Topical Melatonin For Hair Growth And Repigmentation

David PS

Ray Peat does not write very much about melatonin. That my be in part because both tryptophan and serotonin are precursors to melatonin (see the second of the two links for a visual = oo1.png).
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s002990000206/lookinside/000.png
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s002990000206/lookinside/001.png

The case for topical melatonin is stated near the end of the article entitled "Oxidative Stress in Ageing of Hair"at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2929555/#sec1-10title

also see [The influence ofmelatoninonhairphysiology].
[Article in German] [The influence of melatonin on hair physiology]. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
Melatonin, the pineal gland hormone and a strong antioxidant, has long been known, particularly in animal-experiment based research and the wool-producing industry, to be a potent regulatory neuroendocrine substance in relation tohairgrowth,haircolor andhaircycle, depending on light periods, seasonal rhythms, environmental factors and reproductive rhythms. Nevertheless, the biological mechanisms of this extremely versatile hormone, especially with regard to humanhairfollicles, are not fully understood. In recent years, however, essential knowledge has been gained on the melatoninergic system of the skin,melatoninlevels in keratinocytes andhairfollicles, extrapineal intrafollicularmelatoninsynthesis and noradrenalin-induced increase in synthesis, as well ashaircycle-dependent expression of the membrane-boundmelatoninreceptor MT2 and the nuclear receptor RORalpha. Functional data on the growth of humanhairboth in vitro and in vivo show thatmelatoninmight play an essential role inhairphysiology.

Another article is at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19799039
[Protective effect ofmelatoninon oxidative stress inducing hair follicle injury in scald rat].

I don't see a downside to trying this for topically for a few months. I not sure exactly how. Any thoughts?

OP
David PS

David PS

I am still learning how to post
001.png

zooma

RP has specifically written against melatonin in addition to serotonin/tryptophan. I think it was his 'Aging eyes..' article where he linked it to something as severe as retinal damage, and that isn't the only time he has cautioned against it.

The forum's search engine or Toxinless should bring them up if you are interested :thumbsup:

Giraffe

Here is the full text of the German article you linked.

The author writes a lot about the murine hair. (Melatonin raises prolactin. Prolactin increases progesterone in rodents, but in humans it decreases it. See see Ray Peat interview.)

The author writes:
Auch wenn durch diese dokumentierten Beobachtungen der Beweis einer Wirkung von Melatonin auf die Pigmentierung von humanen Haarfollikeln noch nicht erbracht ist, schliesen die bisher vorliegenden Daten eine Rolle von Melatonin in diesem Zusammenhang nicht aus, zumal Hormoneffekte konzentrations- und speziesabhangig unterschiedlich sein können.

Translated: There is no prove yet the that melatonin has effect on pigmentation of human hair follicles; effects can depend on concentration and be different for different species.

He mentions that the results of (the few) in-situ studies on human skin are contradicting. He also mentions that there was one big study (1,900 patients) that has not been published. (??) And finally he cites a small study he has conducted himself. He sees the result as a small success. This study was discussed in a German speaking alopecia forum. A poster claims to have written to an expert. This was the reply, "The result is not something to write home about. Increased anagen hair rate means less hair is falling out daily, what you want is that your hair looks thicker. Melatonin basically does two things: It makes you sleepy and fat."

Last edited:

Giraffe

One thing I wanted to add: I read somewhere that diffuse alopecia in females often means that they have vellus hair (peachy fuzz) instead of terminal hair. This can be sign of under eating. Melatonin might have effect in some people via increased appetite.

Denathrius

I have applied topically on my scalp 25mg of melatonin mixed in water since last week, each night before going to bed in my shower.
I have tried a s**t tons of topical in my life, and a tons of internal aswell to get rid of my seborrheic dermatitis and those scalp acne accompanied by the hair loss shedding and the thinning in the aga area. After the first day i tried it, all the pimples had dried out and none came back since, the hair feel for a long time free and its by far the best topical i have tryed. Above caffeine, niacinamide, onion juice, tea, theanine, taurine, enzyme, zinc, retinol, .... you name it.
Can someone explain me why melatonin is working when it should be bad from the peat point of view? Why is it working so damm well ??

since my 17 years old of life i had always couples of pimple in my scalp, it is the first time i am totaly free of them

Andy316

I have applied topically on my scalp 25mg of melatonin mixed in water since last week, each night before going to bed in my shower.
I have tried a s**t tons of topical in my life, and a tons of internal aswell to get rid of my seborrheic dermatitis and those scalp acne accompanied by the hair loss shedding and the thinning in the aga area. After the first day i tried it, all the pimples had dried out and none came back since, the hair feel for a long time free and its by far the best topical i have tryed. Above caffeine, niacinamide, onion juice, tea, theanine, taurine, enzyme, zinc, retinol, .... you name it.
Can someone explain me why melatonin is working when it should be bad from the peat point of view? Why is it working so damm well ??

since my 17 years old of life i had always couples of pimple in my scalp, it is the first time i am totaly free of them

Which brand of topical melatonin and how is your scalp/hair health now?

TobyBjorn

I’m on the fence as I review all the liturature I can get my hands on about melatonin, but my direct experience suggests that exogenous melatonin at night protects my hair from greying and may also reduce or slow my male hair loss, with a stronger effect than anything else I have tried. Topical or sublingual does not seem to matter. I’m swedish, red hair, and right at the average age of accelerated greying and hair loss.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom