Resistant Starch Part Of William Browns Health Improvements?

Jon

I'm having a hard time finding the actual study Burr conducted, but this excerpt from FPS has got me intrigued.

"Each day, he consumed three quarts of defatted milk, a quart of cottage cheese made from it, sucrose, potato starch, orange juice and some vitamin and mineral supplements. His blood lipids became more saturated and their concentrations of linoleic and arachidonic acids were cut in half. He experienced a marked absence of fatigue, his high blood pressure returned to normal, and the migraines he had suffered from since childhood completely disappeared."

Before I arrived in Peat land, I was doing all sorts of experiments with probiotics and resistant starch. I've felt with blood sugar and triglyceride issues since I was 18 and when searching I came across these studies summarized in this article:

Resistant starches for the management of metabolic diseases

I tried potato starch for myself and it had immediate effects. When testing my blood sugar 45 mins after a meal of 200g of carbs from baked potatoes and 4 tablespoons of potato starch my blood sugar DROPPED to 107mg/dl from 118mg/dl pre meal levels. I also felt cold after ingestion kind of like hypothyroid symptoms, and eventually I started having issues in the restroom as resistant starch FLIES through you lol. Eventually I discontinued resistant starch in favor of just upping my potato intake and making enough that I usually have some leftovers kept in the fridge to be retrograded and reheated the next day. My blood pressure has consistently been 70/60 since then compared to the 120/60 it was at the outset of my search for relief of my blood sugar issues. I find it fascinating that resistant starch is know to lower lipids and that this is one of the sought after effects of a very low fat diet. William Browns results remind me somewhat of this testimonial I read long ago about a man who used resistant starch to aid his blood pressure:

The Most Dramatic Resistant Starch Success Story Yet

I'm not necessarily making a case for resistant starch to be used but more so posing the question of "how much can we attribute to William Browns benefits of his diet being impart due to resistant starch?"

Food for thought, anyone care to comment?

tara

It's hard to know how much the potato starch influenced his results. At the very least, it didn't stop him getting big improvements.

For anyone who thinks that experiment is significant, it does seem to show that eating some starch can be consistent with improvements in health for at least some people.

tankasnowgod

I'm having a hard time finding the actual study Burr conducted, but this excerpt from FPS has got me intrigued.

"Each day, he consumed three quarts of defatted milk, a quart of cottage cheese made from it, sucrose, potato starch, orange juice and some vitamin and mineral supplements. His blood lipids became more saturated and their concentrations of linoleic and arachidonic acids were cut in half. He experienced a marked absence of fatigue, his high blood pressure returned to normal, and the migraines he had suffered from since childhood completely disappeared."

Before I arrived in Peat land, I was doing all sorts of experiments with probiotics and resistant starch. I've felt with blood sugar and triglyceride issues since I was 18 and when searching I came across these studies summarized in this article:

Resistant starches for the management of metabolic diseases

I tried potato starch for myself and it had immediate effects. When testing my blood sugar 45 mins after a meal of 200g of carbs from baked potatoes and 4 tablespoons of potato starch my blood sugar DROPPED to 107mg/dl from 118mg/dl pre meal levels. I also felt cold after ingestion kind of like hypothyroid symptoms, and eventually I started having issues in the restroom as resistant starch FLIES through you lol. Eventually I discontinued resistant starch in favor of just upping my potato intake and making enough that I usually have some leftovers kept in the fridge to be retrograded and reheated the next day. My blood pressure has consistently been 70/60 since then compared to the 120/60 it was at the outset of my search for relief of my blood sugar issues. I find it fascinating that resistant starch is know to lower lipids and that this is one of the sought after effects of a very low fat diet. William Browns results remind me somewhat of this testimonial I read long ago about a man who used resistant starch to aid his blood pressure:

The Most Dramatic Resistant Starch Success Story Yet

I'm not necessarily making a case for resistant starch to be used but more so posing the question of "how much can we attribute to William Browns benefits of his diet being impart due to resistant starch?"

