Cascara Sagrada Powder - Ray Peat Recommended Cascara From Farmalabor In Italy

Logan-

@LifeGivingStore does your cascara sagrada contain maltodextrin?

Farmalabor Cascara Contains Maltodextrin

Edit: I just saw that it does contain maltodextrin.

-Other ingredients: Maltodextrin

- Life Giving Store

Don't you think this is problematic?

Nickerson, Kourtney P et al. “Deregulation of intestinal anti-microbial defense by the dietary additive, maltodextrin.” Gut microbes vol. 6,1 (2015): 78-83. doi:10.1080/19490976.2015.1005477

Last edited:
OP
LifeGivingStore
@LifeGivingStore does your cascara sagrada contain maltodextrin?

Farmalabor Cascara Contains Maltodextrin

Edit: I just saw that it does contain maltodextrin.

- Life Giving Store

Don't you think this is problematic?

Nickerson, Kourtney P et al. “Deregulation of intestinal anti-microbial defense by the dietary additive, maltodextrin.” Gut microbes vol. 6,1 (2015): 78-83. doi:10.1080/19490976.2015.1005477
Hi Logan-, thank you for your inquiry. As you noted yes it does contain maltodextrin. Ray Peat is well aware of this and it still remains his top choice for cascara. We have not noticed any issues with it, quite the contrary as this cascara is incredibly healing. We agree with Ray Peat, this is probably one of the best cascara sagrada powders on the planet. And we have tried many.

Logan-

Hi Logan-, thank you for your inquiry. As you noted yes it does contain maltodextrin. Ray Peat is well aware of this and it still remains his top choice for cascara. We have not noticed any issues with it, quite the contrary as this cascara is incredibly healing. We agree with Ray Peat, this is probably one of the best cascara sagrada powders on the planet. And we have tried many.

How much maltodextrin, approximately, does your product contain per 100 mg, could you share?

qwazy

Is there a chance that this comes without the maltodextrin? For me it is a dealbreaker.

brocktoon

Sorry if I’m reviving this old thread, but I didn’t want to start a new one., and it seemed as good a place to ask.

Has anyone had any experience with this Cascara Sagrada?

Pure Original Cascara Sagrada
Did you try the product in the link you provided? Results? I have tried a CD product from Italy that is "aged" consistent with Dr. Peat's comments (Forefront Health). It did work for me in terms of helping with constipation at least.

Vandivier

Forum Supporter
I did try it.

Not every day though. I have days that I use it and it does it’s job. There are days that I do not get any effect.

I was using half a tsp in the beginning. Now using 1 full tsp. But I still get the same result, regardless.

I’m thinking of increasing up to 2 tsp and see how it goes.

brocktoon

I did try it.

Not every day though. I have days that I use it and it does it’s job. There are days that I do not get any effect.

I was using half a tsp in the beginning. Now using 1 full tsp. But I still get the same result, regardless.

I’m thinking of increasing up to 2 tsp and see how it goes.
I see. 1-2 tsp is quite a bit, but your product may not be super strong. I wouldn't hesitate to double the dose and gauge the effect.

Kray

Did you try the product in the link you provided? Results? I have tried a CD product from Italy that is "aged" consistent with Dr. Peat's comments (Forefront Health). It did work for me in terms of helping with constipation at least.
@brocktoon - are you saying the Forefront Health cascara sells the Farmalabor product, or one similar to it? I just purchased Forefront Health while looking on the internet for a powder form (vs capsule) so I can customize my dose, and not worry about fillers. I look forward to trying this brand. Reviews on their website seem to speak highly as to its quality and effectiveness.

brocktoon

@brocktoon - are you saying the Forefront Health cascara sells the Farmalabor product, or one similar to it? I just purchased Forefront Health while looking on the internet for a powder form (vs capsule) so I can customize my dose, and not worry about fillers. I look forward to trying this brand. Reviews on their website seem to speak highly as to its quality and effectiveness.
I don't think Forefront Health's site specifically says Farmalabor, but I think that's their supplier based on their description and the owner's seeming devotion to Peat (and copying of Dinkov for that matter).

Kray

I don't think Forefront Health's site specifically says Farmalabor, but I think that's their supplier based on their description and the owner's seeming devotion to Peat (and copying of Dinkov for that matter).
👍 I appreciate that. Thank you for getting back to me.

Fllora

Hi, this is a reply to you and Kray, in case this is of interest.
I just looked at the Forefront product, as I am checking out all available sources of the aged Farmalabor (we assume) Cascara.
Forefront: $20 for 15 gr.
Live Giving Store (the first in the U.S. to sell it, i believe): $30 for 50 gr., and progressively less per gram the greater amount you buy
Saturee in Australia, but ships to U.S.: $64 for 75 grams (less 15% off first order)
None of these includes shipping.
Mountain Rose no longer carries it - their Cascara is U.S. sourced
I think I'll go with Life Giving Store.

Last edited:

Kray

Hi, this is a reply to you and Kray, in case this is of interest.
I just looked at the Forefront product, as I am checking out all available sources of the aged Farmalabor (we assume) Cascara.
Forefront: $20 for 15 gr.
Live Giving Store (the first in the U.S. to sell it, i believe): $30 for 50 gr., and progressively less per gram the greater amount you buy
Saturee in Australia, but ships to U.S.: $64 for 75 grams (less 15% off first order)
None of these includes shipping.
Mountain Rose no longer carries it - their Cascara is U.S. sourced
I think I'll go with Life Giving Store.
@Fllora thanks for the tip! I'll remember when I need to restock-- I've already placed my order with FH. FWIW- shipping is free with my order, so that helps offset a bit.