Instant Potatoes

narouz

Dean said:
I do remember reading that thread about whether Peating was easy or whatever and agreeing with your side of the argument. I think there is alot of self-convincing affirmation going on when people claim that Peating is as easy as pie. That's not to say that restricting yourself to Peat approved foods is unsatisfying or deficient, just that given the world we live in, it isn't easy or going to be easy, especially long term.

Yes. After all, it is true to assert that a Peat diet is easy
if you also believe
that a Peat diet is anything that any individual wants it to be.
(You may think I jest. But many "Peatians" do believe this. :roll: )

Dean said:
I am guilty of engaging in clumsy shorthand with my statement about Peat not following his own diet optimally anymore. What I meant to say and should have said that I find it curious that Dr. Peat eats meat as much as he does, given everything he's written about tryptophan/serotonin and the inconvenience of all the gelatin and coffee one has to have with it to offset the negatives.

I was responding to something over in the "Notes Toward" thread a bit ago which was related.
Someone was saying that a cow icon was inappropriate in representing a Peat diet.
The poster said that a cow used like that would make people feel guilty
because they might think it would imply that we might eat a cow.

Well...Peat does think we should eat that cow!
Every bit of it: liver, tongue, hooves, bones, tail, kidney, eyes, snout, ears, feet...
well, maybe not too much of the muscle meat.
Liver and gelatin and bone broth are obviously Peat-endorsed options on a Peat diet.

My point is: animal foods are strongly and centrally recommended Peat options.
There's no getting around that.
Well...I take that back.
One could do a Peat diet while avoiding all animal foods besides milk/cheese.
It would be a challenge to find some nutrients, but it could be done I think.
Now...could you not eat any animal food at all, including milk on a Peat diet?
Really tough. I don't think so.

So back to Peat and his meat eating.
I personally see it as an indicator that Peat is human.
That he has food Desires.
And some of those foods he Desires are not optimal.
But I bet if you could see exactly what Peat's diet is,
meat would not be that big of a part.
I bet it would be on the periphery.
And I bet he tends to eat cuts that contain more balanced amino profiles
and/or to supplement with gelatin to make that profile less stressful.

Dean

I guess I'm happy Dr. Peat, you, and others are eating the meat--so I can get to the gelatin for jello and marshmallows...and liver, I suppose. For me though, right now, I put meat, whether it be steak, oxtails, shanks or whatever, in the "why bother?" category. Don't get me wrong, very little food-wise gives me the pleasure of a steak, grilled medium-rare, but with all the coffee and gelatin you need to buffer it, it hardly seems worth the trouble.

In the spirit of esoteric exercise, two other points come to mind around this issue:

1) If we had never subjected ourselves to PUFA's and gluten, etc. or could reset ourselves through Peating, would gelatin and liver continue to be necessary for the rest of our lives? Could we live (or return) to living in the land of milk and honey (or oj/fruit)?

2) Taking into account the nutritional, ecological, and environmental aspects of a humanity most in need of an animal's milk, gelatin, and liver (organ meats), are cows the right choice? Cows are pretty inefficient in terms of water conversion to end product, they are large-so have a higher percentage of the less desirable (muscle meat) to what is nutrient dense in Peat-think. Wouldn't goats or sheep, be better choices?

I'm curious what Dr. Peat would have to say about this. I've never heard him talk about things from an ecological/environmental perspective. I guess his opinion might also depend some on how the milk of goat and sheep compares to that of the cow nutritionally.

Just ruminating. Guess we kind of lost the plot on the whole instant potato question. Sorry, Charlie! Feel free to split this off...or let it float off into the esoteric ether. Either way, I vote that you deserve a raise.

narouz

Dean-
I'd like to hear from Peat how exactly he thinks of meat eating in terms of nutrition.
Like I said, my guess is that it is mostly just that he Desires that meat--
it is appetite satisfaction, that is,
rather than nutritional need.

But it's not impossible that Peat thinks some peripheral ruminant meat eating,
even muscle meat eating,
has some benefits.
Maybe it has some valuable nutrients.

I guess I'm in sortuv the same ballpark as you with meat-eating.
I crave it, some.
Not nearly as much as I used to under different dietary regimes.
But...I still do crave at least a little meat like every other day.
Sometimes Peat seems to think that appetite
can guide us toward stuff we need, healthy stuff.
Maybe Peat obeys that appetite to an extent.

Incidentally, I think I'll resurrect an old, related meat-eating issue: chicken.
When I began the seemingly unkillable "Notes Toward" thread,
you'll see that at that time I had the (sad) interpretation of Peat
that chickens are PUFA Death.
Over the months I've eased up on that a little bit.
If you look at food charts that show PUFA content in chicken
you'll find I think that chicken without the skin has the same PUFA content as beef.
This would maybe make sense, because the skin and just under the skin is where all (well most)
of the fat is. An PUFA is fat.
A couple of caveats to this admittedly unproven angle:
1. the only charts I could find showed...I forget which...but only the omega 3 or omega 6.
Not both.
And they're both PUFA.
So...I could be wrong on my angle for that reason.
2. there is almost certainly more fat (how much?)
in chicken meat than just the skin and the subcutaneous fat.
So...another possible hole in my notion.

At any rate, I will confess, that about 2 days a week when I go to my neighborhood healthfood store,
I have a smallish piece of organic (but not much pasture-fed, yes; mostly PUFA grain I'm sure) chicken without
the skin.
I feel some guilt.
But...I do crave meat.
Most of the time this healthfood store's big serve-yourself buffet has no beef.
Chicken is so much cheaper than beef.
Sometimes I will buy a small chicken breast at that store and sautee some of it in butter and coconut oil
and have it on a Peat-tortilla with cheese.
This does satisfy my meat craving.
That chicken breast, like half a pound, lasts me about a week.
My temps and pulses seem to like it: I'm always very warm and pulsive after.

I'm not arguing that the chicken thing is Peatian.
I'm just confessin' that I eat it because I really Want it. :oops:

chris

I wouldn't feel guilt towards chicken a little chicken every so often, do you take vitamin e narouz?

I don't understand the big deal with chicken, everyone seems to love it but I'd take beef over chicken, every time.

Dean

As far as chicken goes, it's never done it for me. I can't remember the last time I ate chicken meat. The only parts that really appeal to me are the skin, the schmaltz, and the broth, which is tastier than beef or lamb, as far as I am concerned. Chicken meat I've never found to be enjoyable or satisfying to eat.

For the first 20 years or so of my adulthood I was a quasi-vegetarian getting most of my animal protein from ice cream or cheese on pizza or salad or an intentioned vegetarian or vegan. When I finally washed out on that, I jumped on the omega 3 bandwagon with salmon and learned about grass-fed, etc. Couldn't afford grass-fed beef so I kind of settled on pastured turkey legs (along with salmon) for awhile, as I found it more satisfying than chicken.

Eventually I came to be able to afford grass-fed, dove into meat-centric diets like low-carb, paleo, even "zero" carb and pretty exclusively relied on beef, goat, lamb and fish. No real interest at all in chicken, turkey, or even pork. Even though, as I said, I enjoy a grilled steak very much I can't say I ever really have craved it.

So, I guess it's hard for me to identify with meat cravings and especially meat cravings that are satisfied by chicken breast. Is chicken not higher in tryptophan than red meat or is that just turkey? Do you have gelatin with your chicken to even out the amino acid profile?

Finally, as I've mentioned before and you have just explained well, there is something to be said for making some allowances for pleasure in eating. What good is a rigidly perfect diet if you can't stick to it? While meat may be a much safer "cheat" than starch, avoiding PUFA, gluten, soy, food additives, etc., is great progress.

What's important is that we are all vigilant about externalizing our own "cheat" justifications in such a way that deprives other people that come along of making their own choices and drawing their own conclusions based on an accurate representation of Dr. Peat's opinions and findings.

narouz

Dean said:
What's important is that we are all vigilant about externalizing our own "cheat" justifications in such a way that deprives other people that come along of making their own choices and drawing their own conclusions based on an accurate representation of Dr. Peat's opinions and findings.

My general take is this:
I want to know, as best I can,
what "not cheating" is.
Then, if I want to cheat--okay!
Who's gonna stop me?

What I don't think is a great idea
is to begin by saying there is no Peat diet
or that anybody can define a Peat diet any way they like.

Yes, that very nicely solves the problem of cheating:
Nothing is cheating!
We've banished cheating!
Kinda a pyrrhic victory though.

BaconBits

Do all of your brands also have the metabisulfite in them, I found only 2 organic versions that dont have them.( But I heard organic potatoes are mostly the varities that were bred to be high in solanin, a natural pesticide-not that that would be extremely bad)
Is metabisulfite acceptable?