Ray Peat Interview July 19, 2021 - One Radio Network

yerrag

@gaze @Lejeboca @yerrag Peat is referring to the psyllium husk only, the outer shell, when he recommends it for peristalsis, not the whole psyllium seed. He also sometimes recommends oat bran to people. These things have a little starch left on them, but you can wash some of it off.
I understand that as that is what we're talking about. The psyllium husk is the fiber. We are not talking about the psyllium seed as health food stores commonly sell the psyllium husk, not the whole seed.

Here is the result of searching for psyllium in Amazon:

boris

I understand that as that is what we're talking about. The psyllium husk is the fiber. We are not talking about the psyllium seed as health food stores commonly sell the psyllium husk, not the whole seed.

Here is the result of searching for psyllium in Amazon:

Oh, in german stores they sell both. Indeed confusing, maybe he changed his mind on psyllium. I think in general he portrays fermentable fiber as kind of a double edged sword, even though it can be harmful, it can be of benefit if it helps speed up transit time.

Also, sorry, I made a wrong statement about Peat recommending oat bran. It was WHEAT bran.

Ray Peat: "The right kind of fiber can benefit a variety of bowel problems. However, some types of fiber can exacerbate the problem[...]"

Ray Peat: "In general, cellulose fibers do protect against bowel cancer, but a few plant fibers that contain lignin or that are fermentable increase cancer. Wheat bran is the only common cereal fiber that’s protective."

Ray Peat: "A high fiber diet also lowers the risk of bowel cancer, and is being used increasingly for preventing and treating conditions such as colitis and diverticulitis."

Ray Peat: “Undigestible fiber, if it isn’t broken down by bowel bacteria, increases fecal bulk, and tends to speed the transit of material through the intestine, just as laxatives do. But some of these “fiber” materials, e.g., lignin, are themselves estrogenic, and other fibers, by promoting bacterial growth, can promote the conversion of harmless substances into toxins and carcinogens. When there is a clear “antiestrogen” effect from dietary fiber, it seems to be the result of accelerated transit through the intestine, speeding elimination and preventing reabsorption of the estrogen which has been excreted in the bile. Laxatives have this same effect on the excretion of estradiol.”

Birdie

Oh, in german stores they sell both. Indeed confusing, maybe he changed his mind on psyllium. I think in general he portrays fermentable fiber as kind of a double edged sword, even though it can be harmful, it can be of benefit if it helps speed up transit time.

Also, sorry, I made a wrong statement about Peat recommending oat bran. It was WHEAT bran.

Ray Peat: "The right kind of fiber can benefit a variety of bowel problems. However, some types of fiber can exacerbate the problem[...]"

Ray Peat: "In general, cellulose fibers do protect against bowel cancer, but a few plant fibers that contain lignin or that are fermentable increase cancer. Wheat bran is the only common cereal fiber that’s protective."

Ray Peat: "A high fiber diet also lowers the risk of bowel cancer, and is being used increasingly for preventing and treating conditions such as colitis and diverticulitis."

Ray Peat: “Undigestible fiber, if it isn’t broken down by bowel bacteria, increases fecal bulk, and tends to speed the transit of material through the intestine, just as laxatives do. But some of these “fiber” materials, e.g., lignin, are themselves estrogenic, and other fibers, by promoting bacterial growth, can promote the conversion of harmless substances into toxins and carcinogens. When there is a clear “antiestrogen” effect from dietary fiber, it seems to be the result of accelerated transit through the intestine, speeding elimination and preventing reabsorption of the estrogen which has been excreted in the bile. Laxatives have this same effect on the excretion of estradiol.”
Thank you for writing this up. I've sent it to my husband who has taken up daily oatmeal for the past two years. He says to send him evidence. I do, but he doesn't take it in. Past experience shows that eventually he gets whatever it is.

AnonE

Does anyone have timestamps to particular questions being asked, or wouldn't mind giving a quick summary? I was curious about the following...

"
What is the highest dose of vitamin D3 in international units that one can supplement daily over the long-term (forever), and what would be the benefits to taking a higher dose of D3 daily over the long-term
Are caffeine pills a good alternative to coffee if they are used with plenty of sugar or milk? They are a much cheaper way to reap the powerful benefits of caffeine, and I plan to use them long-term.
"

And also... what are the answers to the Vitamin D3 and E dosages?

Birdie

Really great to know that 1/4 tsp of Progest-E is 100mg of progesterone. Ray gave the example of a man who used 500mg rubbed into his knee and leg for a red and swollen knee. I've been having a flare up of Piriformis muscle spasm with pain down the leg. Unable to walk after sleeping. So, just rubbed 100mg into the muscle and surrounding area.

I've done stretches, saw my chiro for deep tissue work, etc already. Will see if the progesterone makes a huge difference by tomorrow morning.

Birdie

Does anyone have timestamps to particular questions being asked, or wouldn't mind giving a quick summary? I was curious about the following...

"
What is the highest dose of vitamin D3 in international units that one can supplement daily over the long-term (forever), and what would be the benefits to taking a higher dose of D3 daily over the long-term
Are caffeine pills a good alternative to coffee if they are used with plenty of sugar or milk? They are a much cheaper way to reap the powerful benefits of caffeine, and I plan to use them long-term.
"

And also... what are the answers to the Vitamin D3 and E dosages?
1:04 Vitamin D question about high dose: Ray says 5000 IU is the most he'd recommend. Then says some have used 10,000 for rheumatoid arthritis and depression.

Birdie

1:05 Caffeine pills question: Ahh, except you wouldn't be getting the anti-immflamatories and nutrients there are in coffee. Adds more coffee info here too...

AnonE

Thanks man I'd listen myself if I wasn't on a work call haha. Let me know when you hear about vit E!

yerrag

I'm not sure and I could be wrong, but it seems that Ray Peat has gone from all fiber is bad to fiber is bad; even to the point of implying soluble fiber is good.

I think it isn't because he was wrong at the start, but there are simply too many people who just can't get their magnesium stores high enough to bring about daily bowel movement via the autonomic movement of intestinal muscles, called peristaltis. Magnesium is usually lacking in a typical nutrition lifestyle, and therapeutic supplementation to increase it fails to increase magnesium stores because the person is hypothyroid, and magnesium stores will increase only with enough ATP production borne of having a good thyroid.

I think Ray has adapted his stance to the reality (of low magnesium stores that people mostly cannot seem to overcome if aware, and can't if unaware) and began to talk about fiber being beneficial. He probably said all fibers are bad without making the distinction between soluble and insoluble fiber, as to give nuance just gives people reason to take fiber- as people are mostly going to forget to make the distinction between soluble and insoluble fiber, people being people.. He has been this way regarding PUFAs as well, saying all PUFAs are bad - for the same reason.

So, in recent years, Ray has began to say fiber is good, without even clearly saying that he refers to insoluble fiber. He would hint at it, but he won't outright say it. In this sense, he is adding nuance to it. So this makes us have to decode his message.

I would decode it this way: If you can't figure out to increase your magnesium stores, then take fiber to help. But be careful, the fiber can increase bacteria, and can be estrogenic. It's better if you take insoluble fiber, which won't breed bacteria and won't be estrogenic. But if you still have to take soluble fiber, it's still better if only to improve transit times. As long ttransit times will only increase bacterial growth in the gut, and this is estrogenic.

If he doesn't leave the nuances in there, there would be many Peaters sufferng contipation and cascara sagrada sales would skyrocket. But cascara sagrada is a drug, albeit herbal, and isn't something to be taken daily.

Peat understands language very well. He writes and talks in a way that makes you have to think further what he means. He doesn't dole out golden nuggets. You have to mine the gold in it. He is a classical teacher who believes that you learn more when you discover the answer yourself.

Last edited:

gaze

I'm not sure and I could be wrong, but it seems that Ray Peat has gone from all fiber in good is bad to fiber, even soluble fiber, is good.

I think it isn't because he was wrong at the start, but there are simply too many people who just can't get their magnesium stores high enough to bring about daily bowel movement via the autonomic movement of intestinal muscles, called peristaltis. Magnesium is usually lacking in a typical nutrition lifestyle, and therapeutic supplementation to increase it fails to increase magnesium stores because the person is hypothyroid, and magnesium stores will increase only with enough ATP production borne of having a good thyroid.

I think Ray has adapted his stance to the reality (of low magnesium stores that people mostly cannot seem to overcome if aware, and won't if unaware) and began to talk about fiber being beneficial. He probably said all fibers are bad without making the distinction between soluble and insoluble fiber, as to give nuance just gives people reason to take fiber- as people are mostly going to forget to make the distinction between soluble and insoluble fiber, people being people.. He has been this way regarding PUFAs as well, saying all PUFAs are bad - for the same reason.

So, in recent years, Ray has began to say fiber is good, without even clearly that he refers to insoluble fiber. He would hint at it, but he won't outright say it. In this sense, he is adding nuance to it. So this makes us have to decode his message.

I would decode it this way: If you can't figure out to increase your magnesium stores, then take fiber to help. But be careful, the fiber an increase bacteria, and can be estrogenic. It's better if you take insoluble fiber, which won't breed bacteria and won't be estrogenic. But if you still have to take soluble fiber, it's still better if only to improve transit times. As long ttransit times will only increase bacterial growth in the gut, and this is estrogenic.

If he doesn't leave the nuances in there, there would be many Peaters sufferng contipation and cascara sagrada sales would skyrocket. But cascara sagrada is a drug, albeit herbal, and isn't something to be taken daily.

Peat understands language very well. He writes and talks in a way that makes you have to think further what he means. He doesn't dole out golden nuggets. You have to mine the gold in it. He is a classical teacher who believes that you learn more when you discover the answer yourself.
which magnesium do you use ?

jomamma007

Really great to know that 1/4 tsp of Progest-E is 100mg of progesterone. Ray gave the example of a man who used 500mg rubbed into his knee and leg for a red and swollen knee. I've been having a flare up of Piriformis muscle spasm with pain down the leg. Unable to walk after sleeping. So, just rubbed 100mg into the muscle and surrounding area.

I've done stretches, saw my chiro for deep tissue work, etc already. Will see if the progesterone makes a huge difference by tomorrow morning.
That confused me as a un popped popcorn kernel is 6mg, but 1/4tsp doesn't look like it'd fit 16 popcorn kernels...
Edit: I was able to fit about 14-15 Amish baby white extra small un popped kernels into 1/4tsp…

Last edited:

yerrag

which magnesium do you use ?
I'm taking magnesium acetate, made from mag carb and 20% acetic acid. The acetic acid is antibacterial against a periodontal pathogen called a. actinomycetemcomitans.

Attachments

• Antibacterial_effects_of_various_chemical_agents_o.pdf
    243.1 KB · Views: 18

Birdie

That confused me as a un popped popcorn kernel is 6mg, but 1/4tsp doesn't look like it'd fit 16 popcorn kernels...
Edit: I was able to fit about 14-15 Amish baby white extra small un popped kernels into 1/4tsp…
Guess I missed the popcorn kernel part. But the mail just announced that my Amish kernels have arrived. I think I ordered the bigger white ones. :):

Birdie

From my comment above, I'll just let anyone interested know that the 1/4 teaspoon Progest-E rubbed into my Piriformis and surrounding area didn't seem to improve the spasms/pain.

Birdie

I have a thought on the psyllium. I've noticed that when someone, say a caller on a show, says he's doing something for health, Ray never tells the person to stop. Instead, he might bring in a small nuance. Always encouraging.

livesimply

Does anyone know if there is a written transcript of this interview (7-19-21)? There was a lot of great information an I'd love to be able to READ it over.

Mark2020

I’ve used a ton of psyllium husk fiber in my life. It’s probably one of the most beneficial “supplements” I’ve ever used. I’ve always noticed way more benefits from it than negative effects. It’s surprising to hear Ray recommend it, but based on my long experience with it, also, not surprising.

One thing I can say with certainty is that when my bowels are working properly, I’m in radiant health. When my stools are long, soft, thick, and frequent, my energy is through the roof, mood is fantastic, sleep like a baby, stress is low. And psyllium husk fiber helps regulate the bowels like
Nothing else I’ve ever used.

Mito

The issue with wheat bran I guess would be gluten for people sensitive to it.

He seems to be okay with oat bran at least for a temporary period of time.

Ray on GE#76: ”studies in animals showed that over a long run, you might have to worry about some of the breakdown products of the soluble fibers that can have an estrogenic effect, but in the short run up to a year or so its effect is a matter of the bulk and acceleration of the intestines so it has an anti-estrogenic effect for people who have been reabsorbing the estrogen that their liver tries to excrete.”

Ray on Jodel Fit 7-23-20: “well-cooked oat bran or wheat bran is fine for for getting a temporary cleaning out you just don't want to eat a lot of oat bran every day for 30 years because it does release that mild carcinogen”

Kray

I'm not sure and I could be wrong, but it seems that Ray Peat has gone from all fiber is bad to fiber is bad; even to the point of implying soluble fiber is good.

I think Ray has adapted his stance to the reality (of low magnesium stores that people mostly cannot seem to overcome if aware, and can't if unaware) and began to talk about fiber being beneficial. He probably said all fibers are bad without making the distinction between soluble and insoluble fiber, as to give nuance just gives people reason to take fiber- as people are mostly going to forget to make the distinction between soluble and insoluble fiber, people being people.. He has been this way regarding PUFAs as well, saying all PUFAs are bad - for the same reason.

So, in recent years, Ray has began to say fiber is good, without even clearly saying that he refers to insoluble fiber. He would hint at it, but he won't outright say it. In this sense, he is adding nuance to it. So this makes us have to decode his message.

I would decode it this way: If you can't figure out to increase your magnesium stores, then take fiber to help. But be careful, the fiber can increase bacteria, and can be estrogenic. It's better if you take insoluble fiber, which won't breed bacteria and won't be estrogenic. But if you still have to take soluble fiber, it's still better if only to improve transit times. As long ttransit times will only increase bacterial growth in the gut, and this is estrogenic.

@yerrag- reading this post after some other threads discussing psyllium today (How to Remove Thyroid Nodules). Great insights into Peat's take, thank you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals