Peat Interview Jan. 24, 2019 On One Radio Network

Peat Tong

He said fully saturated peanut oil, meaning made to be fully saturated, referring to dietary supplementation of old rats with hydrogenated peanut oil restores activities of mitochondrial respiratory complexes in skeletal muscles.

Lynne

He said fully saturated peanut oil, meaning made to be fully saturated, referring to dietary supplementation of old rats with hydrogenated peanut oil restores activities of mitochondrial respiratory complexes in skeletal muscles.

:thumbsup:

50:29....

"Your body should store (maybe) 10 ounces of sugar, which can be drawn on during the night"

10 ounces white sugar = 22 Tbsp of sugar (1097 calories)

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the math here, this should be an eye-opener for many members with sleep problems.:darts:
He must be refering to liver glycogen, since as far as I know, muscles don't normally liberate in the bloodstream their glycogen content. It's interesting that muscles can store about 500 grams of glycogen. In the studies I saw, 'normal' people only store 100 grams of glycogen in the liver, but ( correct me if I'm wrong)Broda Barnes said that even in his time, almost half of all the population was hypothyroid, so today, probably most people are hypothyroid( it's very common seeing people with bulging bellies). So, I think it's makes a lot of sense that a very healthy person can store 3 times more glycogen in their livers. That probably also why healthy people tolerate bigger amounts of fructose more easily.

Well, I personally have *at least* 500 gram sugar a day often 700+ and still have sleep problems. 22 TBSP of sugar is only around 250-300 gram.

Does this mean though that we should have 22 tbsp. of sugar if we do wake up in the middle of the night? I will say I had around 1000 calories when I woke up a few times during Christmas break and sometimes that was enough to get me to get some good sleep, though it wasn't from pure sugar.

Because, if you wake up, that means your glucose stores have reached zero, right?

Or, possibly, make sure we get a huge shot of sugar (250 gram) right before bed at least until sleep is normalized?
I think it's important to note that not all of the sugar you ingest turns into glycogen. According to a study I saw, 45% of the carbs you ingest are burned right away during a period of 3 hours, and about 15% of fructose ends up as glycogen. This, I hypothesize, is with somebody with a 'normal' liver( probably a sluggish liver), which turns about 25% of the fructose you ingest into lactate. But if somebody is very healthy, It would make sense if the 25% of fructose that would turn into lactate now turns into glycogen. So, that would mean 40% of all fructose you eat turns into glycogen. According to a graph I saw, glucose is about half as efficient as fructose to refil liver glycogen, so maybe it's safe to assume that 7% of the glucose you ingest turns into liver glycogen( or 20% if you are very healthy). There is also the fact that when glucose and fructose are ingested in equal proportions at the same time, they increase carbohydrate oxidation by 50%, so that would mean that when you ingest sucrose, about 20% turns into liver glycogen. So 700 grams of sucrose would provide about 140 grams of glycogen for the liver. But I would think that, with a higher fat intake, some carbs would be spared, since the tissues are burning fat as well, so that could mean that much less carbs would be necessary to keep glycogen stores up. Just some thoughts.

Makrosky

I know for a fact our pregnenolone does NOT have estrogen, at least not in amounts that are detectable by HPLC/MS. We have had it tested by an independent lab, and COA from the vendor also shows lack of estrogen. I can send Dr. Peat a scoop or two to try but I know he does not like to endorse vendors and frankly I am not interested in getting endorse either (if he likes the pregnenolone).
Thanks haidut. Makes me feel better. Your supplier must be selling to many other resellers so there is estrogen-free pregnenolone out there. Probably a lot. Honestly I am still puzzled by Ray's comment... doesn't make any sense. The guy is dying for taking some preg and can't find a decent lab that sells it??? I mean... we are talking here about Ray, he has worked in labs and created patents....

For the record, I must say your stressnon feels very similar to healthnatura preg so I think their powder seems quite safe as well. Both seem good to me.

J

jb116

I suppose it makes sense. The body adapts to anything eventually, so if the carrot was killing most of the typical colon bacteria it eventually gets populated with one that can eat it or the existing one evolved to tolerate or even eat the carrot. Not something I would have expected, but I guess life is stranger than fiction :):
That leave mushroom and charcoal as gut cleansing tools (aside from antibiotics). I always liked charcoal and did not understand why Peat is so careful about it. Maybe somebody can ask him that question on the next show. I have not heard of people getting bad side effects from charcoal but maybe there are some out there that he knows about.
And based on what you're saying, I guess may be that is the reason I started having carrot once in a while and definitely not every day. Just sort of an inadvertent, subconscious decision.

achillea

I wrote to One Radio Network and asked Patrick if he could have Dr. Peat on maybe once a month. Patrick likes to have a regular guest like Dr Jennifer Daniels. He responded and has Dr Peat scheduled for February 19, 2019. Check in when the date gets close as he sometimes shuffles around.

Yeah, total hydrogenation doesn't generate trans fats, it generates only saturated fats. But partial hydrogenation does produce the trans fats.

J

jb116

The concern for metals in industrial hydrogenation doesn't bother Dr. Peat? Does anybody know what he has said regarding that?

theLaw

I think it's important to note that not all of the sugar you ingest turns into glycogen.

I ran an experiment where I took 1/4tsp of salt every 1/2hr while awake, and it drastically improved my ability to store/metabolize sugar properly.

It felt similar to thyroid actually.

@theLaw that's very interesting, I will try that soon. Did you find it helped with glycogen storage through the night, or was it something else you were targeting? That's currently my main battle.

I ran an experiment where I took 1/4tsp of salt every 1/2hr while awake, and it drastically improved my ability to store/metabolize sugar properly.

It felt similar to thyroid actually.
Salt lowers adrenalin, so that means less free fatty acids in the blood. I think simply lowering the free fatty acids is enough to make thyroid hormone work better. And you used a small amount in short intervals, so the stress hormones had much less chance to rise. I think salt would help with potassium retention as well, which is important for glycogen formation. That's an interesting experiment. I noticed increased temperature and heart rate, as well an increased sense of well-being, when I went back to my usual 600 mg dosage of niacinamide. I usually only eat salt with my meals, so 3 times a day. Gonna try to spread it out more, since sometimes I feel like I overdo on salt for that moment, which wouldn't happen with lower dosages more often.

Lynne

I wrote to One Radio Network and asked Patrick if he could have Dr. Peat on maybe once a month. Patrick likes to have a regular guest like Dr Jennifer Daniels. He responded and has Dr Peat scheduled for February 19, 2019. Check in when the date gets close as he sometimes shuffles around.
Great, thanks! :rockout

Yeah, total hydrogenation doesn't generate trans fats, it generates only saturated fats. But partial hydrogenation does produce the trans fats.

Interesting, cheers :grinning:

theLaw

@theLaw that's very interesting, I will try that soon. Did you find it helped with glycogen storage through the night, or was it something else you were targeting? That's currently my main battle.

It definitely helped with sleep. Small 1/4tsp of salt along with 8 ounces of milk + 1tbsp of sugar really helps me sleep deeply. I think that salted ice-cream would probably be most effective for sleep issues.

I always make it a point to add 1/4tsp salt to anything I eat/drink during the night.

Also, for ease of use, you can just fill gelatin caps full of salt.

Thanks for elaborating.
Curious observation about cocker spaniels needing 5 grains of thyroid at 1:15:30 in the interview.
Also the lady taking 15 grains of thyroid a day because of poor T4/T3 conversion.

theLaw

Thanks for elaborating.
Curious observation about cocker spaniels needing 5 grains of thyroid at 1:15:30 in the interview.
Also the lady taking 15 grains of thyroid a day because of poor T4/T3 conversion.

Danny and Georgi discussed the risk of a Thyroid storm at this dose on the last livestream, but Georgi had a few suggestions to bring it down immediately, an didn't seem too concerned.

I've always thought that thyroid is Ray's go-to sup for most health issues.

I always like to ask "What sup would you use is someone refuses to change diet?" The answer appears to be thyroid.

michael94

FA481EFD-E550-40F9-A7F7-E52ACB2EA046.jpeg

The concern for metals in industrial hydrogenation doesn't bother Dr. Peat? Does anybody know what he has said regarding that?

Yes I emailed him regarding this.

My question: Is Nickel in hydrogenated fats a concern? It seems most fats are hydrogenated with Nickel and some leeches into the final product.

Rays response attached.

J

jb116

View attachment 12053

Yes I emailed him regarding this.

My question: Is Nickel in hydrogenated fats a concern? It seems most fats are hydrogenated with Nickel and some leeches into the final product.

Rays response attached.
Thanks michael. Eh, it's one of those classic peat responses of ambiguity though, right? :) Didn't really say if - whatever metal it may be - he's concerned about it.
Palladium is toxic too.

michael94

Thanks michael. Eh, it's one of those classic peat responses of ambiguity though, right? :) Didn't really say if - whatever metal it may be - he's concerned about it.
Palladium is toxic too.
but its named after pegasus