Food for thought, anyone care to comment?

It wasn't that much. His diet was 2500 cals a day, with 4 quarts of skim milk, and the bulk of the remaining carbs from sucrose, and the potato starch was made into a "biscuit" that contained added vitamins, like vitamin a, d, and 10 mg of iron. I think it was estimated at 100 calories or so, and since it was a biscuit (made with mineral oil), that means it was cooked. When potato starch is cooked, most of the resistant starch is broken down to regular starch.

OP
Jon

Jon

It wasn't that much. His diet was 2500 cals a day, with 4 quarts of skim milk, and the bulk of the remaining carbs from sucrose, and the potato starch was made into a "biscuit" that contained added vitamins, like vitamin a, d, and 10 mg of iron. I think it was estimated at 100 calories or so, and since it was a biscuit (made with mineral oil), that means it was cooked. When potato starch is cooked, most of the resistant starch is broken down to regular starch.

Thanks for the clarification! Where the heck did you find the study?

It really doesn't take much resistant starch to make a difference, but yeah if they cooked it then the glucose chains were broken down.

tankasnowgod

Thanks for the clarification! Where the heck did you find the study?

It really doesn't take much resistant starch to make a difference, but yeah if they cooked it then the glucose chains were broken down.

Someone posted a full copy of the study on this board a while back, and it was a pretty interesting read. It used to be freely available, but now I can only find the summary.

Effects of Prolonged Use of Extremely Low-Fat Diet on an Adult Human Subject | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic

OP
Jon

Jon

OP
Jon

Jon

nwo2012

Your BP is not healthy, it is that of a severly hypothyroid person if its only 70/60.

OP
Jon

Jon

Your BP is not healthy, it is that of a severly hypothyroid person if its only 70/60.

Never heard of bp being connected to hypo. What is healthy supposed to be? I'm most certainly healthier than before. Body temp is alway 98s and heart rate is regularly 75ish

tara

I think it was estimated at 100 calories or so, and since it was a biscuit (made with mineral oil), that means it was cooked. When potato starch is cooked, most of the resistant starch is broken down to regular starch.
Where I am, a biscuit is generally a shortened dough baked quite dry. (Etymologically, I think it's twice -baked to make sure it's really dry.) I think in some places a biscuit is more of a moist-baked item. Depending on what kind of biscuit, what happened to the starch could differ - I think dry-baking would not gelatinise the starch.

OP
Jon

Jon

Where I am, a biscuit is generally a shortened dough baked quite dry. (Etymologically, I think it's twice -baked to make sure it's really dry.) I think in some places a biscuit is more of a moist-baked item. Depending on what kind of biscuit, what happened to the starch could differ - I think dry-baking would not gelatinise the starch.

The plot thickens...

nwo2012

Never heard of bp being connected to hypo. What is healthy supposed to be? I'm most certainly healthier than before. Body temp is alway 98s and heart rate is regularly 75ish

Depends on build but I coomonly see grossly hypothyroid and anaemic females in terrible health with similar hypotension. A systolic 110-120 would be considered ideal. I.e your BP before. There are so many factors such as NO, adrenaline, cortisol etc. that can lower or raise BP. But 70/60 is definitely not indicative of optimum health. Imo.

OP
Jon

Jon

Depends on build but I coomonly see grossly hypothyroid and anaemic females in terrible health with similar hypotension. A systolic 110-120 would be considered ideal. I.e your BP before. There are so many factors such as NO, adrenaline, cortisol etc. that can lower or raise BP. But 70/60 is definitely not indicative of optimum health. Imo.
I'll look into it more :) thanks for the awareness

tankasnowgod

Another thing about the William Brown diet, it was many things. It was extremely low fat, but the point of that was to virtually eliminate PUFA. In fact, the experiment was to see if "Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency" could be induced in a human subject, replicating problems discovered in rats. One of the lines from the study was something to the effect of "it is quite remarkable that a human subject could be kept alive on a diet containing no fat." Not just alive, but his health improved.

So in addition to very low fat, and very low PUFA, it was also high in sugar (lactose and sucrose), low in starch, low in iron, high in calcium and moderately high in protein.

OP
Jon

Jon

Another thing about the William Brown diet, it was many things. It was extremely low fat, but the point of that was to virtually eliminate PUFA. In fact, the experiment was to see if "Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency" could be induced in a human subject, replicating problems discovered in rats. One of the lines from the study was something to the effect of "it is quite remarkable that a human subject could be kept alive on a diet containing no fat." Not just alive, but his health improved.

So in addition to very low fat, and very low PUFA, it was also high in sugar (lactose and sucrose), low in starch, low in iron, high in calcium and moderately high in protein.

Something I'm confused on is the basal metabolic rate during study? Was this just a decrease because of losing weight? I.e. Smaller body=less energy expenditure?

SOMO

Potato Starch does not = Resistant Starch.

Potato Starch can have 0 or near-zero RS.
There are dozens if not hundreds of varieties of ptoato, each with varying degrees of RS.
You know those small potatoes with the red skin that taste sort of waxy? Those have almost NO RS. But big ugly Russet potatoes have very high RS content. I personally prefer the taste of those red waxy potatoes and they cook faster too.

Extracting starch from red potatoes or russet potatoes will yield night and day differences in RS content.

Also even if you combine RS with water, it hydrolyzes it and makes it non-RS starch again, i.e. liquid solution of water+starch = regular starch that is absorbed at the same rate as water is removed from the colon...thus, defeating the purpose of consuming RS in the first place lol. You might as well just eat some cooked potatoes, because RS has no nutrition in it.

OP
Jon

Jon

Potato Starch does not = Resistant Starch.

Potato Starch can have 0 or near-zero RS.
There are dozens if not hundreds of varieties of ptoato, each with varying degrees of RS.
You know those small potatoes with the red skin that taste sort of waxy? Those have almost NO RS. But big ugly Russet potatoes have very high RS content. I personally prefer the taste of those red waxy potatoes and they cook faster too.

Extracting starch from red potatoes or russet potatoes will yield night and day differences in RS content.

Also even if you combine RS with water, it hydrolyzes it and makes it non-RS starch again, i.e. liquid solution of water+starch = regular starch that is absorbed at the same rate as water is removed from the colon...thus, defeating the purpose of consuming RS in the first place lol. You might as well just eat some cooked potatoes, because RS has no nutrition in it.

I wasn't making a case to use resistant starch just posing a question. I can tell you ingesting raw potato starch DOES have an effect on blood sugar, but also has those nasty digestive side affects (as I know you know lol). I know only a certain percentage of raw potato starch is RS but it's enough to have an effect.

Ironically I'm watching a hilarious video of animals being scared of their own farts which is pretty much what happens to people when they ingest RS LOL

tankasnowgod

Something I'm confused on is the basal metabolic rate during study? Was this just a decrease because of losing weight? I.e. Smaller body=less energy expenditure?

I don't think BMR decreased during the study. It increased, which is why a diet that was supposed to contain enough calories to maintain weight lead to a 14 pound weight loss (Brown went from 152 to 138 while eating 2500 calories a day). It seems to be reported weird in the abstract.

tara

I don't think BMR decreased during the study. It increased, which is why a diet that was supposed to contain enough calories to maintain weight lead to a 14 pound weight loss (Brown went from 152 to 138 while eating 2500 calories a day). It seems to be reported weird in the abstract.
As a young male physical farm worker, 2500 seems pretty low - unlikely to be enough for maintenance unless his metabolism was quite low to begin with. I imagine his calories before that were not being closely measured, and he might have been eating more.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals