Only 22 - Hair Loss Panic

Dhair

Just a brief rundown.

Exactly one year ago I had a full head of hair. I mean PERFECT.
Around May of 2014 I came under a lot of stress due to relationship issues. I would drink up to 5 High Gravity Hurricane call cans (8.1% alcohol content per can) every night, getting absolutely smashed.
And (completely serious), I only stopped very recently.
I noticed hair thinning around November. It became progressively worse, and within the past five months it has gotten more aggressive. I went to get a buzzcut recently and now my hair looks like a newborn baby's hair.
I also have eczema, 0 muscle mass, and I'm an emotional wreck.
I discovered Danny Roddy and the works of Ray Peat a few months ago. It may be my only hope.
For a few weeks I've been doing my best to stick to some bare-bones basics (vitamin k, no polyunsaturated fats, oj, few grains, etc), but I guess I need someone to tell me it will be okay. The idea of being horshoe bald at 23 would make me borderline suicidal.

Should I start with getting labs? Has anyone here had success when it comes to thickening their hair? Is there ANY hope?
Thank you.

OP
D

Dhair

I also forgot to mention that for quite a while I have been in an SNRI called Pristiq which I just recently stopped using.

uuy8778yyi

yes, blood tests and labs would be helpful

and doing the basics, like you already have done

a,d ,e, k2
taurine,lysine, glycine
b6
niacinamide

topical aspirin, caffeine, red light

answersfound

Benadryl every night to nuke stress hormones and improve digestion. Small amounts of NDT like Nutri-Pak or Nutri-Meds.

30-50 mg pregnenolone can be helpful too.

Vitamins A, D, E, K. Estroban by Haidut is a great product.

Shellfish for Zinc, Copper, Selenium.

Milk, eggs, low-fat cheese, ruminant meats with hydrolyzed collagen can be the primary protein sources.

Pork rinds too if you want. Potato chips fried in coconut oil is another good snack.

Haagan dazs at night.

Fruits for sugar. Orange juice too. I also like red bull on occasion.

And most importantly, you need to remove the stressors in your life and DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. I can't say this enough. If you are fighting yourself, you are not helping your health situation.

And stop worrying about your hair. I know it sucks to hear that but it's important. Because if your well-being is good, then you won't care! Seriously, a strong metabolism will remove the obsessive thoughts. There are plenty of people with hairloss that are happy the way they are. Muscle-mass is also pure vanity so stop concerning yourself with that. My hair is certainly thicker, but I never got into this for my hair. It's about feeling good. That is way more important to me.

OP
D

Dhair

uuy8778yyi said:
yes, blood tests and labs would be helpful

and doing the basics, like you already have done

a,d ,e, k2
taurine,lysine, glycine
b6
niacinamide

topical aspirin, caffeine, red light

I heard that the aspirin is supposed to be dissolved in water. How do I dose it properly?

Have these things worked for you?

uuy8778yyi

alcohol is said to be better

using caffeine shampoo i have an increased hair count

I started losing my hair at 19. I really wish there was the knowledge available then that is now, no Internet, I bought one book that told me to take a couple of B vitamins and pull my hair in a certain way to improve circulation FFS. It never worked but it was harder to take it seriously after that!

Take the opportunity you've got time wise, I'm sure you've already bought "Hair Like A Fox" which offers very good advice and start looking after yourself.

In the meantime, while you're making any changes cut your hair short or even shave it, it suits some people, best thing I ever did in regards of my hair, shame I was 42 before I took the plunge. And most important don't obsess over your hair, I know how important it is to your self image when you are young but when I look back at all the worry it caused me back then I just think what a waste. Honestly, if you don't make a big deal out of it nobody else will and vice versa.

uuy8778yyi

Dr.Winston O'Boogie said:
I started losing my hair at 19. I really wish there was the knowledge available then that is now, no Internet, I bought one book that told me to take a couple of B vitamins and pull my hair in a certain way to improve circulation FFS. It never worked but it was harder to take it seriously after that!

Take the opportunity you've got time wise, I'm sure you've already bought "Hair Like A Fox" which offers very good advice and start looking after yourself.

In the meantime, while you're making any changes cut your hair short or even shave it, it suits some people, best thing I ever did in regards of my hair, shame I was 42 before I took the plunge. And most important don't obsess over your hair, I know how important it is to your self image when you are young but when I look back at all the worry it caused me back then I just think what a waste. Honestly, if you don't make a big deal out of it nobody else will and vice versa.

I'm sorry, what the hell are you talking about ?

The man is asking for advice, and there are realistic scientific ideas you can use to regrow hair again.

uuy8778yyi said:

The man is asking for advice, and there are realistic scientific ideas you can use to regrow hair again.
I figured that it would be better for him to read "Hair Like A Fox", which is largely based on Ray Peat's research and how it might relate to hair loss, and get his medical advice there rather than for me to drip feed him the same information bit by bit while pretending it was all my idea. As for the rest of it...that's my experience of losing my hair at an early age, up to him if he finds it useful.

OP
D

Dhair

I have read Hair Like a Fox and I understand it completely.

It's not that I don't appreciate the responses, but I would like to hear from someone who thickened their hair.
I'm sorry if I'm sounding dismissive but it really is taking a huge toll on my mental health. "Just don't think about it" is really discouraging.
It's only been a few months since it's gotten bad.... How could it not be treatable????

Nicholas

i don't think anyone is saying that it's untreatable - i think the message is to recognize that nobody can control these kinds of things whether they have good or bad hair - the variables in our life are just so complex....but what we CAN do - and what people HAVE done (people who are regrowing hair or continuing with healthy hair or people with hair loss) is pursue the balancing of the organism..pursue that sometimes elusive oxidative metabolism. It is the only thing you can do. You have already ventured into the Peat realm - and i believe the Peat view is on a higher level than simplistic views of the body you might find in a hairloss forum. The higher goal here, i believe, is to be a good steward of the entire body and not just bits and pieces. The information in Danny Roddy's book is a book for everyone - it's kind of annoying that it's marketed to hair-folk....it diminishes in a way the over-arching Peat message. You will also find that there is very little information in any of Peat's writings or in Roddy's writings on HOW you pursue oxidative metabolism (and eating "peat foods" is NOT how you do that). The only people i am aware of that are able to genuinely communicate the HOW are the private practitioners - and the only ones that i am aware of specifically who understand the HOW are Kate Deering & East West Healing.

I've been there, and at an earlier age than you so don't think I don't know what it's like. In all honesty I think the advice in HLAF is about the best hope you have so just follow the advice to the T and be patient, you can't switch these things off like a switch.

Actually the 'try not to worry about it' advice is actually pretty good, stress can only make your condition (or any others) worse. The more you think about it the bigger an issue it will seem to you. If you are taking all the steps you can as regards your diet and habits then give yourself some credit and breathing space, you are doing all you can. Sorry to be harsh but the odds of somebody to post on this or any other forum saying I did this and my problem was instantly gone are pretty slim and would more than likely lead to disappointment anyway.

Giraffe

I started implementing Peat's ideas in May. It's some weeks ago that I noticed that there are far less hairs in the sink when I wash my hair. By that time the only supplement I used was vitamin E. It's too early to say, if my hair is thickening, but I think it will do.

OP
D

Dhair

Giraffe said:
I started implementing Peat's ideas in May. It's some weeks ago that I noticed that there are far less hairs in the sink when I wash my hair. By that time the only supplement I used was vitamin E. It's too early to say, if my hair is thickening, but I think it will do.

That's refreshing to hear.
Unfortunately mine is shedding so rapidly at this point that I believe I will be completely bald by the end of the year, no matter what I do.
I'm not being a defeatist buy i run my hand over my head and several hairs come out at a time. It's really scary.
I'm well away of finasteride,'s sexual side effects but I'd rather be dead than bald. I may just go to a dermatologist and throw caustion to the wind.

Giraffe

I think the others gave you good advice. Your long alcohol abuse will have depleted a lot of your stores. If you get some lab work done and post it here, people can give you more informed advice.

Alcohol is estrogenic. If I were you I would abstain 100% for a while.

You can use just coffee (not shampoo) to wash your hair. It feels good on the skin.

Good luck! :)

Tarmander

Why is your hair so important to you? Like what does losing it represent? Losing your manly hood? Losing your attraction to females?

OP
D

Dhair

I'm 22.
No girl my age or younger would date a bald kid.

DKayJoe

uuy8778yyi said:

I what way do you think him sharing his experience of losing hair and in the end him realizing it only mattered as much as he made it matter so bad to warrant that sort of response? Not to mention the fact that he also offered a source of information which would be helpful to him. I'm 24 and started losing hair at around 21, I'm still losing it slowly but surely and haven't yet found a way to stop it but I 100% agree with this guy that it really is only as big a deal as you make it.

Back to the original topic, implement some basic peaty things, it's definitely helped me with hair although not stopped it, the main benefit that I have experienced with it is that I don't care nearly as much about losing it as I did (I realize that may be difficult to believe right now but trust me), though I have yet to try caffiene should definitely have a positive affect on hair growth, aspirin as well to a certain degree although it inhibits PG's that stimulate both growth and loss.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals