Ray Peat recommends Massage for Hair Growth

Ben.

Hasn't the blood flow theory on its own been proven BS though? Most of the studies that showed results with any kind of scalp massage or microneedling were using fin or minoxidil in conjunction with it

Thats only based on the assumption that the cause for hair loss is the same for everyone. For some people its what they need to get their head/scalp the nutrients/minerals and oxygen it needs to grow hair properly again and have the specific enzymes working again.

It might even be just 1 person out of thousands. Still worth trying imo.
Would i call it a cure? Ofcourse not. Doing handstands and massages seems easy enough to incorporate and is free however.

mrchibbs

In this recent interview, Ray is actually recommending Scalp massage for 15 minutes everyday for hair growth. This is new to most of us, and we probably thought Ray would say ONLY recommend a bioenergetic diet and thyroid supplements to grow hair. Looks like we were wrong. Ray continues to enlighten us with new information. Lately oatmeal and oat bran, now scalp massage.

Not the first time @tallglass13

He's talked positively about massages in several interviews when directly asked for the past few years.

mrchibbs

But the important thing to mention is that it requires dedicated effort, and this is obvious from Rob English's work.

Even just getting vellus hair to start appearing again takes months of daily massages, done properly, while also tackling the basics (nutrition, sunlight/vit D, stress).

A tiny minority ever gets all those things right, but if you have the information/understanding and the dedication/discipline, it's possible.

OP
tallglass13

tallglass13

Not the first time @tallglass13

He's talked positively about massages in several interviews when directly asked for the past few years.
Oh, I did not know that, despite listening to a whole bunch of his interview's, Danny Roddy has been Poo-Pooing massages since the day 1, so If he heard Ray talk about Scalp massages, he might have had a difference stance on it.

OP
tallglass13

tallglass13

I don't want to speak for Ray, but the way he speaks about massage of the scalp is very similar to Detumescence Therapy. 15 minutes with fingers moving the scalp around without scrapping the hair and scalp. People are picturing a little massage or something, but I believe it more intense than that. Probably just like PHH. Along with thyroid, DHEA, great nutrition, low stress, great environment.

mrchibbs

Oh, I did not know that, despite listening to a whole bunch of his interview's, Danny Roddy has been Poo-Pooing massages since the day 1, so If he heard Ray talk about Scalp massages, he might have had a difference stance on it.

Yeah It's been a point of contention with Danny, I think his qualms with massage is that he's fighting the idea that massages can resolve hair loss without fixing the underlying issues which have caused hair loss, and I think he's right.

Rob English's work has made it obvious that the guys who manage to get hair growing usually do very disciplined massages along with extensive lifestyle changes. That is an extreme minority of men these days.

I had several interactions with Danny about this online or with email through the years. I think massages and or dermarolling can actually make things a lot worse if the individual is still dealing with chronic inflammation, and Danny has said that he's received hundreds of testimonials over the years of guys making things worse with mechanically stimulating the scalp. Dermarolling can definitely lead to more fibrosis, not less, depending on the physiological state of the individual.

But if the underlying inflammation is taken care of, massages, and acute wounding, just like for any other tissue in the human body, can restore function. Again, it's a matter of context.

But like Ray said in the interview with Jodelle, for guys with extensive balding, it requires dedication over a long time (years) and in the current era with ADHD and information overload, very few guys have the ability to focus for that long.

Mauritio

Hasn't the blood flow theory on its own been proven BS though? Most of the studies that showed results with any kind of scalp massage or microneedling were using fin or minoxidil in conjunction with it
I know for a fact that increased blood flow can cause regrowth.
Because I've been doing it for about 6 or 7 years ...scalp exercises that is.

Mauritio

Peats comment on this topic

Q:
Hello Mr. Peat,
I have managed to regrow a lot of hair simply by doing scalp exercises . I lost the hair in a typical male pattern baldness manner.
I never understood why the new hair was different in size and especially why it was immune to falling out when I experience times of increased stress. The old hair still falls out, but the new ones stay and if they fall out ,they regrow.
I've been wondering if I converted those hairs into the same kind of hair we have on the sides of our head.
Or maybe there is some epigenetic change going on.
Do you have any idea why the "new" hairs dont fall out anymore ?

Thank you.

A: Massage increases the blood supply, corrects the basic problem of maintenance.

OP
tallglass13

tallglass13

What has Ray said about oat meal and oat bran?
He is now lowering his Protein to about 50 grams daily, and eating oatmeal for breakfast. Oat bran has been his intestinal cleaner for a while now.

Last edited:

BrianF

Even as a, Scot, used to porridge oats, i find them quite rough on the guy. However. I'm led to believe there are processes for removing the anti-nutrients from the oats. Does Peat prepare them in any particular way?

OP
tallglass13

tallglass13

Even as a, Scot, used to porridge oats, i find them quite rough on the guy. However. I'm led to believe there are processes for removing the anti-nutrients from the oats. Does Peat prepare them in any particular way?
Well cooked with lots of milk added and sugar. There are Sprouted Oats on the market which would be better according to Ray, since sprouting removes alot of the anti-nutrients. If you are concerned about Phytic acid, I wouldn't be. Since phytic acid binds minerals, it has binded to minerals already in the plant. It would have to release all of it's minerals in you, in order to take up more minerals.

mrchibbs

He is now lowering his Protein to about 50 grams daily, and eating oatmeal for breakfast. Oat bran has been his intestinal cleaner for a while now.

He also used to not like mushrooms but when the research showed it was possible to remove toxins with long cooking, he changed his thinking. Oat bran + cascara + carrot salad + mushroom cream soup is guaranteed to clean bowels thoroughly.

mrchibbs

very much not BS. there are very few studies of scalp massages because nobody wants to fund that stuff but still there is enough published evidence to it and Rob English has written about it with references, it's pretty clear it can works.

Vins7

Thats only based on the assumption that the cause for hair loss is the same for everyone. For some people its what they need to get their head/scalp the nutrients/minerals and oxygen it needs to grow hair properly again and have the specific enzymes working again.

It might even be just 1 person out of thousands. Still worth trying imo.
Would i call it a cure? Ofcourse not. Doing handstands and massages seems easy enough to incorporate and is free however.
For the massage technique to work, it must be done in a specific way and for 20 minutes twice a day. It's quite laborious...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals