Viscosity As An Overlooked Factor In Controlling The Glycemic Response Of A Meal

Amazoniac

People that still believe that the earth is flat and that South America actually exists,

I’m not sure if I already posted this study on the forum or not. The “Ray’s surprising response on a vegan diet” thread by @Westside PUFAs reminded me of it; and also his first uploaded video on his youtube page.

http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJCN/17/4/663.pdf

“Soluble viscous fibers generally have a greater effect on carbohydrate metabolism in the small intestine by delaying gastric emptying, although a slowed rate of absorption may also play a role.3, 4 Here, natural vegetables with viscosity might affect carbohydrate metabolism by a similar mechanism. For example, the prolonged satiety after the viscous meal, as assessed by visual analog scales, may reflect delayed gastric emptying.”

“Purified fibers generally have a lower molecular weight and particle size, which decreases linearly with the degree of hydration and physiological activity.6 Thus, increases in postprandial glucose and insulin concentrations would be suppressed much more strongly by naturally viscous vegetables than by the purified form of viscous fibers.”

“Both carbohydrate and protein amounts can be stimulating factors of insulin secretion. These findings suggested that the evaluation as mixed meal, not each single food, is important to provide scientific evidence.”
This comment was addressed the fact that the meal with plain white rice and wasser required significantly less insulin than a whole meal.

“The amount of fat in a Japanese meal based on white rice as a staple food is low because white rice contains little fat and goes well with low-fat side dishes. The fact that the GI of foods can be reduced by adding fat has been demonstrated.14 However, a high-fat diet induces hypertriacylglyceridemia, which induces insulin resistance15 and has damaging effects on endothelial function, producing oxidative stress and inflammation.16 Because the addition of a low-fat viscous side dish to white rice did not increase postprandial serum triacylglyceride, this combination may be effective for glycemic control, insulin resistance and cardiovascular diseases.”

I suspect that even the amylose to amylopectin ratio might affect the glycemic response.
As always, questions should be addressed to burtlancast.

F1.medium.gif

haidut

Forum Supporter
People that still believe that the earth is flat and that South America actually exists,

I’m not sure if I already posted this study on the forum or not. The “Ray’s surprising response on a vegan diet” thread by @Westside PUFAs reminded me of it; and also his first uploaded video on his youtube page.

http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJCN/17/4/663.pdf

“Soluble viscous fibers generally have a greater effect on carbohydrate metabolism in the small intestine by delaying gastric emptying, although a slowed rate of absorption may also play a role.3, 4 Here, natural vegetables with viscosity might affect carbohydrate metabolism by a similar mechanism. For example, the prolonged satiety after the viscous meal, as assessed by visual analog scales, may reflect delayed gastric emptying.”

“Purified fibers generally have a lower molecular weight and particle size, which decreases linearly with the degree of hydration and physiological activity.6 Thus, increases in postprandial glucose and insulin concentrations would be suppressed much more strongly by naturally viscous vegetables than by the purified form of viscous fibers.”

“Both carbohydrate and protein amounts can be stimulating factors of insulin secretion. These findings suggested that the evaluation as mixed meal, not each single food, is important to provide scientific evidence.”
This comment was addressed the fact that the meal with plain white rice and wasser required significantly less insulin than a whole meal.

“The amount of fat in a Japanese meal based on white rice as a staple food is low because white rice contains little fat and goes well with low-fat side dishes. The fact that the GI of foods can be reduced by adding fat has been demonstrated.14 However, a high-fat diet induces hypertriacylglyceridemia, which induces insulin resistance15 and has damaging effects on endothelial function, producing oxidative stress and inflammation.16 Because the addition of a low-fat viscous side dish to white rice did not increase postprandial serum triacylglyceride, this combination may be effective for glycemic control, insulin resistance and cardiovascular diseases.”

I suspect that even the amylose to amylopectin ratio might affect the glycemic response.
As always, questions should be addressed to burtlancast.

This would potentially explain why gelatin reduces the glycemic load of a meal. That, and also the fact that glycine seems to act like insulin and the body releases less insulin when it senses glycine is available.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Jam Making 101: The Secrets to Getting Jam to Set Like a Pro

"The ultimate goal in jam-making is to form a molecular web that holds all of the fruit's juices together. And the molecule that forms the web is none other than pectin."
"It's most concentrated in the skins and cores of fruit, with some types, like apples and citrus, having particularly high levels."
"And when enough water has evaporated (with whatever's left still doing its thing with the sugar), the jam has finally arrived at its gel point. That means the pectin molecules are fully able to stick to each other and form a 3-dimensional web in which the remaining sugary juices are all held like water in a sponge."

Wagner83

Do you guys have an idea how to reintroduce a broader selection of both fruits and vegetables in the diet? Many cause sinus, nose, ears , upper back and neck problems in a short time frame. Those problems are accompanied by the classics: smelly feces and wiping galore. It would be nice to add fibers to those refined starchy carbohydrates. I can't always eat the old pineapple, the kiwis (high amounts = eye annoyance btw), and even less so beet greens (nitrates). Should one push through the detox symptoms :ss2?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals