Intense Craving For Red Meat. But I've Never Had It In My Life

lampofred

I've been Peat-ing for a few months now and have seen many changes. Recently, I've been starting get these intense cravings for red meat. I've been a vegetarian my entire life (20 years), so I don't know how it's even possible for me to crave something I've never had. I smell it when my roommates are using the grill or barbecue, so maybe that's what my brain is going off of? Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a Peat-style explanation for this... I tried Googling cravings in general and the only answer I found was that red meat cravings are due to an iron deficiency, but that doesn't make sense because I eat beans and cereal with iron.

The thought of perfectly seasoned pork chops and barbecued ribs is making my mouth water beyond belief, and I'm trying to figure out the nutritional reason for this...

D

Derek

I've been Peat-ing for a few months now and have seen many changes. Recently, I've been starting get these intense cravings for red meat. I've been a vegetarian my entire life (20 years), so I don't know how it's even possible for me to crave something I've never had. I smell it when my roommates are using the grill or barbecue, so maybe that's what my brain is going off of? Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a Peat-style explanation for this... I tried Googling cravings in general and the only answer I found was that red meat cravings are due to an iron deficiency, but that doesn't make sense because I eat beans and cereal with iron.

The thought of perfectly seasoned pork chops and barbecued ribs is making my mouth water beyond belief, and I'm trying to figure out the nutritional reason for this...

Zinc. High amounts of calcium and sugar use up all of your zinc reserves.

FredSonoma

I think it might be zinc... not sure why but I've read a couple times that "standard" Peating (too much OJ and Milk namely) can deplete zinc. I find the same thing has happened to me, I always enjoyed red meat as a kid but didn't experience the intense cravings I have for it now.

keith

I think my protein requirements have increased either from eating this way. I tend to crave high protein foods, meat in particular. You could try adding more protein, if zinc doesn't work. Salt is another possibility; I seem to need more of that now as well. I do get specific red meat cravings also, and although, unlike you, I do eat it, I don't always have some handy when I get a hankering, and I find any high protein, high salt meal will work just as well for eliminating the craving for me. I may play around with the zinc part myself; I hadn't thought of that playing any role. There seems to be plenty in my diet from an RDA perspective, but that doesn't always mean anything.

I was vegetarian for a while (longest stretch was over 2 years, but I've made multiple attempts), for ethnical reasons, but didn't ever feel that I was able to meet my protein requirements, which seem to be abnormally high. I came to the conclusion that I couldn't be vegan because I couldn't find a way to do it without feeling sickly, and if I was going to do dairy, I might as well eat meat, because of the way that food production chain works. That doesn't mean I think my choice is right for you. I just mention it, because I empathize with your situation. Hope some or all of these tips work for you.

lvysaur

I always enjoyed red meat as a kid but didn't experience the intense cravings I have for it now.

I was the opposite, I craved animal flesh all the time since the age of 4, and only in my late teens started appreciating sweet foods

lindsay

I was vegetarian for about 8 years and there are so many deficiencies that can occur when you don't eat at least a little meat. B Vitamins and Zinc, protein, etc. I quit being vegetarian about 3 years ago, but still don't eat a lot of red meat (because of the iron). But I was also craving it recently and yesterday I had a huge grass-fed local steak. It was fantastic. If you choose to not eat meat, you will need to find other options - lots of eggs or some seafood (oysters are good). But if you decide to eat meat, let yourself have it when you crave it. In my opinion, ignoring cravings is not a good thing (unless you are craving canola oil).

Brian

Would oysters be better for zinc than red meat?

I think it depends on the state of your metabolism whether you can handle the high amount of copper that is in oysters. If your ceruloplasmin is low than I think red meat is the better choice. That was my experience at least.

But I'm pretty sure the key issue is raising ATP and magnesium first if its low and getting calcium to be properly regulated before focusing on the minor minerals. Minerals like zinc and copper don't seem to behave correctly without magnesium dependent enzymes being high first. A small of amount of zinc supplementation also seem to work well in those conditions.

Last edited:
D

Derek

Would oysters be better for zinc than red meat?

I think red meat is cleaner, and a more practical source of zinc than oysters. Oysters are high in heavy metals, also copper and iron is much higher in oysters.

D

Derek

I think it depends on the state of your metabolism whether you can handle the high amount of copper that is in oysters. If your ceruloplasmin is low than I think red meat is the better choice. That was my experience at least.

But I'm pretty sure the key issue is raising ATP and magnesium first if its low and getting calcium to be properly regulated before focusing on the minor minerals. Minerals like zinc and copper don't seem to behave correctly without magnesium dependent enzymes being high first. A small of amount of zinc supplementation also seem to work well in those conditions.

I agree that magnesium is important, I disagree that zinc is a minor mineral. Zinc is involved in just as many enzymatic processes as magnesium. Zinc and magnesium dependent enzymes can substitute for one another. Foods that contain zinc/copper usually don't have magnesium, so I don't agree that you need high magnesium dependent enzymes in order to utilize zinc/copper. Zinc is also the most pro-thyroid mineral, IMO. Zinc is also just as important for utilizing calcium as magnesium is. I've seen people cure cavities by upping their zinc intake alone.

Brian

I agree that magnesium is important, I disagree that zinc is a minor mineral. Zinc is involved in just as many enzymatic processes as magnesium. Zinc is the most pro-thyroid mineral. Zinc is also just as important for utilizing calcium as magnesium is. I've seen people cure cavities by upping their zinc intake alone.

I meant just minor in terms of a percentage of the total mineral content of the body, but my experience agrees on your point that calcium is poorly regulated when zinc is low and taking in high amounts of calcium in that condition is likely to harm general metabolism.

I think many people who have been hypo for a long time are probably better off focusing on higher calories, magnesium and zinc first, before they increase calcium intake to the 1-2 grams+ range.

D

Derek

I meant just minor in terms of a percentage of the total mineral content of the body, but my experience agrees on your point that calcium is poorly regulated when zinc is low and taking in high amounts of calcium in that condition is likely to harm general metabolism.

I think many people who have been hypo for a long time are probably better off focusing on magnesium and zinc first, before they increase calcium to the 1-2 grams+ range.

I haven't posted on here in a while Brian, but I think we have already talked about this in the past. We agree more than we disagree on these issues for sure. Also, add sodium, selenium, potassium and manganese to the zinc and magnesium. These are the 6 most important minerals for someone with hypothyroidism. Which is why I recommend a diet of: Refined starch, salt, fruits/vegetables, meat & eggs for people with hypothyroidism; this addresses all the aforementioned minerals.

Last edited by a moderator:

allblues

I've also been craving meat, and have followed my instincts. Beef gives me an androgenic response like nothing else.
Testicles turn into rocks within minutes of eating just 1 or 2 tablespoons worth, really nothing else i've tried does this.
I plan to keep eating. ;)

Peater Piper

My first thought when you mentioned red meat was zinc, but pork in particular may be the best source of thiamin there is, and it's also loaded with selenium.

OP
L

lampofred

Since I had been a vegetarian my entire life, I didn't know how to make steak/ribs/etc. and I didn't want to spend too much money at a restaurant in case I didn't like it. So, I just got 2 double cheeseburgers from McDonald's instead as an introduction to meat...they were extremely underwhelming and not filling at all. I thought cheeseburgers were really filling/satisfying/calorie-dense from all I hear about McDonald's and fast food being super fatty and the classic American junk food, but they were barely a snack, and the meat had barely any flavor. I still don't know why I was craving meat so badly because I looked at the vitamins/minerals on cronometer, and I've been getting everything that the cheeseburger had to offer, but I'm no longer craving meat anymore...

Also, the double cheeseburger seems Peat-friendly except for the iron content and the fact that the carbs are in the form of starch, not sugar...lots of saturated fat and sodium and low PUFA, lots of minerals and B-vitamins, more calcium than phosphorous. But I'm ignoring all the added chemicals, and I'm sure Peat would consider those problematic.

Last edited:
OP
L

lampofred

I think many people who have been hypo for a long time are probably better off focusing on higher calories, magnesium and zinc first, before they increase calcium intake to the 1-2 grams+ range.

1-2 grams? I get like 5-6 grams a day... I though high calcium intake was good to lower parathyroid hormone?

Brian

1-2 grams? I get like 5-6 grams a day... I though high calcium intake was good to lower parathyroid hormone?

I think it depends. If ATP, mag and zinc are low, very high calcium doesn't seem to have much of a parathyroid lowering effect. And in my experience if they are high enough, less calcium is needed to have a potent drop in prolactin and parathyroid hormones.

Last edited:

Syncopated

Bean's and grains provide different iron than red meat. Bean's and grains provide non-cape iron. Very inferior to red meat iron.

EIRE24

I have increased my intake of protein mostly in the form of beef and crave it like crazy. I am letting my body guide and eat as much as I want of it to appetite but I have noticed that my body odor has increased and I sweat much more than usual leaving that sweaty smell. Is this some sort of sign?

Damn that’s crazy, meat is so unnatural :cool

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals