CARNIVORES vs VEGETARIANS

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is terrifying. Did all grains have that effect, even white rice?

I can definitely echo the sentiment that wheat can be extremely addictive to some. I found it very difficult to give up and my cravings haven't subsided even after years.
Today’s “Frankenwheat” has been altered so much so that our bodies don’t recognize their molecular structures to enable them to process them like the unaltered grains from a hundred years ago. Those heirloom grains we can still buy today, thanks to caring farmers that protected, and still are protecting their seeds all these decades later, from the greedy growers that don’t care what happens past getting their money and passing off the bombs.

My dad contracted Montezuma’s revenge in Mexico in his later thirties, which I theorize, left him a prime candidate for dementia. His impaired intestinal walls, easily allowed grain molecules to pass into his blood steam and into his brain. Todays grains, no doubt, cause inflammation, especially in the digestive system, so it would behoove us all to cut back or out, our consumption of them, or at least switch to the heirloom varieties, especially people with impaired digestion already, for whatever reason. ….

“According to Dr. Hyman, a leader in Functional Medicine and a four-time New York Times bestselling author of such books as The Blood Sugar Solution, this new wheat is a triple threat:

It contains twice the number of chromosomes. This means it codes for a much larger variety of gluten proteins, or “super gluten,” as Dr. Hyman likes to say.

It contains high levels of a “super starch” amylopectin A, which excels at making both Cinabons and bellies swell.

And it’s full of wheat polypeptides called gluteomorphins, which trigger an opiate-like response in the brain, so guess what? You’ll want more Frankenwheat.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Gluten exorphins have an opioid effect.
It sure does! I have a girlfriend who is so addicted to grains that she tried going without it to lose weight, and couldn’t go past the third day because she was hostile, agitated and could focus on anything else, but the grains she couldn’t have. She was amazed that she lost three pounds in those three days, but she said the turmoil it put her through wasn’t worth it.

“Gluten is the main structural protein complex of wheat consisting of glutenins and gliadins. Glutenins are polymers of individual proteins and are the fraction of wheat proteins that are soluble in dilute acids. Prolamins are the alcohol-soluble proteins of cereal grains that are specifically named gliadins in wheat [1], which can be further degraded to a collection of opioid-like polypeptides called exorphins in the gastrointestinal tract [2]. Gliadin epitopes from wheat gluten and related prolamins from other gluten-containing cereal grains, including rye and barley, can trigger celiac disease (CD) in genetically susceptible people [3], and accumulating data provide evidence for the deleterious effects of gluten intake on general human health.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is a pretty good video for the carnivore side of the argument. Of course he’s not right about everything but no one is. I do appreciate that he seems sincere and not flashy or phony.

View: https://youtu.be/C-WUb3mJEso

This is an interesting video Blossom. A 17 year life expectancy in a golden retriever in the 70’s and now it is 9 years now because of plants in the pet food is something to think about. His fiber “resting the bowel” angle was interesting too, and makes a lot of sense. The teeth issues that people have in just a couple of generations, from the changes in their diets, is something I have talked about on the forum often. I have seen it in my own self. I had no idea that wisdom teeth are not coming in as well. On that note I have a fifth wisdom tooth, I wonder what that indicates in my family’s diet?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
On that note I have a fifth wisdom tooth, I wonder what that indicates in my family’s diet?
I’d think it points to it historically being good/your ancestors were well adapted to whatever they were eating.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"If you depend on chicken for your major protein, it will contribute to suppressing your thyroid and progesterone. Increased salt helps to increase your metabolic rate. Low thyroid makes you lose salt too easily, and temporarily just eating more salt helps to make up for low thyroid-adrenals-progesterone." -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“To cope with the surging almond demand, farmers have been drilling into the ground to tap into aquifers.

"Overpumping of aquifers threatens infrastructure like roads, which stand to collapse into sunken ground," said The Atlantic. It could also trigger earthquakes, explained a seminal piece by Mother Jones last year.

Another knock-on effect is the collapse of honeybee colonies. California uses about 60 per cent of the US's managed honeybees to pollinate the almond trees, but up to 25 per cent are dying from the pesticides.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Almond milk is considered to be a goitrogenic food. That means it contains chemicals that can harm the thyroid when consumed in large amounts. For people whose thyroid function is low, you must refrain from consuming almond milk or consume it in moderation.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“To grow one orange requires 14 gallons of water, a cup of coffee 35 gallons, one potato 100 gallons, a glass of dairy milk 48 gallons and a half-cup of tofu 61 gallons. One almond (technically a seed, not a tree nut) needs about 3.2 gallons to reach maturity; almost 1,300 gallons are needed to grow a pound. The source of almond milk, although positioned as an eco-friendly alternative to cow’s milk, is usually treated with methoxyfenozide, which threatens honeybee health. With a global market of more than $5 billion, the beverage’s footprint is increasingly detrimental to the drought-plagued state of California. Walnuts, hazelnuts and pistachios consume as much water or more, but almonds are in higher demand. The “Eureka” state supplies 80 percent of the world’s almond supply, covering more than 1.5 million acres in the Central Valley. Water from ancient aquifers there is being pumped out for irrigation faster than it can be recharged.

According to the California Department of Pesticide Regulation, almond orchards were treated with more pesticides than any other local crop in 2017. Harmful chemicals are sprayed year-round to combat ants, mites, leafrollers, peach twig borers and weeds. Also, fertilizer pollution can spike drinking water with hazardous nitrates. Instead, consumers can purchase milk that is packaged in sustainably sourced and recyclable materials and buy shelf-stable milk to conserve energy from refrigeration.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Naturally grown free-range chickens used to be favored, because they could eat anything they wanted, but now eggs laid by factory chickens, eating an industrial corn-and-soy diet, are from “vegetarian chickens,” because the marketers know the public will favor eggs that have the vegetarian mystique.”
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The estrogenic properties of legumes were studied when sheep farmers found that their sheep miscarried when they ate clover. (I think it's interesting how this terribly toxic effect has been neglected in recent decades.) All legumes have this property, and all parts of the plant seem to contain some of the active chemicals. In beans, several substances have been found to contribute to the effect. The estrogenic effects of the seed oils and the isoflavones have been studied the most, but the well-known antithyroid actions (again, involving the oils, the isoflavones, and other molecules found in legumes) have an indirect estrogen-promoting action, since hypothyroidism leads to hyperestrogenism. (Estrogens are known to be thyroid suppressors, so the problem tends to be self-accelerating.)

The various specific actions of the many estrogenic substances in beans and other legumes haven't been throughly studied, but there is evidence that they are also--like estrogen itself--both mutagenic and carcinogenic.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When I was developing the Bulletproof Diet, I spent three months eating primarily meat and fat (the Inuit diet). I felt great for about a month, but severely restricting my carbohydrates dramatically lowered my sleep quality and gave me new food allergies.
There are downsides to long-term carnivore diets. Namely, you disrupt your gut bacteria (which you can measure with a Viome test). Using Bulletproof collagen protein may help. Also, a diet high in meat amino acids tryptophan, cysteine, and methionine is shown to increase aging and cancer risk.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
In this clip (below) Ray talks about the quality of different proteins and how the body can’t entirely use many of them. He says only 6% of pea protein and legumes can be used, Elk 70%, egg yolk 100%, and potatoes over 100%

View: https://youtu.be/BaT9rH8pWUg?t=2815

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The historical economic importance of cereals and beans is reflected in the nutritional and biochemical research literature, which has paid relatively little attention to basic questions about human adaptation to the ecosystems. From the early petrochemical “Green Revolution” to the contemporary imposition of genetically altered seeds, the accumulated economic power of the food industry has taken control of the food culture.

In evaluating each research publication relating to nutrition and health, we should ask what alternative possibilities are being neglected, for “practical” reasons, cultural preferences, and business interests.

Some people with an ecological concern have argued that grains and beans can most economically provide the proteins and calories that people need, but good nutrition involves much more than the essential nutrients.

“Efficient” industrial agriculture has been concerned with cheaply producing those important nutrients, and their critics have focussed on their use of toxic chemicals, on the social damage they produce, the degradation of the soil, the toxic effects of genetic modification, their unsustainable use of petroleum, and occasionally on the lower nutritional value of chemically stimulated crops.” -Ray Peat​

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• 1BE604B2-3353-437C-8116-D618C1707AB0.jpeg
    1BE604B2-3353-437C-8116-D618C1707AB0.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 22
  • C92B6473-72A7-453A-B662-59EE2FB2E723.jpeg
    C92B6473-72A7-453A-B662-59EE2FB2E723.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 21
  • ECFD9859-78F7-4BD8-BA35-7E77EC870B97.jpeg
    ECFD9859-78F7-4BD8-BA35-7E77EC870B97.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 22
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The thing is I tried being a vegan high carber (811 style)
for only 4 months.

The shocking thing happened to me only 2 months in, my
testicles shrunk by around 50%, massive testosterone
decrease??? Not right nutrients to produce sperm???
Sexdrive also dropped dramatically, I’m 30 years old and was
in excellent health before I started and was eating pretty
low carb paleo.

Now I’ve heard of many stories of sexdrive dropping but I
haven’t heard really any story out there about testicles
shrinking so not sure what to think of this.
Also this happened so fast (2 months vegan, I quit vegan
after 4 monts), I transisioned into vegan from very high fat
low carb in just 2 weeks, maybe it was too agressive for the
body?”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The O’Learys have two other children together, ages 3 and 5, whom police saw at their residence in September. One had blackened and decaying teeth, the News-Press reported, at both were extremely malnourished, weighing under the third percentile for their age groups.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals