Share your sorghum experience

Mossy

I've stumbled upon a variety of modified sorghum, a "black grain sorghum hybrid", named ONYX sorghum. There is a cold cereal made with it, Grain Berry. I'd be curious if any one has any experience or knowledge with this variety of sorghum.

Dave Clark

I've stumbled upon a variety of modified sorghum, a "black grain sorghum hybrid", named ONYX sorghum. There is a cold cereal made with it, Grain Berry. I'd be curious if any one has any experience or knowledge with this variety of sorghum.

Thanks for posting. I will look for bulk sources. Probably like black rice, it has a good amount of cyanidins, without the arsenic, and possibly low in PUFA. Sorghum is about 80% insoluble fiber, which is what most of the forum members are looking for, so is coconut fiber.

Aymen

Thanks for posting. I will look for bulk sources. Probably like black rice, it has a good amount of cyanidins, without the arsenic, and possibly low in PUFA. Sorghum is about 80% insoluble fiber, which is what most of the forum members are looking for, so is coconut fiber.
I would avoid black rice, it's a whole grain type of rice, same as broxn or red rice.

Rice bran inhibits 5 alpha reductase.

Dave Clark

I would avoid black rice, it's a whole grain type of rice, same as broxn or red rice.

Rice bran inhibits 5 alpha reductase.
Yeah, I was comparing and referring to the cyanidin content, not saying black rice was as good as sorghum.

Mossy

You're welcome, @Dave Clark, my RPF blood brother—haha. Before you think I've lost it, have you ever noticed that our join dates are the same?

As for the sorghum, I will probably be buying that cereal tomorrow; so I'll report back. I should add, the only cereal available to me locally is the oat-bran version, which is the blandest of all their options—"70% less sugar". Some reviews on amazon say it tastes pretty bland. It looks pretty bland as well; but from a Peat perspective, I'll have no reservations about adding all necessary sugars and taste improving additions.

Interesting about the cyanide content; but if I'm understanding correctly, without the arsenic it's a non-issue.

And it will be interesting to see how I do with the increase of fiber. If I have one consistent issue it's my gut and digestion; and bran tends to have negative effects on me.

Dave Clark

You're welcome, @Dave Clark, my RPF blood brother—haha. Before you think I've lost it, have you ever noticed that our join dates are the same?

As for the sorghum, I will probably be buying that cereal tomorrow; so I'll report back. I should add, the only cereal available to me locally is the oat-bran version, which is the blandest of all their options—"70% less sugar". Some reviews on amazon say it tastes pretty bland. It looks pretty bland as well; but from a Peat perspective, I'll have no reservations about adding all necessary sugars and taste improving additions.

Interesting about the cyanide content; but if I'm understanding correctly, without the arsenic it's a non-issue.

And it will be interesting to see how I do with the increase of fiber. If I have one consistent issue it's my gut and digestion; and bran tends to have negative effects on me.
I didn't notice the join dates, but I always liked your posts and how you communicate with other members, and it is nice to interact with you.
One thing about sorghum that is a bit disappointing is that sorghum does not have much of a flavor at all, it is a rather bland grain. Of course, that can work out good if you want to incorporate it into a recipe without knowing it is there, but it doesn't stand out on its own.
I was referring to the 'cyanidin -3-glucoside' type cyanidins, which are potent antioxidants. There is a thread somewhere on the forum on C-3-G. But, any of the dark berries, grains, etc. will be high in these type of antioxidants, and producing a dark sorghum will up the antioxidant potential.
I don't think there is an issue with arsenic, etc. like there is with rice, so this would be a safer substitute for black rice. The only thing I have read is, not to use sprouted sorghum, since the sprouting somehow produces a cyanide compound that should not be consumed {maybe this is what you were referring to}.

Mossy

I didn't notice the join dates, but I always liked your posts and how you communicate with other members, and it is nice to interact with you.
One thing about sorghum that is a bit disappointing is that sorghum does not have much of a flavor at all, it is a rather bland grain. Of course, that can work out good if you want to incorporate it into a recipe without knowing it is there, but it doesn't stand out on its own.
I was referring to the 'cyanidin -3-glucoside' type cyanidins, which are potent antioxidants. There is a thread somewhere on the forum on C-3-G. But, any of the dark berries, grains, etc. will be high in these type of antioxidants, and producing a dark sorghum will up the antioxidant potential.
I don't think there is an issue with arsenic, etc. like there is with rice, so this would be a safer substitute for black rice. The only thing I have read is, not to use sprouted sorghum, since the sprouting somehow produces a cyanide compound that should not be consumed {maybe this is what you were referring to}.
Thank you, and likewise.

Yes, I think your first point is really its strength; it's easy to incorporate into a dish and flavor as preferred. Though I don't mind it by itself either. The only time I eat it straight is as popped sorghum.

Ok, so that was their intent with this modification, to increase the antioxidants. I think there are opposing schools of thoughts as well: anti and pro antioxidants.

Yes, I was confusing cyanidins with the cyanide issue from the sprouted variation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals