Potatoes Aren't Peaty

Kray

People often say that potatoes are Peaty but they are not. Though he has said positive things about them, he's said enough negative things about them and personally does not eat them. Therefore, potatoes are not Peaty. A true Peatarian diet is 100% starch free with the only exception coming from the very occasional nixtamalized Mexican corn tortilla and baby turnip. My point is that it is unfair to credit the success of many potato eaters in the nutrition sphere to them being Peaty when that is not true. Any success of potato or starch eaters is outside of the Peatosphere. So to them when a person does well with potatoes it's because they are "Peaty" but when a person does poorly with milk and/or cheese, to the dogmatic Peatarian it's not the milk, it's them. They are inconsistent with what they call "Peaty." Either something is Peaty or it's not. I'm just being transparent. I'm also changing my view on when I said that when Peat says positive things about a food but does not personally consume that food, then claiming that food is still "Peaty" is not true. Just because he said something positive about it does not make it Peaty. There is a true Peatarian diet. You could say that there is a backup Peatarian diet when one is having problems but my problem is with the wording. Let's not confuse the wording.

+1

OP
Westside PUFAs
That would be true if he had praised canola oil on multiple occasions called it a nearly perfect food etc strange comparison.

I know, I'm just saying that he doesn't consume either because of negative reasons. One could try to justify canola oil for the vitamin E but it's just weird.

What are you trying to achieve from this topic?

I answered that on the first page but to reiterate, I just want to make it clear that potatoes are in fact not Peaty because the man himself does not consume them for negative reasons. Yes I know of the pro-potato arguments, I was the one who was making them more than anyone else, and I still eat them, but I'm just trying to keep the definition of the true Peat diet clear. Again, people can do and say whatever they want, I'm not trying to control anyone. All I'm doing is pointing out when people either don't know Peat's view because they never came across it or got secondhand information that was wrong because they didn't do enough research and/or people do indeed know his view but they still choose to call what they're doing 'Peating." To me, the people who know but still use the term look retarded.

but he is still allowed to think they are an amazing food.

Of course he is. I didn't say he wasn't. When you study someones life work you're going to find some contradicting comments sometimes because again, people are people. My problem is with people who claim that they are "Peating." Not Peat.

For example, @cantstoppeating used to try to justify his whole milk consumption as Peaty. It's not. Just like I tried to justify that my potato consumption was Peaty. It's not. When you analyze everything he's said about whole milk and potatoes, you find that it is in fact low fat milk, 1%, and no starch at all including potatoes, that would be correct to call "Peaty."

Mito

If you want to "be like Peat" but you're successfully eating potatoes, even with fat, you're not a Peatarian.
True if your definition of Peatarian or Peaty is "foods that Ray Peat eats in his personal diet." Should the definition really be that restrictive?

biggirlkisss

I would argue if thyroid function was very high from say very intense light the endotoxin production wouldn't be there so it would't be a issue.

Kray

True if your definition of Peatarian or Peaty is "foods that Ray Peat eats in his personal diet." Should the definition really be that restrictive?

To be fair to the purpose of this website and those that are following Peat's ideas, it is not food we are talking about, per se, but its effects upon (healthy) metabolism. Context. Ok- potatoes aren't "Peat-prohibited" (if you were to ask him), but he will tell you the pros and cons of potatoes; hence, he opts for the juice, leaving it up to the person to decide if they wish to have one or the other, or both. He's explaining nutritional physiology, if that is a term. I get it. We mustn't be so literal that we miss the bigger picture. I have done this many times, forgetting that because "milk" is a good food, it doesn't matter if it is whole or 1%. But, if I go back and read Peat's thoughts on milk, he explains why whole milk is not the best (unless your metabolism would allow for the extra fat and you are able to burn the extra calories), so he drinks nonfat or 1% (don't quote me on that).

@Westside PUFAs, I understand your point. It is important to distinguish between what is being promoted as "Peaty" from a functional standpoint vs. "Peaty food", as in the case of potatoes. Simply because he has talked a lot about potatoes (protein quality, vitamin C content), doesn't mean they are "Peaty" foods in the sense they are staples in his diet, nor that he recommends them as such. But in context to other foods that might be eaten for their protein or vitamin C content, he is making a relative comparison. He is not here to tell us not to eat this or that, but gives a sound basis for why he chooses to eat what and how he does. I see that as the essence of the definition of "Peaty".

Last edited:

Mito

To be fair to the purpose of this website and those that are following Peat's ideas, it is not food we are talking about, per se, but its effects upon (healthy) metabolism. Context.
Yes that is my point. If you use a complex definition such as the one you've suggested, then potatoes would likely be included. If we use a simple definition like foods that Ray Peat eats, then potatos are out.

jitsmonkey

Egads @Xisca you're going to have to turn in ur "Peaterific Merit Badge" now.
Potatoes and you ate an entire carrot without shredding it?
That's in violation of Peat-o-gogue code 45456784-1
Repent @Xisca

Xisca

lol @jitsmonkey!
Breakfast now, amd I am eating a carrot...
Now you make me think I do not know if I should start the carrot from the big end or the small end...
Are you Big-Endians or Little-Endians?

"Traditionally, Lilliputians broke boiled eggs on the larger end; a few generations ago, an Emperor of Lilliput, the Present Emperor's great-grandfather, had decreed that all eggs be broken on the smaller end after his son cut himself breaking the egg on the larger end. wherein one Emperor lost his life, and another his crown". The Lilliputian religion says an egg should be broken on the convenient end, which is now interpreted by the Lilliputians as the smaller end. The Big-Endians gained favour in Blefuscu."

My mother taught me how to open a banana, and on which side, for a very CONVENIENT reason too.
My problem arose when a child laughed at me, and was opening it ON THE OTHER SIDE.
1st I realised he was true, then I realised that anyway I was used on the other side and did it better, and then that his way was best for unripe bananas, which was not in favour for me!

The BIG problen is that I think about this story EACH time I eat a banana....

the 3rd way........
Then I discovered that you can break a banana in the center and press out the 2 pieces. Seems the monkey way I was told... But you can discover it only when you have uncomercial bananas: small.
Context and experiment?

Well, my instinct chose to eat the carrot by the little end... I start by the easiest and tastiest and softer bit...

Xisca

I want to add that potato has keto acids, in addition to regular amino acids.
Heart and brain can use this keto acid as energy or body can convert it to essential amino acids
by attaching ammonia. This is the reason RP strongly recommend potato juice.
If someone eats sugar with potato juice body will most likely convert keto acids to
protein. If we assume this conversion ,the tryptophan content per gram of
potato protein will be much lower. I also have to assume body is not making
tryptophan from keto acids. RP has mentioned many miraculous health recoveries
by using potato juice. Potato do have lots of protein, potato juice from
2 lbs is equivalent to 1 quart of milk.

kaybb

I just listened to an interview where Dr. Peat was asked for his recommendations for good food choices. " ...its good to eat delicious food". My favorite recommendation so far.

@Xisca: Very well stated!
@Such_Saturation: I find your statement very interesting. But could you try to explain your observations a bit? What kind/set of symptoms did you experience while ingesting starchy foods alongside with milky foods. And: What do you think about cutting out the Milk and Cheese (obviously both heavy loaden with cow-specific bacteria and/or precursors of it) but keeping up with butter as a mere "neutral" and less harmful source for fat? And just to clarify your tier at least at this thread: Do you "true peat" and keep it up with the milk, or are you a heretic (just like me :smilingimp:) and prefer the potatoes and rice more?

I mainly do dairy and if you notice the type of stools you form when well adapted to dairy and when well adapted to starch, they are quite different. If a significant portion of my diet is starch then I start having problems with dairy AS WELL. Now I must say that I can never fully reach the "well adapted to starch" condition, so my theory isn't 100%

DawN

@ Xisca: Oh, 250 g for 2 days are quite a lot. I might tell you how I trick myself into using less butter and still create a delicious meal mainly of potatoes: Fill a half cup of water in a small pot, add some spices of your choice (to me this are fine milled chili, 1/4 teaspoon of curcuma, fresh grinded ginger, a few, maybe 6 or 7 grains of white pepper), and into all this some 20 or 30 g of butter. Heat it until the butter dissolves in the water together with the spices. Then pour it over the potatoes and mash it up. It's worth a try.

Xisca

Thanks for remembering me that there are other ways than the easy potatobutter stuff in a plate on the side of the computer for dinner...
@ Xisca: Oh, 250 g for 2 days are quite a lot. I might tell you how I trick myself into using less butter and still create a delicious meal mainly of potatoes: Fill a half cup of water in a small pot, add some spices of your choice (to me this are fine milled chili, 1/4 teaspoon of curcuma, fresh grinded ginger, a few, maybe 6 or 7 grains of white pepper), and into all this some 20 or 30 g of butter. Heat it until the butter dissolves in the water together with the spices. Then pour it over the potatoes and mash it up. It's worth a try.
I still do not even know how I can digest this when I do! It is only when I was off butter and buy some! And now I have decided to control more....
I usually make ghee.
So, I modify your receipe... Heat the ghee or coconut in a saucepan, put the spices and slightly cook them, so that their oils dissolve into oil. (it is said to be important for curcuma, and a little pepper with it is said to enhance its properties.)
Then add some water, any liquid, veggy broth.
I recently used the juices that came out of cooking liver with oignons and courgette, as I cooked with a lid.
And I have fresh ginger and curcuma from my garden... (pepper no way lol)

If a significant portion of my diet is starch then I start having problems with dairy AS WELL.
I have noticed the protective effect of butter, but cheese might do as well...
Not only food but mixes, are very important.

Pompadour

Westside PUFAs, thank you for finding the citations of Ray Peat. The point is not that he doesn't eat potatoes himself, the point is that they are not good enough (by his opinion) to be counted as "pro-peat" food. I think that it is important info for the novices like me.
Of course everyone can find out through self experimentation that potatoes are o'k with him. But it is not the best food choice to start with.

Xisca

I think that he has also mentionned that when he eats some, he boils them 1 hour.
And it is best food among starches for those who react too much to fructose.
All is context, so he can recommand potatoes to some people.

What is more important? What he eats himself, or how he adapts to context of other selfs?
Nobody is a clone of RP.

It is all about vocabulary, so you might want to decide of a vocabulary code to say if something is eaten by Peat, Peaty, or part of what is advised by him, Peat friendly or Pro-Peat?
Potatoe is Peat friendly even if he does not eat it himself.
A Peat friend is not Peat lol and so Peaty would mean "Peat himself"?

Xisca

This sentence is important for beginners:
"Since the contextuality of communication is always in the foreground when I talk or write, you know that someone is confusing me with an authority when they talk about my “protocol” for something. Context is everything, and it’s individual and empirical."
and
"I start with trying to make a context clear, because everyone’s context is different, and meanings change when they are learned. Ideally, things should make no sense until they make the right sense."
A beginner should change things very slowly, to respect the right of the body to adapt, but also to get the right sense.
I have just noticed I have been here 2 years now...
I am navigating in my "individual and empirical", but also trying to make bridges with others = what do we have IN COMMON.

Xisca

The point is not that he doesn't eat potatoes himself, the point is that they are not good enough (by his opinion) to be counted as "pro-peat" food.
Then with the above from RP, can you revisit that the context is that HE does not eat potatoes, but thinks they are good enough to be advised as good food by him, because he did?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals