Help Needed For Hair Loss Regimen

Murtaza

Hey, ive been reading threads on this forum for about two weeks now and finaly decided to make a thread regarding my problem. I stumbled upon the name Ray peat after reading 'Hair like a Fox' by Danny Roddy. Ive looked over this forum for specific hair loss regimens that have actually worked for people but i couldnt find any, so here i am.
A little background : im 20 years old and started losing hair when i was about 16. I love my hair as much as Danny Roddy loves his hair (you'd know how much if you've read his book) so naturally ive always been on a look out for a 'cure'. My doctor diagnosed me with MPB but i guess according to Ray and Danny that isnt a thing. I recently got my thyroid level tested too and apparenting everything is in 'normal' range so that confuses me even more. Sorry for the long post, but i really need help. Thankyou.

franc0

Hey man, I literally have the same story as you, I've posted twice asking the forum for help,
just look at my posts and follow the advice everyone gave me,
all the best

OP
M

Murtaza

Hey man, I literally have the same story as you, I've posted twice asking the forum for help,
just look at my posts and follow the advice everyone gave me,
all the best
thanks for the reply. Ill look at your posts now. Did the advice they gave you work for you?

PhilParma

IMO it's hard to say what "works" anecdotally because it takes many months for results to kick in. If you start taking taurine and it halts shedding after two months and initiates regrowth after six months, how would you really know it was the taurine unless you altered zero other variables over all of those months? At the point of regrowth you might say to yourself, "oh, it must be that I stopped drinking milk last week. Yeah that must be it. FINALLY." Am I making sense?

I've thrown the kitchen sink at my scalp since spring 2017. I'm a diffuse thinner; the shower drain used to be covered in hair. Now I don't shed at all in the shower. No hairs in the drain for months. I think I'm seeing some regrowth, but it's hard to say for sure. My hairloss is pretty minor; or at least the fact that it's diffuse makes it seem minor--I can cover it up as long as I keep my hair relatively long.

Things I've done with the specific aim of "hair health":
topical and oral niacinamide
topical and oral aspirin (I've since stopped this)
topical and oral caffeine
topical and oral taurine
topical and oral sodium bicarbonate
topical polysorbate 80
topical vitamin D
scalp massage
red light exposure
sunlight exposure during summer months--no hats

Also probably other things that I can't remember. So many variables. Based on what I've read, red light and scalp massage hold the most promise. Restrict PUFA too, obviously. Maybe make your own topical solution with taurine and sodium or something. Spray it on your scalp. Buy a red light for $30 on Amazon. Shine it on your scalp for 2-5 minutes per day. Massage your head. I take out my aggression on my scalp. Disrupt it physically. Don't let it calcify or become fibrotic.

I dunno.

:hairpull

franc0

thanks for the reply. Ill look at your posts now. Did the advice they gave you work for you?
Tbh I've shot myself in the foot since starting uni because I've been out drinking, and when I say drinking I mean getting shitfaced every weekend, so my hairs taken a beating and the temples have thinned even more to the point where i've had to buzz it off, but i've stopped going out from now on, so i'm just waiting to see whether my regimen can help thicken what I have left.
My regimen includes
niacinamide, K2, caffeine(via coffee) aspirin, red light, calcium, D3, taurine, vitamin A (via pate and cooked greens), avoiding pufas as best I can and if I can't i'll take vitamin E
occasionally i'll use zinc and topical progesterone,
little early to say its helped me yet, but as opposed to how quick it what coming out when I was 17, I'd say its definitely stabilised to a good degree; I thought by now I'd be slick bald.

eddiem991

Like you I found Danny Roddy first, which led me to Ray Peat. Stop focusing on your thyroid if it's normal. My advice to you is the following:

Avoid:
Vegetable oils and other food high in PUFA (don't try to completely avoid PUFA as it's impossible)
Stress (all kinds of stress)
Alcohol
[Non peat] Large amounts of starch and sugar
Nicotine

Add:
Selen disulphide or Ketokonazole shampoo
Vitamin E Tocomin Suprabio
Taurine

I assume you get your daily nutrition from food :)

Good luck :)

marcar72

Do what many men do and invest in a set of electric clippers.

Take said clippers and shave your head every week or two, it's called the "reverse comb-over".

Show that hair who's boss!! :D

johnwester130

Hey, ive been reading threads on this forum for about two weeks now and finaly decided to make a thread regarding my problem. I stumbled upon the name Ray peat after reading 'Hair like a Fox' by Danny Roddy. Ive looked over this forum for specific hair loss regimens that have actually worked for people but i couldnt find any, so here i am.
A little background : im 20 years old and started losing hair when i was about 16. I love my hair as much as Danny Roddy loves his hair (you'd know how much if you've read his book) so naturally ive always been on a look out for a 'cure'. My doctor diagnosed me with MPB but i guess according to Ray and Danny that isnt a thing. I recently got my thyroid level tested too and apparenting everything is in 'normal' range so that confuses me even more. Sorry for the long post, but i really need help. Thankyou.

vitamin a, d , k2 and magnesium oil to balance the vitamin d

low dose pregnenolone/dhea
low dose progesterone
low dose DHT or testosterone

zinc/copper supplement - drink with milk to avoid sickness
taurine - works well with zinc and magnesium
b vitamins

read the newbie guide here

https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/simple-newbie-guide-to-peats-work.20532/

johnwester130

John you supplement both zinc and copper? zinc morning, copper night, or??

optizinc, contains both zinc and copper.

Optizinc is a patented zinc that doesn't interfere with copper levels, it's probably the best zinc supplement.

Drink it with milk to avoid the nausea.

I did forget lysine - incredible collagen booster and should be included.

Opti-zinc rocks! - AutismWeb Forum

Last edited:

johnwester130

some afterthoughts :

pregnenolone and DHEA can be avoided.
a man needs progesterone and DHT or low dose testosterone
b1, b2, and niacinamide are the most important b vitamins

OP
M

Murtaza

Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually forgot i made this thread since i had my finals last week (uni life ugh). Anyway my diet rn is standard peat stuff with about 2500 cals, OJ, coffee, avoiding PUFA as much as i can, good ratio of carbs and protiens. Ive stopped drinking alcohol completely in quest of stopping my hair loss.

At the moment my supplements include:
Asprin - 750 mg
Vit K2 - 1.2 mg x twice a day
Progest-e 3 drops x 5 times a day (i know this is pretty high dose for a male but i read somewhere on this forum that you have to dose high for the first 10 days and tapper it down slowly)
Vit D - 20000 IU every third day (GP prescribed it)
Magnesium - 1200 mg before bed
Polysorbate 80 - 4 times a week

This is pretty basic stuff that ive been since a few days. I gotta say the hair fall has reduced and my hair just looks a bit more dense.

I think i was kinda shy on the introduction so ill get more into detail now. Well ive always been extremely hairy all over my body. I started developing beard when i was 14 (i know, crazy). By the time i was 16 i had visible terminal hair on my neck too, this obviously was very embarrasing for me as i was the only one in my friends to have this. Around this time my hair loss started and at the time i had seb dermatitis as well. I had my head shaved twice in the next 3 years and that made the dermatitis a little bit better but its not completely gone. Like if i dont shampoo for 3 days, i can see visible flaking.

All of this took a toll on my overall confidence and self-esteem as well. I became overly cautious about my appearence. I didnt feel like socializing anymore because i was always afraid that someone might say something about my appearence. I literally lost my voice, people would always tell me to speak up since they cant hear me (i wasnt like this before). I just cant be assertive anymore, i cave even when im confronted with the slightest of inconvinience.

Oh did i mention cystic acne? Lol by now you'd be thinking this guy is a total wreck. Well long story short, i had severe acne which obviously came with acne scars. I eventually became fed up when nothing worked for me and gave into accutane. Took it for 3 months. Cured my acne completely although that came with a price. Severe depression for 6 months or so. I was even suicidal, but now im better.

I havent had any labs done recently but im pretty sure im estrogen dominant since i have hair on my back, upper arms, chest, ear lobes, upper cheeks etc hence experimenting with progest-e. My beard grows pretty fast (i have very prominent 5 o clock shadow even when i shave in the morning) although im not sure what this indicates. I know this may sound desperate but i just wanna stop my hair loss and regain my lost confidence in the process. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and im sorry if i said something that was ignorant to peating since im kinda new to this forum.

brix

my hairloss stopped after taking copper, calcium, and magnesium...
gbolduev's recommendations.

EIRE24

Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually forgot i made this thread since i had my finals last week (uni life ugh). Anyway my diet rn is standard peat stuff with about 2500 cals, OJ, coffee, avoiding PUFA as much as i can, good ratio of carbs and protiens. Ive stopped drinking alcohol completely in quest of stopping my hair loss.

At the moment my supplements include:
Asprin - 750 mg
Vit K2 - 1.2 mg x twice a day
Progest-e 3 drops x 5 times a day (i know this is pretty high dose for a male but i read somewhere on this forum that you have to dose high for the first 10 days and tapper it down slowly)
Vit D - 20000 IU every third day (GP prescribed it)
Magnesium - 1200 mg before bed
Polysorbate 80 - 4 times a week

This is pretty basic stuff that ive been since a few days. I gotta say the hair fall has reduced and my hair just looks a bit more dense.

I think i was kinda shy on the introduction so ill get more into detail now. Well ive always been extremely hairy all over my body. I started developing beard when i was 14 (i know, crazy). By the time i was 16 i had visible terminal hair on my neck too, this obviously was very embarrasing for me as i was the only one in my friends to have this. Around this time my hair loss started and at the time i had seb dermatitis as well. I had my head shaved twice in the next 3 years and that made the dermatitis a little bit better but its not completely gone. Like if i dont shampoo for 3 days, i can see visible flaking.

All of this took a toll on my overall confidence and self-esteem as well. I became overly cautious about my appearence. I didnt feel like socializing anymore because i was always afraid that someone might say something about my appearence. I literally lost my voice, people would always tell me to speak up since they cant hear me (i wasnt like this before). I just cant be assertive anymore, i cave even when im confronted with the slightest of inconvinience.

Oh did i mention cystic acne? Lol by now you'd be thinking this guy is a total wreck. Well long story short, i had severe acne which obviously came with acne scars. I eventually became fed up when nothing worked for me and gave into accutane. Took it for 3 months. Cured my acne completely although that came with a price. Severe depression for 6 months or so. I was even suicidal, but now im better.

I havent had any labs done recently but im pretty sure im estrogen dominant since i have hair on my back, upper arms, chest, ear lobes, upper cheeks etc hence experimenting with progest-e. My beard grows pretty fast (i have very prominent 5 o clock shadow even when i shave in the morning) although im not sure what this indicates. I know this may sound desperate but i just wanna stop my hair loss and regain my lost confidence in the process. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and im sorry if i said something that was ignorant to peating since im kinda new to this forum.
Did you ever try anything else for acne or just accutane?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals