Boiled And Mashed Potato

Discussion in 'Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein ' started by dibble, Apr 29, 2017.

1. raypeatclips

raypeatclips Member

@Amazoniac I thought as much, thanks for the links. I usually do as you do, eat a portion of potatoes straight off the boil then cool and reheat at work later. Not sure the second portion is doing me good, my digestion is poor at the moment

2. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

For the second portion a good alternative is white rice, especially if the grain is short. It's mild on digestion, tastes good after reheating and usually keeps well for a long time, you can prepare in advance for a few days. Tomato sauce, bell peppers, beetroots, celery, a bit of fats, and even fruits (Indian Tarmanderines, etc) are good additions.

3. raypeatclips

raypeatclips Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I took a similar meal to work yesterday, reheated short grain rice with meat and veg and a few hours later noticed I was very bloated, like I was pregnant, followed by a huge stool about 45 minutes after noticing this. I have eaten loads of rice meals like this at work though and never noticed it, so don't know what's going on there. My gut isnt as good as usual at the moment though so maybe that's it. Guess i just need to experiment more!

4. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

What about the vegetables?

5. raypeatclips

raypeatclips Member

Only vegetables I had were a bit of bell peppers, small amount of onion, bamboo shoots. I've had that meal loads of times and not had problems. Trying to think if I incorporated anything new. Rice was short grain sushi rice boiled for about 40 minutes to basically mush.

6. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

The argument with your co-worker 15 min before the meal..

7. raypeatclips

raypeatclips Member

Interesting. Work is fairly low stress and the people are great. I ate the meal stood up, mouthfuls in between doing work with my hands, sometimes not even looking at the plate between mouthfuls etc. First meal I've had in a while where I've not been sat at a table and eating slowly. Perhaps this rushing made me digested the meal more poorly than if I had been sat down and savouring it, chewing properly. You've given me something interesting to think about thank you for that reply.

8. tara

tara Member

I regularly cook a pot of spuds one day and reheat portions later that day and the next (eg often at least 2 small -moderate servings a day). I haven't noticed any difference in effects between fresh cooked and reheated, though fresh is nice.

I think my sleep has been better and at least as effective with a bit more potatoes and other starchy foods. I'm not aware of allergic reaction.
    TMI warning: I think it did take a while for gut digestive enzymes or microbiome to adjust - while I was eating them less frequently (eg once every few days or a week) I think I noticed more potato scented farts. Now it this seems less pronounced (though I won't say non-existent). Not sure if my subjective assessment on this is reliable. :)

9. Philomath

Philomath Member

Several hours in the slow cooker works well too

10. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

11. OP
    dibble

dibble Member

thanks for all the responses, really appreciated.

12. Amarsh213

Amarsh213 Member

Glad I found this Post. I have been experiencing the same thing.

I had been living off orange juice two quarts and gummy bears for a month or so then I go out on the town with a group of friends one night and consume like 8 different beers with high carb counts. Wake up the next morning with muscle glycogen full skin tight stomach(dehydrated as well obviously) and was able to drink coffee without any negative reaction, and even go workout for a full hour, despite being quite drunk the night before.

Now I boil a large pot of potato ever morning and eat them pre and post workout, and before bed. Feeling incredible.

On high high sugar(sucrose) I was getting bouts of too much adrenaline or thyroid hormone, where I would get super spacey and feel very weird.

13. Optimus

Optimus Member

OP are you still experiencing the positives you mentioned? Any updates.

14. OP
    dibble

dibble Member

In the last few weeks I've been trying to enjoy life a little more and varying my diet rather than just eating potatoes. I'm now focusing on eating a lot of fruit for breakfast and eating mashed potato most days for evening meal and definitely around a workout. There is no doubt for me that mashed potato helps my muscles recover quicker, gives me a general feeling of better well being and definitely assists my sleep.

15. Atman

Atman Member

Mashed potatoes (well cooked potatoes, milk, butter, salt) are an excellent sidedish.
    I have them pretty regularly.

Maybe you didn't get enough protein before?
    Or you needed the extra sodium and potassium.

16. Prosper

Prosper Member

Can you remember if caffeine made this effect even stronger for you? How many pounds/grams of potatoes have you ended up consuming daily? Also where is your ancestry from?

17. Amarsh213

Amarsh213 Member

So I have had two serious episodes, and few minors.

1) One was after a morning of two big coffees with like two-three heaping spoonfuls of sugar, followed by breakfast of eggs and orange juice, on the drive to work I thought I was losing my mind. Adrenaline/hypoglycemia/or even hyperglycemia I do not know. Spaced out and did not know if life was real.I pulled over for gummy bears and a ciggeratte( I smoke 2-3 a day). I slowly recovered over a few hours. Hydrolyze collagen causes a similar feeling. Caffeine does increase this feeling.

2) The Minor episodes are bouts of brain fog/spaciness that dissipate over a 30-1hr period.

3) Right Now i can only link it to sucrose foods(refined/juice), based off that study that sucrose raises adrenaline, it may even be a hyperthyroid causing this issue. I was a former low carber and am in great shape so eating peat may have healed my metabolism in a month or two and now I am overdoing it.

4) Ancestor is German(north)/Scottish.

I ate a crazy amount of potato today, simply because I do heavy compound movements at the gym.

Any advice or knowledge on these symptoms would be greatly appreciated it.

18. Prosper

Prosper Member

I have no idea what truly causes it but I'll say that I have experienced those kind of temporary symptoms within similar context, kind of like depersonalization or dissociation. I suspect that many from middle/northern europe do better on a lot of starch than a lot of fruit. Eating at least a kilo of potatoes a day makes me very calm and "rooted" in the reality, if that makes sense. I'm more immersed by what my senses experience and less worried with how my mind interepretes it.

19. HDD

HDD Member

Your symptoms were most likely from low blood sugar. Both coffee and eggs can cause this. Coffee increases metabolism. Drinking it first thing in the morning when your blood sugar is already low can cause problems. The protein in eggs can also cause hypoglycemia. You will need to experiment to figure out how much sugar you need to handle both coffee and eggs. Ray Peat has written about feeling faint after eating an egg without adequate sugar.

20. Amarsh213

Amarsh213 Member

How do you feel about nuking them?

Your potato toppings. Do you do salsas, and which brand? Salt is all I need but I wanna switch it up