Share your coconut allergy experience

Herbie

Recently realised I was having an allergic reaction to coconut first thing I did was search the forum and found many accounts of this occurring. I do remember Ray saying the meat can be allergenic.

I developed rosacea/eczema on my cheeks, my cheeks would get hot and flushed all the time.

I’ve been eating these coconut bars daily for 6 months, they are made of desiccated coconut, sugar, egg. Some how. I realised it was causing the problem and stopped eating them and by the next day the symptoms already were disappearing, it’s been 3 days now and almost totally healed.

I used to use the deodorised coconut oil years ago but never sat well with me.

Please share your experience so more people can know to be careful.

shanny

Forum Supporter
Recently realised I was having an allergic reaction to coconut first thing I did was search the forum and found many accounts of this occurring. I do remember Ray saying the meat can be allergenic.

I developed rosacea/eczema on my cheeks, my cheeks would get hot and flushed all the time.

I’ve been eating these coconut bars daily for 6 months, they are made of desiccated coconut, sugar, egg. Some how. I realised it was causing the problem and stopped eating them and by the next day the symptoms already were disappearing, it’s been 3 days now and almost totally healed.

I used to use the deodorised coconut oil years ago but never sat well with me.

Please share your experience so more people can know to be careful.
This is an old post, but I just wanted to reach out and see if you have had continued luck with removing coconut? I have had very similar reactions to both coconut oil specifically, but also other high saturated fat foods. I am starting to wonder if there is some sort of "die off" reaction that's occurring with this. Coconut is very anti-microbial/anti-viral, as is the effect of other saturated fats binding endotoxin. Interested in your thoughts and experience with this!

OP
Herbie

Herbie

This is an old post, but I just wanted to reach out and see if you have had continued luck with removing coconut? I have had very similar reactions to both coconut oil specifically, but also other high saturated fat foods. I am starting to wonder if there is some sort of "die off" reaction that's occurring with this. Coconut is very anti-microbial/anti-viral, as is the effect of other saturated fats binding endotoxin. Interested in your thoughts and experience with this!
I removed the coconut and started taking doxycycline to see if it helped it and improved, so the bacteria would be killed by the doxy.

The rosacea was pretty much gone and I was no longer concerned about it.

Last week I got this rice with coconut milk and flakes in it and made my cheeks red and rosacea look worse.,it's definitely a coconut thing. I don't get reactions to drinking whole milk or chocolate.

So I will continue to avoid coconut.

shanny

Forum Supporter
I removed the coconut and started taking doxycycline to see if it helped it and improved, so the bacteria would be killed by the doxy.

The rosacea was pretty much gone and I was no longer concerned about it.

Last week I got this rice with coconut milk and flakes in it and made my cheeks red and rosacea look worse.,it's definitely a coconut thing. I don't get reactions to drinking whole milk or chocolate.

So I will continue to avoid coconut.
Thanks for responding! So the doxy cleared things up for you? Do you think the rosacea was a bacterial issue or a reaction to the coconut?

OP
Herbie

Herbie

Thanks for responding! So the doxy cleared things up for you? Do you think the rosacea was a bacterial issue or a reaction to the coconut?
I don't think the doxy did anything for the rosacea, I think refraining from the coconut stopped the rosacea and was caused by coconut alergin

peter88

Me too. Coconut water, oil, milk all give me gut issues and headaches it seems. I haven’t used coconut oil in a long time but I figured I’d try coconut water. Almost immediately I have scalp itch and terrible headaches.

dukesbobby777

I also get reactions from most things coconut.

Mine is usually jock itch. So a kind of fungal reaction.

There was information on the forum (can't remember the threads) about coconut possibly being used as food for fungus in some situations, which I found interesting.

Sphagnum

I know this isn’t a newer thread, but I came across it none the less.
As someone in a household with a few people that get mild reactions to coconut (itchy mouth/throat) I can say that using refined coconut oil works for us.
Unfortunately that’s a small segment of of coconut products (it would be nice if they figured out a way to filter the protein for coconut water,) but hopefully it’s enough to keep someone from giving up on coconut altogether. It’s still the safest oil to use when need be.

peter88

Started eating coconut oil yesterday and cooked all of my food in it. Today I have terrible flu like symptoms and the smell/taste of coconut oil makes me want to vomit.

It was organic refined coconut oil.

Sphagnum

Started eating coconut oil yesterday and cooked all of my food in it. Today I have terrible flu like symptoms and the smell/taste of coconut oil makes me want to vomit.

It was organic refined coconut oil.
What brand was it?? I’ve never had a refined coconut oil that had any discernible taste or smell to it, they’ve all been completely neutral. I don’t think a properly refined one should have any taste/smell really, as that would suggest that the refining process wasn’t effective.

peter88

What brand was it?? I’ve never had a refined coconut oil that had any discernible taste or smell to it, they’ve all been completely neutral. I don’t think a properly refined one should have any taste/smell really, as that would suggest that the refining process wasn’t effective.
Organic nutiva. It didn’t taste like coconut but refined coconut oil has its own distinct taste that makes me sick.

Sphagnum

Organic nutiva. It didn’t taste like coconut but refined coconut oil has its own distinct taste that makes me sick.
That sucks. Looking at their website it says that they use steam to refine the oil. Maybe try a brand that refines their oil one of the other methods, such as centrifuge or hexane. Obviously the chemical processes aren’t ideal, but they’re there as an option.

Their site also mentions that they use the older dried coconuts. I don’t know how much of a difference that factors into to be, but it’s another thing to consider if you didn’t want to give up completely.