Boiled And Mashed Potato

raypeatclips

@Amazoniac I thought as much, thanks for the links. I usually do as you do, eat a portion of potatoes straight off the boil then cool and reheat at work later. Not sure the second portion is doing me good, my digestion is poor at the moment

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac I thought as much, thanks for the links. I usually do as you do, eat a portion of potatoes straight off the boil then cool and reheat at work later. Not sure the second portion is doing me good, my digestion is poor at the moment
For the second portion a good alternative is white rice, especially if the grain is short. It's mild on digestion, tastes good after reheating and usually keeps well for a long time, you can prepare in advance for a few days. Tomato sauce, bell peppers, beetroots, celery, a bit of fats, and even fruits (Indian Tarmanderines, etc) are good additions.

raypeatclips

For the second portion a good alternative is white rice, especially if the grain is short. It's mild on digestion, tastes good after reheating and usually keeps well for a long time, you can prepare in advance for a few days. Tomato sauce, bell peppers, beetroots, celery, a bit of fats, and even fruits (Indian Tarmanderines, etc) are good additions.

Thanks for the suggestion. I took a similar meal to work yesterday, reheated short grain rice with meat and veg and a few hours later noticed I was very bloated, like I was pregnant, followed by a huge stool about 45 minutes after noticing this. I have eaten loads of rice meals like this at work though and never noticed it, so don't know what's going on there. My gut isnt as good as usual at the moment though so maybe that's it. Guess i just need to experiment more!

Amazoniac

Thanks for the suggestion. I took a similar meal to work yesterday, reheated short grain rice with meat and veg and a few hours later noticed I was very bloated, like I was pregnant, followed by a huge stool about 45 minutes after noticing this. I have eaten loads of rice meals like this at work though and never noticed it, so don't know what's going on there. My gut isnt as good as usual at the moment though so maybe that's it. Guess i just need to experiment more!
What about the vegetables?

raypeatclips

The argument with your co-worker 15 min before the meal..

Interesting. Work is fairly low stress and the people are great. I ate the meal stood up, mouthfuls in between doing work with my hands, sometimes not even looking at the plate between mouthfuls etc. First meal I've had in a while where I've not been sat at a table and eating slowly. Perhaps this rushing made me digested the meal more poorly than if I had been sat down and savouring it, chewing properly. You've given me something interesting to think about thank you for that reply.

tara

@Westside PUFAs @Amazoniac @all potato eaters. Do you eat them only fresh or do you refrigerate any to reheat? Have you noticed any different effects of the reheated potatoes?
I regularly cook a pot of spuds one day and reheat portions later that day and the next (eg often at least 2 small -moderate servings a day). I haven't noticed any difference in effects between fresh cooked and reheated, though fresh is nice.

Anybody notice a slow down in bowel transit time when eating more white potatoes, sleeping longer but awaking feeling less rested, apetite lowering and a heavy stomach? Is this an allergic reaction or does it take time for the microbiome to adjust to the increase in fibre or specifc potato proteins?
I think my sleep has been better and at least as effective with a bit more potatoes and other starchy foods. I'm not aware of allergic reaction.
TMI warning: I think it did take a while for gut digestive enzymes or microbiome to adjust - while I was eating them less frequently (eg once every few days or a week) I think I noticed more potato scented farts. Now it this seems less pronounced (though I won't say non-existent). Not sure if my subjective assessment on this is reliable. :)

Philomath

Thanks and keep up the good work and stay inspired. Just take it one day at a time and live in the day.

The biggest problem in eating so much potato is preparing and cooking it. But once you become a potato master, it becomes very easy. I've dramatically upped my knife skills over the last 3 years. You learn which potatoes are "ripe." You learn which ones will come out the best. I like russets and yellow. Yellow potatoes are naturally "buttery" without butter added. There's also other kinds too. I liked baked sometimes but I mostly stovetop steam.

Several hours in the slow cooker works well too

D

Deleted member 5487

I have taken up an exercise programme in the last 6 weeks with weights, sprinting and walking.

Ive been eating Peaty with high sugar (honey, fruit, OJ), lowish fat (some butter, some coconut oil and Brie for high K2) and have had good results.

After browsing the forum and reading some of Westside pufas posts, this week I have switched from sugar to starch, specifically, mashed potato starch.

The results have been incredible. The main differences I have noticed are a complete removal of pain post workout muscle discomfort, a general feeling of far more energy throughout workouts and the day in general and overall feeling of great wellbeing. I have also lost stomach fat and maintained overllal weight so assume my muscles are growing well.

I know some on here arent fans of starch but I believe looking at Rays work there is a strong argument for mashed potato consumption.

I found this...
Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, these are the equivalent carbon framework of the essential amino acids but they lack the ammonia needed to make the complete essential amino acid. And potato happens to be very rich in these, probably a lot of fruits are, but they haven't been analyzed. But we did -- we juiced a potato and ran it on paper chromatograph and saw that it was very rich in all of the equivalents of the essential amino acids but when you test it chemically it has a very low amount of protein in the potato but when you eat it, these keto acids are changed once they get into your bloodstream just by absorbing ammonia they change into the essential amino acids and can support protein synthesis. So if a person has a very low kidney function and can't get rid of a lot of urea instead of needing dialysis, if they eat these keto acids instead of protein, they can recycle their ammonia over and over instead of making it into urea that needs to be excreted. And potatoes are a very rich source of this protein equivalent such that if you mash two pounds of potatoes, you can think of it as being equivalent to a quart of milk for protein value and it also has a good balance of all the other nutrients, so that if you choose it and get rid of the starch, then you have an extremely concentrated high-value nutrient.

and I further interested in this work, Westside PUFA has already posted.
McCarbthyism

This focuses on the unique ability of starch to be stored as energy in muscles which I think explains the wellbeing I have felt this week - I have seen some argue scientifically against this, but for me, empirically, I have seen a significant difference in only one week...

Thoughts?

Glad I found this Post. I have been experiencing the same thing.

I had been living off orange juice two quarts and gummy bears for a month or so then I go out on the town with a group of friends one night and consume like 8 different beers with high carb counts. Wake up the next morning with muscle glycogen full skin tight stomach(dehydrated as well obviously) and was able to drink coffee without any negative reaction, and even go workout for a full hour, despite being quite drunk the night before.

Now I boil a large pot of potato ever morning and eat them pre and post workout, and before bed. Feeling incredible.

On high high sugar(sucrose) I was getting bouts of too much adrenaline or thyroid hormone, where I would get super spacey and feel very weird.

OP
D

dibble

OP are you still experiencing the positives you mentioned? Any updates.
In the last few weeks I've been trying to enjoy life a little more and varying my diet rather than just eating potatoes. I'm now focusing on eating a lot of fruit for breakfast and eating mashed potato most days for evening meal and definitely around a workout. There is no doubt for me that mashed potato helps my muscles recover quicker, gives me a general feeling of better well being and definitely assists my sleep.

Atman

Mashed potatoes (well cooked potatoes, milk, butter, salt) are an excellent sidedish.
I have them pretty regularly.

Maybe you didn't get enough protein before?
Or you needed the extra sodium and potassium.

Prosper

On high high sugar(sucrose) I was getting bouts of too much adrenaline or thyroid hormone, where I would get super spacey and feel very weird.
Can you remember if caffeine made this effect even stronger for you? How many pounds/grams of potatoes have you ended up consuming daily? Also where is your ancestry from?

D

Deleted member 5487

Can you remember if caffeine made this effect even stronger for you? How many pounds/grams of potatoes have you ended up consuming daily? Also where is your ancestry from?

So I have had two serious episodes, and few minors.

1) One was after a morning of two big coffees with like two-three heaping spoonfuls of sugar, followed by breakfast of eggs and orange juice, on the drive to work I thought I was losing my mind. Adrenaline/hypoglycemia/or even hyperglycemia I do not know. Spaced out and did not know if life was real.I pulled over for gummy bears and a ciggeratte( I smoke 2-3 a day). I slowly recovered over a few hours. Hydrolyze collagen causes a similar feeling. Caffeine does increase this feeling.

2) The Minor episodes are bouts of brain fog/spaciness that dissipate over a 30-1hr period.

3) Right Now i can only link it to sucrose foods(refined/juice), based off that study that sucrose raises adrenaline, it may even be a hyperthyroid causing this issue. I was a former low carber and am in great shape so eating peat may have healed my metabolism in a month or two and now I am overdoing it.

4) Ancestor is German(north)/Scottish.

I ate a crazy amount of potato today, simply because I do heavy compound movements at the gym.

Any advice or knowledge on these symptoms would be greatly appreciated it.

Prosper

I have no idea what truly causes it but I'll say that I have experienced those kind of temporary symptoms within similar context, kind of like depersonalization or dissociation. I suspect that many from middle/northern europe do better on a lot of starch than a lot of fruit. Eating at least a kilo of potatoes a day makes me very calm and "rooted" in the reality, if that makes sense. I'm more immersed by what my senses experience and less worried with how my mind interepretes it.

HDD

So I have had two serious episodes, and few minors.

1) One was after a morning of two big coffees with like two-three heaping spoonfuls of sugar, followed by breakfast of eggs and orange juice, on the drive to work I thought I was losing my mind. Adrenaline/hypoglycemia/or even hyperglycemia I do not know. Spaced out and did not know if life was real.I pulled over for gummy bears and a ciggeratte( I smoke 2-3 a day). I slowly recovered over a few hours. Hydrolyze collagen causes a similar feeling. Caffeine does increase this feeling.

2) The Minor episodes are bouts of brain fog/spaciness that dissipate over a 30-1hr period.

3) Right Now i can only link it to sucrose foods(refined/juice), based off that study that sucrose raises adrenaline, it may even be a hyperthyroid causing this issue. I was a former low carber and am in great shape so eating peat may have healed my metabolism in a month or two and now I am overdoing it.

4) Ancestor is German(north)/Scottish.

I ate a crazy amount of potato today, simply because I do heavy compound movements at the gym.

Any advice or knowledge on these symptoms would be greatly appreciated it.

Your symptoms were most likely from low blood sugar. Both coffee and eggs can cause this. Coffee increases metabolism. Drinking it first thing in the morning when your blood sugar is already low can cause problems. The protein in eggs can also cause hypoglycemia. You will need to experiment to figure out how much sugar you need to handle both coffee and eggs. Ray Peat has written about feeling faint after eating an egg without adequate sugar.

D

Deleted member 5487

Thanks and keep up the good work and stay inspired. Just take it one day at a time and live in the day.

The biggest problem in eating so much potato is preparing and cooking it. But once you become a potato master, it becomes very easy. I've dramatically upped my knife skills over the last 3 years. You learn which potatoes are "ripe." You learn which ones will come out the best. I like russets and yellow. Yellow potatoes are naturally "buttery" without butter added. There's also other kinds too. I liked baked sometimes but I mostly stovetop steam.

How do you feel about nuking them?

Your potato toppings. Do you do salsas, and which brand? Salt is all I need but I wanna switch it up

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals