(Twice-)Baked Potatoes

janus

Does nobody here have love for twice-baked (fridge>~90min bake>fridge, short bake when ready to eat) potatoes? Haven't seen them mentioned here, but it's my go-to potato method.

They come out moist and waxy from cooking in their own juice without the flesh being exposed to direct heat or nutrient loss, and the refrigeration and long cooking should break down starch quite effectively.

[edit: originally a response to An almost fat free, starch free experiment.]

Hi janus...this is a starch free experiment thread, so not a lot of potato love.

Now I'm wondering out loud if perhaps my odd circulation issue could be due to me ADDING starches back into my diet after avoiding them for several months...anyone know??? I'm just taking shots in the dark...

Jennifer

janus said:
Does nobody here have love for twice-baked (fridge>~90min bake>fridge, short bake when ready to eat) potatoes? Haven't seen them mentioned here, but it's my go-to potato method.

They come out moist and waxy from cooking in their own juice without the flesh being exposed to direct heat or nutrient loss, and the refrigeration and long cooking should break down starch quite effectively.
Hmm...this actually sounds like the resistant starch method. Do your potatoes end up waxy almost like potatoes in a potato salad?

OP
J

janus

thebigpeatowski said:
Hi janus...this is a starch free experiment thread, so not a lot of potato love.

I feel you on that part.

I brought it up because the process of refrigerating and cooking starchy foods serves to break the starch down into sugars before the food is eaten, so that when you eat a properly prepared potato, you may not actually be consuming much starch.

janus said:
thebigpeatowski said:

I feel you on that part.

I brought it up because the process of refrigerating and cooking starchy foods serves to break the starch down into sugars before the food is eaten, so that when you eat a properly prepared potato, you may not actually be consuming much starch.

The kind of potatoes that I've been eating over Fall/Winter are the little red new baby ones or sometimes those fancy purple colored and red fingerlings. I make a HUGE POT full and boil them for 45 minutes. I always eat a few right after boiling (cuz I can't resist) with tons of butter and salt. But yes, I then put the rest in the fridge for later. Re-fried in coconut oil with more salt and butter than should be legal is the only way to eat them....mmmm....drools.

tara

thebigpeatowski said:
But yes, I then put the rest in the fridge for later. Re-fried in coconut oil with more salt and butter than should be legal is the only way to eat them....mmmm....drools.
Yum!

OP
J

janus

Jennifer said:
Hmm...this actually sounds like the resistant starch method. Do your potatoes end up waxy almost like potatoes in a potato salad?

I haven't eaten much potato salad in my life. But when done right, they do turn out moist and soft. I find 'em palatable without added fat, which is an important plus.

Palatable without fat? How is that even possible, what do you put on them?

I could see using Fage 0% fat yogurt as a stand in for sour cream.....but I'd need boatloads of cheese and bacon bits and then we're right back to full fat.

mt_dreams

janus said:

I would suggest looking into some of the resistant starch info on the net. Anytime you cook then cool starchy foods, a lot of the starch becomes r1 resistant starch. Recooking after you have cooled your starchy food (either in the fridge or freezer) will not convert the r1 resistant starch back into regular starch, or sugar for that matter. this kind of starch may end up feeding your bacteria even more than regular cooked starch (though it might end up feeding more of the beneficial bacteria when compared to regular starch, so it might still be a plus).

Also, eating starchy food without any fat is a sure way to have a large insulin spike as all that glucose is going to digest all at once. You might be able to get away with no fat with your method b/c the starch is r1, but eating freshly cooked starch without fat will be problematic.

OP
J

janus

thebigpeatowski said:
Palatable without fat? How is that even possible, what do you put on them?

I could see using Fage 0% fat yogurt as a stand in for sour cream.....but I'd need boatloads of cheese and bacon bits and then we're right back to full fat.

Usually some combo of mushrooms, chicken breast, shrimp.

OP
J

janus

mt_dreams said:
Anytime you cook then cool starchy foods, a lot of the starch becomes r1 resistant starch. Recooking after you have cooled your starchy food (either in the fridge or freezer) will not convert the r1 resistant starch back into regular starch, or sugar for that matter.

I think we'd be talking about gelatinized/retrograded starch.

OP
J

janus

Anyone tried soaking potatoes in slaked lime? I thought of it in relation to nixtamalizing, and then found some people who actually use the technique.

Peat's_Girl

thebigpeatowski said:

Knw05Ti.png

No?... :(

mmartian

I know Peat says to boil potatoes, but has anyone noticed better effects from baking them? I've read that roasting/baking maintains the most amount of resistant starch as opposed to boiling in water. I think baked potatoes help me sleep better than boiled potatoes. I know there's some debate as to the beneficial qualities of resistant starch, but I've had nothing but success from tossing a few taters in the oven.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I know Peat says to boil potatoes, but has anyone noticed better effects from baking them?
Yes, I do seem to have better results from baking.

Peata

I do well with my homemade french fries. They only cook about five minutes. But no problems with digestion that I'm aware of.

Peata

Peata, how do you make your homemade french fries?
This is probably frowned upon, but I don't peel them. I just select ones that are not green of course, cut out any dark spot if there's one.

Two medium potatoes is what I cook at a time - it makes a meal for me, along with real-sugar Pepsi.

I wash them, slice them lengthwise, turn and slice again. Put them in a pot that has coconut oil in it. Maybe frowned on too, but I reuse the oil all week. Sometimes I add a dollop of coconut oil if it's getting low. If the oil is solidified, I still just put the french fries in. Turn up on high. As coconut oil liquifies, I stir it once to make sure french fries are covered. Keep them on high while they cook, stirring occasionally. Doesn't take more than five minutes, but depends on how thin I slice them -whether "steak fries" or "shoestring fries". When desired brownness, I take them out with a slotted utensil and drain on paper towel. Salt liberally. Eat with lots of ketchup.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals