CARNIVORES vs VEGETARIANS

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“…a higher number of schizophrenia patients had a vegetarian diet. A vegetarian diet lacks tryptophan ⁠— an amino acid used by the body to produce NAD without using vitamin B3. A gene-linked deficiency of NAPRT1 and the lack of tryptophan in the diet may aggravate the overall scarcity of NAD.”

Runenight201

I'd rather be a vegetarian than a carnivore. The lack of carbohydrates is a serious problem from carnivorous diets. At least with a vegetarian diet you can consume eggs and dairy, and that should be sufficient for a robust diet. If I had to pick between a vegan diet or a carnivore diet, I think I'd choose a vegan diet, because I really prefer having carbohydrates. The conscious states of not consuming carbohydrates is not enjoyable. Eventually the lack of high qualiy protein certainly causes problems but I believe those problems to be better than the lack of carbohydrate problem. Overall tho, I prefer being an omnivore the most :):

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'd rather be a vegetarian than a carnivore. The lack of carbohydrates is a serious problem from carnivorous diets. At least with a vegetarian diet you can consume eggs and dairy, and that should be sufficient for a robust diet. If I had to pick between a vegan diet or a carnivore diet, I think I'd choose a vegan diet, because I really prefer having carbohydrates. The conscious states of not consuming carbohydrates is not enjoyable. Eventually the lack of high qualiy protein certainly causes problems but I believe those problems to be better than the lack of carbohydrate problem. Overall tho, I prefer being an omnivore the most :):
If I had to choose between a vegan diet, which means no dairy, I would rather be a carnivore. I could thrive on cheese, eggs and seafood, but when it was a vegetarian, I gained so much cellulite and fat, in a short amount of time. Now I could manage being a vegetarian with dairy, but vegan no way. My son was a vegetarian for 4 years and he looked terrible and his kidneys were having issues. The oxalate dumping from his kidneys, when he went back to meat, was scary.

Runenight201

If I had to choose between a vegan diet, which means no dairy, I would rather be a carnivore. I could thrive on cheese, eggs and seafood, but when it was a vegetarian, I gained so much cellulite and fat, in a short amount of time. Now I could manage being a vegetarian with dairy, but vegan no way. My son was a vegetarian for 4 years and he looked terrible and his kidneys were having issues. The oxalate dumping from his kidneys, when he went back to meat, was scary.

Yea the vegan lack of bioavailable nutrients would be very difficult to manage. I’d have to eat a lot of mushrooms and protein powders and supplements to try and survive.

Thankfully we live in a society where we can eat omnivorously, and we should keep it that way

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yea the vegan lack of bioavailable nutrients would be very difficult to manage. I’d have to eat a lot of mushrooms and protein powders and supplements to try and survive.

Thankfully we live in a society where we can eat omnivorously, and we should keep it that way
It is not just the protein, but also the poor calcium and lack of saturated fats that is missing from vegan and strict vegetarian diets, from a Ray Peat perspective.

Runenight201

It is not just the protein, but also the poor calcium and lack of saturated fats that is missing from vegan and strict vegetarian diets, from a Ray Peat perspective.

A vegetarian diet can get you plenty of calcium and saturated fat! Cheese and milk! Honestly, a lot of the times I feel better eating cheesy toast than eating purely meat and starch. The calcium really does something. What many people are missing from their diets are calcium and magnesium, which, if you’re not consuming dairy, has to come from vegetation, which many people don’t eat in sufficient quantities

The vegan diet tho…yea that’s really limiting. But so is the carnivore diet. Imo both extremes are terrible. They have to be avoided. If you’re avoiding carbs you are going to run into problems. Same with avoiding animal nutrients. It’s almost like the most evolutionary advantageous diet is to be an omnivore…

OP
Rinse & rePeat
A vegetarian diet can get you plenty of calcium and saturated fat! Cheese and milk! Honestly, a lot of the times I feel better eating cheesy toast than eating purely meat and starch. The calcium really does something. What many people are missing from their diets are calcium and magnesium, which, if you’re not consuming dairy, has to come from vegetation, which many people don’t eat in sufficient quantities

The vegan diet tho…yea that’s really limiting. But so is the carnivore diet. Imo both extremes are terrible. They have to be avoided. If you’re avoiding carbs you are going to run into problems. Same with avoiding animal nutrients. It’s almost like the most evolutionary advantageous diet is to be an omnivore…
I have tried the carnivore diet, and felt terrible. I had leg cramps in the night from the lack of carbohydrates. It really is a balance.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
If I were a vegetarian now, I would make sure I cooked my vegetables, skip the salads and grains and up my dairy. That would have been so much better.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Runenight201

If I were a vegetarian now, I would make sure I cooked my vegetables, skip the salad and grains and up my dairy. That would have been so much better.

Runenight201

I have tried the carnivore diet, and felt terrible. I had leg cramps in the night from the lack of carbohydrates. It really is a balance.

Gah that sucks, that’s probably going to keep you from being able to enter into deep, restorative REM sleep as well, which is even going to further exacerbate problems

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Gah that sucks, that’s probably going to keep you from being able to enter into deep, restorative REM sleep as well, which is even going to further exacerbate problems
The carnivore diet AND Blood-Type Diet which was high in tryptophan, and phosphorus had my hair graying too. Once I started eating “Peaty”, cutting out the grains and so much meat a lot of the gray, thankfully, reversed.

Actually my gray hair started with the vegetarian diet, when I was heavier on grains and beans. Then I went into the other two diets, and cut out dairy, which had the gray hair continuing.

Runenight201

The carnivore diet AND Blood-Type Diet which was high in tryptophan, and phosphorus had my my hair graying too. Once I started eating “Peaty”, cutting out the grains and so much meat a lot of the gray, thankfully, reversed.
I can tell you’re hair is looking pretty 🔥in that profile pic…

I’m definitely on the hair loss side of things if I don’t keep the diet on point, which will happen if I drop the carbs. So sad to see so many men saying it’s just genetics when it’s definitely dietarily driven but I get it, when you don’t have an answer you have to cope some how

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You made me smile with that compliment @Runenight201. I still don’t color my hair either, just honey in the winter and sun in the summer keeps it a nice color.

Attachments

• EDA77B6A-848B-4134-9D5C-5755F6CA5A77.jpeg
    EDA77B6A-848B-4134-9D5C-5755F6CA5A77.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 33
OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• B09C0E2A-6B31-47AA-952B-9F7C5B98313B.jpeg
    B09C0E2A-6B31-47AA-952B-9F7C5B98313B.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“For vegetarians, vegans, and people who live in developing countries, low intakes of meat combined with high intakes of phytic acid foods like cereal grains and legumes can lead to serious deficiencies.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals