I haven't found much research about how these substances relate to alkalosis but they helped me, up to a certain point. Then they stopped having an effect or a negative effect if I kept taking them. I speculate that maybe I suffered some kidney calcification and the K2 reversed it enough to allow the kidney to excrete more sodium bicarbonate. The pregnenolone allowed me to tolerate the high dose of K2 which I used to not tolerate. Peat said this was plausible.

Milk alkali syndrome was completely cured spontaneously in most cases I read in the literature once sodium bicarbonate and calcium carbonate ingestion was stopped. It only takes a few days or weeks. However, it's been 6 weeks for me, and I still have some symptoms.

These are the symptoms I do not have, that are usually associated with kidney failure. I might have had them before, but I only tested myself this week, so maybe I was cured of these.

-High urea
-High creatinine
-Electrolytes imbalance
-Edema
-High blood pressure

What I have now is just alkalosis if I consume something as alkalizing or more alkalizing than milk or orange juice. I know I have alkalosis when I feel a strong urge to breathe more slowly. That increases serum carbon dioxide which has an acidic effect.

My therapeutic approach:
-I found that everything that is estrogenic, even slightly, sets me back. Including chocolate and gluten, so I completely avoid these.
-In contrast, things that are anti-estrogenic (with some exceptions, such as orange juice, because it is alkalizing) seem to help, such as the raw carrot.
-Stress that I can usually handle, such as work related, horribly brings the symptoms back at the moment, so I try to minimize it.
-Progesterone is anti-estrogen and it helps, but above the optimum dose has an alkalizing effect and it hurts.
-Pregnenolone helped at the beginning but it hurt later.
-Vitamin E (Swanson Maximum Strength Gamma) that I thought might have helped for being anti-estrogen, sets me back for two days. I don't know if it's the vitamin E, blood pressure increased by vitamin E, or that it's from soy.
-Consume Thorne K2 according to cravings.

My diet at the moment is sprite, apple juice, mashed and cooked potato juice, eggs, and the milk I can drink. When I felt better I often started consuming OJ, but only today I figured out it was setting me back. When I can consume alkalizing foods, I think it's important to choose milk over OJ, because having a good calcium/phosphate ratio would help prevent or reverse calcification.

Very well cooked potato or potato juice (1 hour) is the source of protein which causes the least trouble. At one point that was the only source of protein I tolerated.

How I figure out when I'm getting into an alkaline state: Impulse to hold my breathing and uncomfortable erections. That means I took too much progesterone or alkalizing foods.

I had Peyronie's disease but it reversed itself spontaneously in about two weeks.

Salt is important, but progesterone increased my salt cravings. Since I only had iodized salt, I took too much of it, and it started to have bad effects. Thankfully non-iodized salt arrived in the mail today and I'll start using it tomorrow.

It turns out there are two types of alkalosis: chloride-resistant and chloride-responsive. Chloride-resistant means that consuming sodium chloride (salt) doesn't help. Chloride-responsive alkalosis gets better upon ingestion of salt. There is a list of types of alkalosis and whether they are chloride resistant or responsive, but milk alkali alkalosis is unclassified. I believe when it was starting salt made things a lot worse, very quickly, and now it's making things better.

Monitoring urine PH I think might produce useful information, but I haven't done it.

OP
J

j.

Also, I have the impression OJ is more alkalizing than milk or cheese.

jaguar43

j. said:
WARNING: There is some talk about erections.

Milk Alkali Syndrome is the combination of hypercalcemia, renal failure, and alkalosis. It's usually caused by excessive ingestion of alkalizing substances such as sodium bicarbonate and calcium carbonate, which increases blood PH (alkalosis) and surpass the kidney ability to excrete sodium bicarbonate. Once alkalosis occurs, it damages the kidney. I'll write some thoughts about my ongoing experience with it.

It started a week when I drank too much lemon juice with sodium bicarbonate while taking calcium carbonate. I bought a mixture of citric juices, including lemon juice. Not knowing anything about the syndrome, I put sodium bicarbonate on the lemon juice to counter its acidic taste, which required a lot. Lemon juice, despite being acidic, has an alkalizing effect on the body. The big amount of sodium bicarbonate had an additional alkalizing effect, as did the 5 grams of calcium carbonate I took that week, for other reasons.

One week after starting consuming these things I was in the ER with a 170 blood pressure, 112 heart rate. Somehow I quickly found out googling it was milk alkali syndrome caused by what I ingested, so I stopped.

Some days I felt great, some really bad. At first I was very bloated and a little salt would give me high blood pressure. I think my state was related to whether I consumed alkalizing foods that day or not. If I consumed a lot of sprite, I was fine. If I consumed orange juice, I wasn't. In my context, orange juice is too alkalizing.

One night where I felt really, really bad, I took 40 mg of Thorne K2 (MK4) and 100 mg of pregnenolone. The next morning I felt perfect. I haven't found much research about how these substances relate to alkalosis but they helped me, up to a certain point. Then they stopped having an effect or a negative effect if I kept taking them. I speculate that maybe I suffered some kidney calcification and the K2 reversed it enough to allow the kidney to excrete more sodium bicarbonate. The pregnenolone allowed me to tolerate the high dose of K2 which I used to not tolerate. Peat said this was plausible.

Milk alkali syndrome was completely cured spontaneously in most cases I read in the literature once sodium bicarbonate and calcium carbonate ingestion was stopped. It only takes a few days or weeks. However, it's been 6 weeks for me, and I still have some symptoms.

These are the symptoms I do not have, that are usually associated with kidney failure. I might have had them before, but I only tested myself this week, so maybe I was cured of these.

-High urea
-High creatinine
-Electrolytes imbalance
-Edema
-High blood pressure

What I have now is just alkalosis if I consume something as alkalizing or more alkalizing than milk or orange juice. I know I have alkalosis when I feel a strong urge to breathe more slowly. That increases serum carbon dioxide which has an acidic effect.

My therapeutic approach:
-I found that everything that is estrogenic, even slightly, sets me back. Including chocolate and gluten, so I completely avoid these.
-In contrast, things that are anti-estrogenic (with some exceptions, such as orange juice, because it is alkalizing) seem to help, such as the raw carrot.
-Stress that I can usually handle, such as work related, horribly brings the symptoms back at the moment, so I try to minimize it.
-Progesterone is anti-estrogen and it helps, but above the optimum dose has an alkalizing effect and it hurts.
-Pregnenolone helped at the beginning but it hurt later.
-Vitamin E (Swanson Maximum Strength Gamma) that I thought might have helped for being anti-estrogen, sets me back for two days. I don't know if it's the vitamin E, blood pressure increased by vitamin E, or that it's from soy.
-Consume Thorne K2 according to cravings.

My diet at the moment is sprite, apple juice, mashed and cooked potato juice, eggs, and the milk I can drink. When I felt better I often started consuming OJ, but only today I figured out it was setting me back. When I can consume alkalizing foods, I think it's important to choose milk over OJ, because having a good calcium/phosphate ratio would help prevent or reverse calcification.

Very well cooked potato or potato juice (1 hour) is the source of protein which causes the least trouble. At one point that was the only source of protein I tolerated.

How I figure out when I'm getting into an alkaline state: Impulse to hold my breathing and uncomfortable erections. That means I took too much progesterone or alkalizing foods.

I had Peyronie's disease but it reversed itself spontaneously in about two weeks.

Salt is important, but progesterone increased my salt cravings. Since I only had iodized salt, I took too much of it, and it started to have bad effects. Thankfully non-iodized salt arrived in the mail today and I'll start using it tomorrow.

It turns out there are two types of alkalosis: chloride-resistant and chloride-responsive. Chloride-resistant means that consuming sodium chloride (salt) doesn't help. Chloride-responsive alkalosis gets better upon ingestion of salt. There is a list of types of alkalosis and whether they are chloride resistant or responsive, but milk alkali alkalosis is unclassified. I believe when it was starting salt made things a lot worse, very quickly, and now it's making things better.

Monitoring urine PH I think might produce useful information, but I haven't done it.

Great thread! Quick questions

Did you continue the thorne K2 and the Pregnenolone together ? How long did this last ?

OP
J

j.

jag2594 said:
Did you continue the thorne K2 and the Pregnenolone together ? How long did this last ?

Like 5 days. About 45 mg of Thorne K2 and a few hundreds of milligrams of pregnenolone daily, by feel. It had a positive effect, those few days, then it stopped having an effect.

jaguar43

j. said:
jag2594 said:

Like 5 days. About 45 mg of Thorne K2 and a few hundreds of milligrams of pregnenolone daily, by feel. It had a positive effect, those few days, then it stopped having an effect.

Has your blood pressure continue to be normal ?

OP
J

j.

jag2594 said:
Has your blood pressure continue to be normal ?

Yeah, my blood pressure was high only for like 2 or 3 days.

OP
J

j.

I was going to wait like three more months before starting thyroid, because I wanted to incorporate all aspects of Peat eating first, and only recently I was starting to consume gelatin regularly.

However, I got the milk alkali syndrome, and Peat said thyroid helps, so now I am in my fourth day of ERFA 30 mg. Not feeling much yet, besides a bit lower pulse, which probably means I was running on adrenaline.

jaguar43

j. said:
I was going to wait like three more months before starting thyroid, because I wanted to incorporate all aspects of Peat eating first, and only recently I was starting to consume gelatin regularly.

However, I got the milk alkali syndrome, and Peat said thyroid helps, so now I am in my fourth day of ERFA 30 mg. Not feeling much yet, besides a bit lower pulse, which probably means I was running on adrenaline.

I take thyroid with magnesium because it seems to activate it. Whether coffee or supplement.

My thorne K2 came in today. Were you doing 15 mg three times a day?

OP
J

j.

jag2594 said:
My thorne K2 came in today. Were you doing 15 mg three times a day?

Yes. At first I wasn't able to take that much, it made me feel "high". Bruno from Peatarian said the same happened to him. But maybe it'll work for you with less problems. I'd increase the dose gradually. Like first 1 drop, then 5, then 15, and finally 45 a day.

OP
J

j.

By the way, related to vitamin K, Gabriel posted a study suggesting that Vitamin K and E deplete each other. So when I took a lot of vitamin K, I felt like I didn't want to take it anymore, and felt cravings for my high-gamma vitamin E. When I took the vitamin E, I was able to continue taking vitamin K.

So once you get to high doses, it might be a good idea to take a vitamin E if you feel like it, my guess is that high gamma is better than high alpha. I use Swanson Maximum Strength Gamma. Others use Lotion Crafter with good results. Both are high gamma. So is Thorne Ultimate E, but I haven't heard of anyone using that.

OP
J

j.

Apparently my inability to handle vitamin E during my milk alkali episode wasn't actually about vitamin E, but the capsule in which it came. It's a gelatin capsule but has a colorant. I took it twice today, the first time with the capsule and I felt bad. I took another dose but without the capsule and no discomfort so far, but I'll have to wait more to be sure.

Dan W

This is with the Swanson "caramel color"? I'll add a note to the vitamin E page if that turns out to be a consistent problem.

OP
J

j.

Dan Wich said:
This is with the Swanson "caramel color"? I'll add a note to the vitamin E page if that turns out to be a consistent problem.

Yeah, it's a consistent problem for me, but I can just chew the capsule, swallow the content, and spit the capsule. If I do that, it's the best vitamin E I used so far.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
Dan Wich said:

Yeah, it's a consistent problem for me, but I can just chew the capsule, swallow the content, and spit the capsule. If I do that, it's the best vitamin E I used so far.
Mine should be arriving any day now.

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:

Have you ordered some other supplements along with Swanson Maximum Strength Gamma?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
Charlie said:
Have you ordered some other supplements along with Swanson Maximum Strength Gamma?
No, vitamin E heavy dosing is my next thing to try out so taking it one step at a time. Why whats up?

OP
J

j.

Just wondering. Hope that one works. If it doesn't.... that would suck.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
Just wondering. Hope that one works. If it doesn't.... that would suck.
Well no other vitamin E has worked for me up till this point other then the one in Progest E. So I know what I am up against. If this does not work Egems will be next. If that does not work I might try the Lotion Crafter internally and see if that makes a difference.

OP
J

j.

Gee, I just read that Vitamin A stimulates the parathyroid hormone (which retains calcium). Maybe my milk alkali episode was worse than it usually is because that little factor. At that time I was taking vitamin A. I'm an example of everything that can go wrong at once by following parts of Peat's advice carelessly and without really considering the whole context of the advice. But none of this would've happened if I hadn't bought that damn lemon juice (see OP).

Salt should prevent the syndrome, theoretically... what did Ray Peat say about your emergency?

ps you can buy a bunch of Ph sticks on amazon for a few bucks

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals