Did Ray Peat just recommended topical honey for hair ?

Old Irenaeus

Just smeared a mix of coffee and manuka honey over my scalp, face, and beard. I have no idea if it will work or not but it sure smells wonderful.

OP
D

Darkmortal

Honey is a tried-and-tested hydrating agent for hair. I can also add that it seems to keep yellowing of white hair at bay. Not sure its sugars will actually be absorbed by the scalp.
Why do you think honey’s sugars won’t get absorbed into the scalp? If so, what’s the best way to transfer glucose into the scalp?

ivy

Why do you think honey’s sugars won’t get absorbed into the scalp? If so, what’s the best way to transfer glucose into the scalp?
Do you realize that the effectiveness of most topicals is limited? That is partly because sometimes the particles of X chemical we want to deliver are too big or there is no known or safe carrier for it. My response is therefore not specific to honey or sugars! The scalp is still a mysterious portion of the skin and the top by no means reacts in the same ways as the nape area, for instance. Why are hair follicles mostly destroyed on top but not on the sides? Blood circulation is not the only reason, otherwise transplanted hair would simply perish after relocation. It doesn't, I can tell you. There are tons of threads on hair and baldness where these issues are discussed, and very good contributions from older users like Travis, Clash, and Elephanto. Don't just expect to splash something nutritious on the scalp and work miracles, that's sadly not how it works.

OP
D

Darkmortal

Do you realize that the effectiveness of most topicals is limited? That is partly because sometimes the particles of X chemical we want to deliver are too big or there is no known or safe carrier for it. My response is therefore not specific to honey or sugars! The scalp is still a mysterious portion of the skin and the top by no means reacts in the same ways as the nape area, for instance. Why are hair follicles mostly destroyed on top but not on the sides? Blood circulation is not the only reason, otherwise transplanted hair would simply perish after relocation. It doesn't, I can tell you. There are tons of threads on hair and baldness where these issues are discussed, and very good contributions from older users like Travis, Clash, and Elephanto. Don't just expect to splash something nutritious on the scalp and work miracles, that's sadly not how it works.
I totally understand, and I’m not expecting this to be a miracle of a cure if it’s even helpful by any means, i was randomly scrolling through this convo in which Ray said so, so i just brought it here into discussion because i wasn’t familiar with any thread mentioning this specific topic or mechanism ( that the hair follicle is heavily dependent on glucose ) and I thought why not experiment with it.

Last edited:
OP
D

Darkmortal

It’s also known that the human scalp is 4x more likely to absorb topicals than any other skin surface on the body which some people relying on it solely for topical supplementation ( topical k and d on foot, arms, neck etc. )

@Darkmortal But then do you have to rinse them with water or is the topical application "dry"? 🤔 I actually noticed very powerful responses when washing my hair with extra virgin olive oil and vitamin E...I might try adding vitamin D 👍

golder

@Darkmortal But then do you have to rinse them with water or is the topical application "dry"? 🤔 I actually noticed very powerful responses when washing my hair with extra virgin olive oil and vitamin E...I might try adding vitamin D 👍
How do you do the olive oil/vitamin E wash? Do you soak it on the hair for a few hours then wash off wish shampoo later? Interested to try this!

OP
D

Darkmortal

Actually so far not so good, no progress whatsoever nor from the bromocriptine solution, not a single successful hair growth routine I've found on this forum to be helpful, actually, other than Ray Peat himself (kmud and Danny's collabs), this whole forum has been an absolute waste of time, and they wanna make money off of it lol

golder

Actually so far not so good, no progress whatsoever nor from the bromocriptine solution, not a single successful hair growth routine I've found on this forum to be helpful, actually, other than Ray Peat himself (kmud and Danny's collabs), this whole forum has been an absolute waste of time, and they wanna make money off of it lol
Same, but my body feels better, so I know that the philosophies are not a waste of time. I imagine a fair bit of damage has been done and it would require a complete life transformation just to even experience some mild hair regrowth. Very frustrating, but I’m not going to say that increasing my metabolism has been a waste of time.

S

shucknchuck

If you think any solution would result in hair growth after two months for the average hypo male in the West, I’ve got some ocean front property in Arizona you may want to take a look at, lol jk jk

Jokes aside, Some of the best recorded results I’ve seen for hair regrowth took many months at least, and most were skinny guys (idk if you’re skinny or not but it’s a necessary correlation when showing that something may have a bigger effect than we give it credit for).

I’d just focus on liver, gut, and thyroid, in that order, until you’re seeing positive results on that front, and maybe then, work on the hair/weight loss/etc.

Haidut says for himself, a lot of new hair grows in the winter, but falls out again every year, and after years of fixing metabolism, that’s the closest he’s gotten to fixing his hair (I may have switched seasons idk). I think fundamentally, for him, the high body fat being the estrogen producing organ it is, keeps the full hormonal recovery from taking optimal effect. I believe that’s happened to me as well.

I’d just be slow to assign ”didn’t work,” when there are some huge health problems that are significantly effecting many things we don’t want to happen. Maybe what didn’t work, was the order in which I prioritized solutions to a problem. Maybe I didn’t need to hop straight for the thing I wanted to fix first, and instead went after the thing I needed to fix first (like being ok with my fat/bald self while tackling liver health and rt3). Maybe 2 minute snippets out of thousands of hours of Peat context should not be considered magic pill dispensers for whatever we want, but rather, be compiled into broader contexts of less fun solutions, if they are to be used most effectively — at least, that’s when I’ve had most success.

Apple

Some testimonials are promissing:

Bethany says
March 22, 2023 at 12:50 pm
I did the urine test and was labeled iodine deficient but with normal thyroid numbers and severe hair thinning. Dr put me on 12.5 Iodoral and I continued that for about 4 years with no real changes. Then suddenly my heart rate was 130 resting, I lost 20 lbs, my hair was growing and my lower legs were swelling. Dr checked TSH and it was 0. He said to stop all iodine. Over the next 6 months the symptoms went away. During this time my hair grew like i was a teenager (im 49). Then very suddenly, I gained 20lbs and hair loss returned. That was almost a year ago. My hair loss is increasing and I can’t lose the weight. My dr retired so I’m sort of on my own until I find a new one. I’m not sure if I should start iodine again or not. It took 4 years to get hyperthyroid so maybe I need some-i just got too much? Any insight is appreciated.

golder

Some testimonials are promissing:

Bethany says
March 22, 2023 at 12:50 pm
I did the urine test and was labeled iodine deficient but with normal thyroid numbers and severe hair thinning. Dr put me on 12.5 Iodoral and I continued that for about 4 years with no real changes. Then suddenly my heart rate was 130 resting, I lost 20 lbs, my hair was growing and my lower legs were swelling. Dr checked TSH and it was 0. He said to stop all iodine. Over the next 6 months the symptoms went away. During this time my hair grew like i was a teenager (im 49). Then very suddenly, I gained 20lbs and hair loss returned. That was almost a year ago. My hair loss is increasing and I can’t lose the weight. My dr retired so I’m sort of on my own until I find a new one. I’m not sure if I should start iodine again or not. It took 4 years to get hyperthyroid so maybe I need some-i just got too much? Any insight is appreciated.
Why didn’t she just cut the iodine dose by like 80%. Sounds like her body reacted well too it, then the high dose just stored too high in her tissues and caused problems? What’s peats take on extremely low dose iodine a few times a week?

sunny

Interesting . Add a bit of T3 and caffeine to the mix and and you're good to go.

I already apply t3 dissolved in gin, so I might add plain table sugar and see if I notice an improvement.

With the t3 I notice an almost immediate improvement in hair quality and texture . Similar to the difference of a bad vs. a good hair day.
Are you just dissolving a cynomel in the gin?

Mauritio

Did anybody try coke as hair rinse? Ir provides sugar AND caffeine, so should ge great for hair. Even better would be a sort of a paste that contains caffeine and sugar and you can leave on the sclap for longer . I was thinking about mixing cocount oil and coke but water and fat dont mix.

Ismail

Did anybody try coke as hair rinse? Ir provides sugar AND caffeine, so should ge great for hair. Even better would be a sort of a paste that contains caffeine and sugar and you can leave on the sclap for longer . I was thinking about mixing cocount oil and coke but water and fat dont mix.
Don’t give me ideas! Lol 😂

That’s actually quite a good idea! (In theory anyways)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals