Ray Peat recommends Massage for Hair Growth

tallglass13

In this recent interview, Ray is actually recommending Scalp massage for 15 minutes everyday for hair growth. This is new to most of us, and we probably thought Ray would say ONLY recommend a bioenergetic diet and thyroid supplements to grow hair. Looks like we were wrong. Ray continues to enlighten us with new information. Lately oatmeal and oat bran, now scalp massage.

In this recent interview, Ray is actually recommending Scalp massage for 15 minutes everyday for hair growth. This is new to most of us, and we probably thought Ray would say ONLY recommend a bioenergetic diet and thyroid supplements to grow hair. Looks like we were wrong. Ray continues to enlighten us with new information. Lately oatmeal and oat bran, now scalp massage.
My husband was losing a lot of hair in the shower for about a year until he realized he was never stimulating his scalp, by combing or brushing his hair like he had in the past. Once he started brushing his hair again he stopped losing hair. He realized that the lack of stimulation or maybe the build up from hair gel and conditioners was the cause of his problem.

Lampshard

It's the same logic as microneedling or the NO-increasing substances (which are bad), even niacin (not niacinamide)'s allergy-like reaction can produce hair regrowth, red light would be something purely beneficial to similar effect too

tastyfood

Keep in mind the interviewer pressed him a lot on this topic, and Ray typically goes with the flow and provides some general recommendation to be nice.

The way I understood the recommendation was that he thought rubbing your fingers gently through the colder areas of the scalp to increase warmth could be useful.

GreekDemiGod

The way I understood the recommendation was that he thought rubbing your fingers gently through the colder areas of the scalp to increase warmth could be useful.
Does scalp massaging help in decalcifying the scalp? I am pretty sure I have some degree of calcification,

tastyfood

Does scalp massaging help in decalcifying the scalp? I am pretty sure I have some degree of calcification,

For a while, I've tried to be as gentle as possible with my scalp. I wouldn't go any further than what Ray said in this interview.

I don't have much faith in topical treatments, and feel like everything I've tried in the past could have made things worse.

Last edited:
OP
tallglass13

tallglass13

It's the same logic as microneedling or the NO-increasing substances (which are bad), even niacin (not niacinamide)'s allergy-like reaction can produce hair regrowth, red light would be something purely beneficial to similar effect too
When asks about microneedling, he did not respond, except to say that using "fingers" to move the scalp without scrapping the scalp. So I do not think it's the same logic for wounding the scalp vs. Scalp massage. Massage improves blood flow as he describes is one of the problems with hair growth. Whereas wounding would cause the NO reaction that he would not favor. Although his famous story of a man burning his scalp and then regrew a full head of hair, but then he said we wouldn't want to rely on that for hair growth.

OP
tallglass13

tallglass13

Keep in mind the interviewer pressed him a lot on this topic, and Ray typically goes with the flow and provides some general recommendation to be nice.

I emailed him privately about a month ago, and scalp massage was his answer to me. I think Ray has been saying that circulation is a big factor with the health of the hair follicle, and that men and women with hair problems need to improve scalp circulation. The question was asked by a emailer, and the core of the question was what to do when you have all the other things in place, thyroid, temps, etc.
Danny Roddy will ask questions as well, but Ray stays with the exact question, so I think we need to press him when trying to get answers out of him the way we want. Just like Ray never talked about Oatmeal before , and now he does. Same with Hair, he has more information in his arsenal the more we interview him.

When asks about microneedling, he did not respond, except to say that using "fingers" to move the scalp without scrapping the scalp. So I do not think it's the same logic for wounding the scalp vs. Scalp massage. Massage improves blood flow as he describes is one of the problems with hair growth. Whereas wounding would cause the NO reaction that he would not favor. Although his famous story of a man burning his scalp and then regrew a full head of hair, but then he said we wouldn't want to rely on that for hair growth.
I thought that story was crazy!

OP
tallglass13

tallglass13

I emailed him privately about a month ago, and scalp massage was his answer to me. I think Ray has been saying that circulation is a big factor with the health of the hair follicle, and that men and women with hair problems need to improve scalp circulation. The question was asked by a emailer, and the core of the question was what to do when you have all the other things in place, thyroid, temps, etc.

I thought that story was crazy!
Ha, Right!, Danny has some pictures of the man's head before and after in one of his many articles. However, wounding the scalp has been shown to have some very positive success rates, as well and a massage technique as Ray describes.

Mauritio

I recently talked to him about scalp exercises .

He also said before that your best bet to regrow hair is proably scalp massages .

milk_lover

Do these work as well? Or it's scratching the scalp hence no good?

scalp messager.jpeg

OP
tallglass13

tallglass13

Do these work as well? Or it's scratching the scalp hence no good?

View attachment 35383
Those feel incredible, but listening closely to Ray, he is recommending more of moving the scalp around , pretty much just like DT , but I am sure not are rough. Just enough to get circulation going, for 15 minutes daily, which is quite a while if you think about it.

David PS

I use a vibrating muscle massager on my scalp (muscles). The massager does all of the work, I just steer the massager around my head for about 5 minutes. I also take extra vitamin k and I get sunlight on my head.

If you read the comments at Amazon, you will find that others have commented that their barbers have used this device.

Oster Professional 103 Stim-U-Lax Massager

Hasn't the blood flow theory on its own been proven BS though? Most of the studies that showed results with any kind of scalp massage or microneedling were using fin or minoxidil in conjunction with it

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals