The Japanese Diet Mystery Solved!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
mostly because of globalization and veg oils,because as far as i saw in the ton of japanese yt i see daily even the more normie person eats super nutrient dense animal foods

Plus eating so much fish nowadays isn't such a healthy thing either with all the ocean contaminants.

David PS

Hmmmm I don't think it's the rice keeping the Japanese living long.....

"Of course, not all rice contains high arsenic levels, but determining the arsenic content of a particular rice product may be difficult (or impossible) without actually measuring it in a lab. Bottom Line: Arsenic contamination is a serious concern for the millions of people who rely on rice as their staple food."

It is my understanding that the arsenic in the rice comes from fields that were formerly used to grow cotton. The pesticides used on cotton fields contained arsenic and it still remains in the soil. In the US, it is best to avoid rice grown in the deep south. see
There’s arsenic in your rice — and here’s how it got there

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It is my understanding that the arsenic in the rice comes from fields that were formerly used to grow cotton. The pesticides used on cotton fields contained arsenic and it still remains in the soil. In the US, it is best to avoid rice grown in the deep south. see
There’s arsenic in your rice — and here’s how it got there

In the last couple of days I have read that the arsenic is held in the outer hull of the rice grain. When brown rice is sprouted it sheds that toxic outer hull. I have been experimenting with the sprouted brown rice now and it feels great!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Even living in the tropics, there are many possibilities for diets rich in signal-disrupting substances, including iron, and in high latitudes there are opportunities for reducing our exposure to them. As a source of protein, milk is uniquely low in its iron content. Potatoes, because of the high quality of their protein, are probably relatively free of toxic signal-substances. Many tropical fruits, besides having relatively saturated fats, are also low in iron, and often contain important quantities of amino acids and proteins. In this context, Jeanne Calment's life-long, daily consumption of chocolate comes to mind: As she approaches her 121st birthday, she is still eating chocolate, though she has stopped smoking and drinking wine. The saturated fats in chocolate have been found to block the toxicity of oils rich in linoleic acid, and its odd proteins seem to have an anabolic action." -Ray Peat

mamakitty

Personally I try to model my diet after Kitavans of Papua New Guinea

View attachment 26259
Why?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Although symptoms of thiamin deficiency were first recorded in ancient texts of Chinese medicine, the symptoms were not connected with diet until the late 19th century. In 1884, a Japanese physician noted very high rates of illness and death among Japanese sailors eating a limited diet of only rice for months while at sea. When given a more varied diet with whole grains, meats, beans, and vegetables, rates of illness and death nearly disappeared. Around the same time, two Dutch scientists observed that chickens fed white polished rice developed leg paralysis, whereas chickens fed brown unpolished rice did not. Their observations led to the discovery of thiamin present in the outer layers of rice that were removed with polishing."

OP
Rinse & rePeat

OccamzRazer

Off topic...but I believe the health of the Japanese and other Asiatic countries is due to far more than their way(s) of eating.

They also place a great priority on:

- Honouring and staying loyal to family
- Developing qi, or life force energy

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Off topic...but I believe the health of the Japanese and other Asiatic countries is due to far more than their way(s) of eating.

They also place a great priority on:

- Honouring and staying loyal to family
- Developing qi, or life force energy
You are right on topic. I think that people think that just because the Japanese eat a "little" rice with their meals that it must be the key to their longevity, so they in turn eat lots of rice and think they are doing something healthy. The Japanese eat things in balance, they eat a "little" rice with their proteins the same as Ray Peat suggest a little sugar with proteins.

OccamzRazer

You are right on topic. I think that people think that just because the Japanese eat a "little" rice with their meals that it must be the key to their longevity, so they in turn eat lots of rice and think they are doing something healthy. The Japanese eat things in balance, they eat a "little" rice with their proteins the same as Ray Peat suggest a little sugar with proteins.
Ah, glad the topic fits ?

IIRC the traditional Okinawan diet was described as "very, very greasy." It seems like they used rice as a delivery vehicle for more protein and fat!

By the way, I totally forgot to respond to your post in the earthing/grounding thread. Looks sunny and warm over there!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ah, glad the topic fits ?

IIRC the traditional Okinawan diet was described as "very, very greasy." It seems like they used rice as a delivery vehicle for more protein and fat!

By the way, I totally forgot to respond to your post in the earthing/grounding thread. Looks sunny and warm over there!
Ha! Ha! Ha! Yes the California sun treats me well! I appreciated that uplifting thread of yours. I like taking pictures of clouds too when I am outside getting my vitamin D.

Attachments

• 20210528_140350.jpg
    20210528_140350.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 15
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Animals that naturally have a relatively low level of the highly unsaturated fats in their tissues have the greatest longevity. For example, the naked mole rate has a life expectancy of more than 28 years, about 9 times as long as other rodents of a similar size. Only about 2% to 6% of its phospholipids contain DHA, while about 27% to 57% of the phospholipids of mice contain DHA Mitchell, et al., 2007)." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The famously long-lived people of Azerbaijan eat a diet containing a low ratio of unsaturated to saturated fats, emphasizing fruits, vegetables, and dairy products (Grigorov, et al., 1991)." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Many high altitude regions of the world have high levels of background radiation, from minerals as well as cosmic rays, so it has been dogmatically believed that mortality from cancer and heart disease would increase with altitude, but the reverse is true. Because oxygen at lower pressure displaces less carbon dioxide from the blood, the body is able to retain more carbon dioxide at high altitude. Carbon dioxide protects against free radicals, and also helps to deliver oxygen to tissues, to maintain efficient energy production, and to prevent cellular stress. One study found 18 times higher incidence of hypertension in low altitude populations than in high altitude people (Fiori, et al., 2000). For many years, these principles have been applied in treating atherosclerosis and other degenerative diseases, in high altitude health resorts. Even a short period of hypoxic treatment can improve the body's ability to eliminate atherogenic lipid peroxides, possibly by improving the stress-resistant functions of the liver." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Studies in which animals were fed popular Japanese foods--“salted cuttlefish guts, broiled, salted, dried sardines, pickled radish, and soy sauce”--besides a chemical carcinogen, showed that the Japanese foods increased the number of tumors. But another study, adding only soy sauce (with a salt content of about 18%) to the diet did not increase the incidence of cancer, in another it was protective against stomach cancer (Benjamin, et al., 1991). Several studies show that dried fish and pickled vegetables are carcinogenic, probably because of the oxidized fats, and other chemical changes, and fungal contamination, which are likely to be worse without the salt. Animals fed dried fish were found to have mutagenic urine, apparently as a result of toxic materials occurring in various preserved foods (Fong, et al., 1979).

Although preserved foods develop many peculiar toxins, even fresh fish in the diet have been found to be associated with increased cancer risk (Phukan, et al., 2006)." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"More than one billion adults are overweight worldwide, and more than 300 million of them clinically obese, raising the risk of many serious diseases. Only 3.6 percent of Japanese have a body mass index (BMI) over 30, which is the international standard for obesity, whereas 32.0 percent of Americans do. A total of 66.5 percent of Americans have a BMI over 25, making them overweight, but only 24.7 percent of Japanese. This paper examines the reasons Japan has one of the lowest rates of obesity in the world and the United States one of the highest, giving particular attention to underlying economic factors that might be influenced by policy changes. The average person in Japan consumes over 200 fewer calories per day than the average American. Food prices are substantially higher in Japan, but the traditional Japanese dietary habits, although changing, are also healthier. The Japanese are also far more physically active than Americans, but not because they do more planned physical exercise. They walk more as part of their daily lives. They walk more because the cost of driving an automobile is far higher in Japan, whereas public transportation is typically very convenient, but normally requires more walking than the use of a car. In terms of policy solutions, economic incentives could be structured to encourage Americans to drive less and use public transportation more, which would typically also mean walking more."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals