Did Ray Peat just recommended topical honey for hair ?

Darkmortal

Lost Conversations with Ray Peat #1: The Purpose of Hair, Luciferianism, and Obama as a CIA Creation​

Danny Roddy: Okay, that makes sense. I read a few times, Kealey. I might be saying his name wrong. Adachi and a few of the other hair loss guys talk about how the hair follicle is extremely glucose-dependent and that it needs a source of glucose. Then a few other people say it's relatively independent of the circulation of glucose in the blood. They were thinking that the glycogen was part of that independence, but if the circulation is reduced from the low thyroid function and the oxygen supply is reduced, the hair follicle obviously suffers. That's where the oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation come in, really harming ... Go ahead.

Ray Peat: Yeah. All of the stresses tend to interfere with glucose oxidation. When you're stressed, you liberate free fatty acids as an energy source, but those poison the ability to oxidize oxygen, so it creates a local diabetes. Have you heard anything about whether diabetics have more baldness or less baldness?

Danny Roddy: I read that the insulin resistance, so-called, is related to baldness. Then somebody on one of my YouTube videos said that he had worked extensively with type 1 diabetics who were all using insulin, and he was like, "I've never noticed any of them being bald before." I don't know if that was accurate or not.

Ray Peat: I've been thinking that with a concentrated glucose solution, you could probably activate hair growth just by keeping your scalp moistened with glucose.

Danny Roddy: That's funny because people have emailed me that, asking if that was a viable therapy. I was like, "I have no idea. I don't know how that would work." It made me think of when you would say things like people use honey for scars and things like that. Go ahead.

Ray Peat: People are actually suggesting applying insulin topically to the skin, but that's a relatively much bigger molecule than glucose. I think there's a chance that either of those can get in, in a quantity that could help.

Danny Roddy: The insulin is helping by what? Stupid question but just supplying the hair follicle with glucose?

Ray Peat: With energy, yeah.

Thoughts on this ?

golder

Constant supply though, so you’d need to be spraying it on all day?

Summer

I thought honey was mostly fructose. Wouldn’t sugar water be more effective?

OP
D

Darkmortal

I thought honey was mostly fructose. Wouldn’t sugar water be more effective?
yeah honey is approx 40% fructose 30% glucose but the overall nutritional value of honey is nearly unmatched so thought it would be the perfect glucose source as compared to sugar with just water.

OP
D

Darkmortal

Constant supply though, so you’d need to be spraying it on all day?
I think application would be the same as applying any other topical for hair which is once or twice daily or even thrice weekly, i think caffeine mixed with glucose would also be more effective if we considered this topical glucose theory.

Summer

yeah honey is approx 40% fructose 30% glucose but the overall nutritional value of honey is nearly unmatched so thought it would be the perfect glucose source as compared to sugar with just water.
That’s true. Plus its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties would help clean the scalp. Couldn’t hurt to leave it on the scalp overnight.

OP
D

Darkmortal

That’s true. Plus its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties would help clean the scalp. Couldn’t hurt to leave it on the scalp overnight.
sounds great, Danny also once said that one shouldn't put something on his scalp which he wouldn't eat and i think honey by far passes the test.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’d worry it could bleach hair. @Rinse & rePeat has warned us to avoid getting honey on our eyebrows when doing a honey facial for that reason.

Mauritio

Lost Conversations with Ray Peat #1: The Purpose of Hair, Luciferianism, and Obama as a CIA Creation​

Danny Roddy: Okay, that makes sense. I read a few times, Kealey. I might be saying his name wrong. Adachi and a few of the other hair loss guys talk about how the hair follicle is extremely glucose-dependent and that it needs a source of glucose. Then a few other people say it's relatively independent of the circulation of glucose in the blood. They were thinking that the glycogen was part of that independence, but if the circulation is reduced from the low thyroid function and the oxygen supply is reduced, the hair follicle obviously suffers. That's where the oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation come in, really harming ... Go ahead.

Ray Peat: Yeah. All of the stresses tend to interfere with glucose oxidation. When you're stressed, you liberate free fatty acids as an energy source, but those poison the ability to oxidize oxygen, so it creates a local diabetes. Have you heard anything about whether diabetics have more baldness or less baldness?

Danny Roddy: I read that the insulin resistance, so-called, is related to baldness. Then somebody on one of my YouTube videos said that he had worked extensively with type 1 diabetics who were all using insulin, and he was like, "I've never noticed any of them being bald before." I don't know if that was accurate or not.

Ray Peat: I've been thinking that with a concentrated glucose solution, you could probably activate hair growth just by keeping your scalp moistened with glucose.

Danny Roddy: That's funny because people have emailed me that, asking if that was a viable therapy. I was like, "I have no idea. I don't know how that would work." It made me think of when you would say things like people use honey for scars and things like that. Go ahead.

Ray Peat: People are actually suggesting applying insulin topically to the skin, but that's a relatively much bigger molecule than glucose. I think there's a chance that either of those can get in, in a quantity that could help.

Danny Roddy: The insulin is helping by what? Stupid question but just supplying the hair follicle with glucose?

Thoughts on this ?
Interesting . Add a bit of T3 and caffeine to the mix and and you're good to go.

I already apply t3 dissolved in gin, so I might add plain table sugar and see if I notice an improvement.

With the t3 I notice an almost immediate improvement in hair quality and texture . Similar to the difference of a bad vs. a good hair day.

Last edited:

Mauritio

T3 for hair loss/regrowth:

"We conclude that thyroid hormone signaling is an important determinant of the mobilization of stem cells out of their niche in the hair bulge."
- Thyroid hormone signaling controls hair follicle stem cell function

"Studying microdissected, organ-cultured normal human scalp HFs, we show here that T4 up-regulates the proliferation of hair matrix keratinocytes, whereas their apoptosis is down-regulated by T3 and T4. T4 also prolongs the duration of the hair growth phase (anagen) in vitro, possibly due to the down-regulation of TGF-beta2, the key anagen-inhibitory growth factor. Because we show here that human HFs transcribe deiodinase genes (D2 and D3), they may be capable of converting T4 to T3. Intrafollicular immunoreactivity for the recognized thyroid hormone-responsive keratins cytokeratin (CK) 6 and CK14 is significantly modulated by T3 and T4 (CK6 is enhanced, CK14 down-regulated). Both T3 and T4 also significantly stimulate intrafollicular melanin synthesis."
- Thyroid hormones directly alter human hair follicle functions: anagen prolongation and stimulation of both hair matrix keratinocyte proliferation and hair pigmentation - PubMed

"These data suggest that follicles in the telogen phase can be induced to enter the anagen phase by the topical application of T3. This thyroid hormone may reverse graying of the terminal hair. In the in vitro experiments, T3 stimulated hair shaft growth. Follicular melanocytes may be the target cell for these actions."
- [Repigmentation of gray hair after thyroid hormone treatment] - PubMed

"To understand better the mechanisms by which thyroid hormone can exert its effects on the hair follicle, we looked for the expression of members of the thyroid hormone receptor (TR) family in human hair follicles. Immunoreactive TRs were detected in both dermal and epithelial compartments of the human pilosebaceous unit. Using reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction, we established that TRbeta1 was the predominant form of TR expressed in the human hair follicle. In addition, we investigated the effects of 3,3', 5-triiodo-L-thyronine (T3) on the survival of human hair follicles in vitro, to understand the role of this thyroid hormone on hair follicle homeostasis. A physiological level of free T3 significantly enhanced human hair survival in vitro."
- Thyroid hormone receptor beta1 is expressed in the human hair follicle - PubMed

Ismail

It is true Blossom that regular raw honey has peroxide in it, and has a lightening effect on skin and hair, but Manuka honey does not.
Hey stranger :)
Hope you’re keeping well x

Is the peroxide naturally present in the honey? Or is it there as a result of the extraction process etc.?

Hey stranger :)
Hope you’re keeping well x

Is the peroxide naturally present in the honey? Or is it there as a result of the extraction process etc.?
Hi friend!

“Peroxide is naturally present in raw honey.
Hydrogen peroxide is an antibacterial substance that is sold in pharmacies. It is made naturally in honey by an enzyme called glucose oxidase, which is added to the plant nectar by bees.

Glucose oxidase is not active in full strength honey because of the honey’s high acidity. However, when the honey is diluted (for example by the release of body fluids from a wound) the honey becomes less acid, the enzyme becomes active, and hydrogen peroxide is produced.

Honey contains plant-derived factors
Some honeys have antibacterial action that appears to be caused by phytochemicals that are found naturally in the nectar that the bees collect. For example, honey made from the flowers of New Zealand’s mānuka trees seems to be particularly powerful at killing bacteria.

Methylglyoxal is thought to be the major contributor to mānuka honey’s non-peroxide antibacterial activity. The antibacterial activity of mānuka honey is graded and given a 'UMF" number — the Unique Mānuka Factor. You can look at some of the early research that contributed to this identification of the UMF compund in Hunting for honey's healing power.”

Ismail

Hi friend!

“Peroxide is naturally present in raw honey.
Hydrogen peroxide is an antibacterial substance that is sold in pharmacies. It is made naturally in honey by an enzyme called glucose oxidase, which is added to the plant nectar by bees.

Glucose oxidase is not active in full strength honey because of the honey’s high acidity. However, when the honey is diluted (for example by the release of body fluids from a wound) the honey becomes less acid, the enzyme becomes active, and hydrogen peroxide is produced.

Honey contains plant-derived factors
Some honeys have antibacterial action that appears to be caused by phytochemicals that are found naturally in the nectar that the bees collect. For example, honey made from the flowers of New Zealand’s mānuka trees seems to be particularly powerful at killing bacteria.

Methylglyoxal is thought to be the major contributor to mānuka honey’s non-peroxide antibacterial activity. The antibacterial activity of mānuka honey is graded and given a 'UMF" number — the Unique Mānuka Factor. You can look at some of the early research that contributed to this identification of the UMF compund in Hunting for honey's healing power.”

Concise and helpful as always! Thank you 🙏

ivy

Thoughts on this ?
Honey is a tried-and-tested hydrating agent for hair. I can also add that it seems to keep yellowing of white hair at bay. Not sure its sugars will actually be absorbed by the scalp.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals