Jackson's Honest Potato Chips

I bet we can make air-fried chips. We have the technology.

lindsay

My husband makes homemade fries using refined coconut oil. He reuses the stuff until he doesn't like how it looks. You'd be surprised how long you can make fries with a jar of oil - it hardly looks or smells rancid for numerous cookings and the oil always solidifies again. It's not like you cook it at it's maximum heat, which is over 400 F.

I should note, he makes them in a pot, not in a deep fat fryer.

You would have the protein from the potato going into the oil and being heated and glycated so many times. Besides, one percent of PUFA is all you need to make bad things. And your body can destroy saturated fat at thirty-seven degrees, what's a couple hundred going to do?

lindsay

Such_Saturation said:
You would have the protein from the potato going into the oil and being heated and glycated so many times. Besides, one percent of PUFA is all you need to make bad things. And your body can destroy saturated fat at thirty-seven degrees, what's a couple hundred going to do?

Haven't you ever heard RP talk about how when things used to be made using Coconut oil or cooked with coconut oil, people were lean eating those products? If cooking with coconut oil is fine, then frying in it should be too. How can I feel good about putting coconut oil in a soup and cooking the soup for hours if it can't be used for frying fries for 20 minutes?

lindsay said:
Such_Saturation said:

Haven't you ever heard RP talk about how when things used to be made using Coconut oil or cooked with coconut oil, people were lean eating those products? If cooking with coconut oil is fine, then frying in it should be too. How can I feel good about putting coconut oil in a soup and cooking the soup for hours if it can't be used for frying fries for 20 minutes?

I think it's a matter of how bad, not if bad. It is up to you. Of course we are talking about hours and hours here, not minutes. A soup does not reach those temperatures unless you make it without any water. Personally anything which makes a frying noise bloats me when I eat it. It does not appeal to me as a food either.

lindsay

Such_Saturation said:
I think it's a matter of how bad, not if bad. It is up to you. Of course we are talking about hours and hours here, not minutes. A soup does not reach those temperatures unless you make it without any water. Personally anything which makes a frying noise bloats me when I eat it. It does not appeal to me as a food either.

I don't have a gallbladder, so everything makes me bloated feeling from time to time - meat, fruit, milk. You get my point. If I never ate any of the foods that offend me, I would wither away and die (and in fact, in the past before my gallbladder was removed, I dropped down to 95 lbs. on account of giving up offending foods). I hate fried food - when I used to eat it after gallbladder removal, I would usually end up vomiting. I can eat the homemade fries my husband makes without a problem (and they are delicious), just like I can eat pan fried bacon without much trouble. My reaction to eating them is probably less bad than when I eat beef, although I don't eat a lot of fries at any one time because I just don't love them the way I love cheese - usually when he's snacking on fries, I'm snacking on cheese :D

lindsay said:
Such_Saturation said:

I don't have a gallbladder, so everything makes me bloated feeling from time to time - meat, fruit, milk. You get my point. If I never ate any of the foods that offend me, I would wither away and die (and in fact, in the past before my gallbladder was removed, I dropped down to 95 lbs. on account of giving up offending foods). I hate fried food - when I used to eat it after gallbladder removal, I would usually end up vomiting. I can eat the homemade fries my husband makes without a problem (and they are delicious), just like I can eat pan fried bacon without much trouble. My reaction to eating them is probably less bad than when I eat beef, although I don't eat a lot of fries at any one time because I just don't love them the way I love cheese - usually when he's snacking on fries, I'm snacking on cheese :D

You can try frying with the Bulletproof Brain Octane oil, it's very very short chain.

lindsay

Such_Saturation said:
You can try frying with the Bulletproof Brain Octane oil, it's very very short chain.

Lol. At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but then I googled it and realized this Bulletproof Brain Octane oil is a real thing. Ha! Must be sold by the Bulletproof coffee guy. At that price, no thanks!

lindsay said:
Such_Saturation said:

Lol. At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but then I googled it and realized this Bulletproof Brain Octane oil is a real thing. Ha! Must be sold by the Bulletproof coffee guy. At that price, no thanks!

Yes the price is very Californian, so to speak, but he does offer the attention to detail in his products which sometimes is necessary in fragile foods. Some coconut oil sellers on ebay easily reach that price as well, for some reason.

lindsay

Such_Saturation said:
Yes the price is very Californian, so to speak, but he does offer the attention to detail in his products which sometimes is necessary in fragile foods. Some coconut oil sellers on ebay easily reach that price as well, for some reason.

We buy our coconut oil from tropical traditions. I usually get one gallon for $45 (plus shipping). It lasts us about 6 months to a year and has never gone rancid. Plus, I like the expeller pressed refined because it is odorless. But the best CO I've had to date is Nutiva. It's just really pricey, but nothing in comparison to the brain oil. But I would bet potatoes fried in Nutiva would be heavenly.

johnwester130

"But one needs to consider that this is a tropical oil from a tropical plant grown in a very hot climate. The oil inside an airtight coconut still growing high up on a coconut tree will already see temperatures well above 100 degrees F."

Peata

Reading this, I got a huge craving for french fries. I made some. They are so easy and fast to do. I could almost live off them. Crispy, perfectly browned, salt, ketchup. Ah. Pairs with sugar Pepsi or Coke, of course.

johnwester130

I think even coconut oil would not survive the temperature of a real frying process. I'm sure they are tasty as hell, though.

I don't think they are fried or even re-use the oil.

From my understanding, each chip or piece of tortilla corn is sprayed with oil, then baked at high temperatures once.
This means the oil is heated once, in theory.

It wouldn't work if they had a giant pot of oil and dipped stuff in it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals