Ray Peat Interview July 19, 2021 - One Radio Network

Vileplume

:letsparty

yerrag

Towards the end of the interview, a caller asked about psyllium, and Ray endorsed its use. Whatever happened to it being a bulk-forming fiber and breeding bacteria and all? What has gotten into Ray?

Lejeboca

Towards the end of the interview, a caller asked about psyllium, and Ray endorsed its use. Whatever happened to it being a bulk-forming fiber and breeding bacteria and all? What has gotten into Ray?

I must admit I am skretching my head about this endorsement too. If anyone cares to elaborate, why it may be peaty, I'd appreciate it!

gaze

I must admit I am skretching my head about this endorsement too. If anyone cares to elaborate, why it may be peaty, I'd appreciate it!
anything that can speed up the rate of bowel movements without too many harmful effects can be "peaty". For some people it might be bad, thats why he doesnt usually reccomend it.

Lejeboca

@Lejeboca @yerrag He is referring to the indigestible psyllium husk.

Does such thing exist? I read in wkipedia that it is soluble fiber. Then, I I reckon that its laxative effect is from serotonin produced as a result of LPS due to extra bacteria from the psyllium bulking up. @gaze

I could see that Peat is looking for something like cellulose, which is insoluble, And I agree on this.

gaze

Does such thing exist? I read in wkipedia that it is soluble fiber. Then, I I reckon that its laxative effect is from serotonin produced as a result of LPS due to extra bacteria from the psyllium bulking up. @gaze

I could see that Peat is looking for something like cellulose, which is insoluble, And I agree on this.
bulking up itself doesn't produce serotonin. isn't that the purpose of carrots, to add bulk? the more serotonin inducing aspect would be if it ferments, which it still might if is indeed soluble.

yerrag

bulking up itself doesn't produce serotonin. isn't that the purpose of carrots, to add bulk? the more serotonin inducing aspect would be if it ferments, which it still might if is indeed soluble.
Nol

Carrots have anti-bacterial properties which more than makes up for it being a fiber that frankly I don't know if it's that soluble and if it were the antibacterial properties would still cause bacterial growth from the soluble fiber to be neutralized.

And justifyling psyllium by carrot is a bit of a stretch, dont you think?

Lejeboca

Nol

Carrots have anti-bacterial properties which more than makes up for it being a fiber that frankly I don't know if it's that soluble and if it were the antibacterial properties would still cause bacterial growth from the soluble fiber to be neutralized.

And justifyling psyllium by carrot is a bit of a stretch, dont you think?

Yeah, I recall Peat liking carrots to a bottle brush: Their shredding/grating is recommended to increase the "brush" surface too. They do not rot easily inside, so I suppose they have insoluble fiber mostly.

This "mechanical" action complements/promotes their anti-bacterial effect. (Shall we rename carrots into carryts ? :cool: )

I don't see a connection between carrots and psyllium husk for an action in intestines.

gaze

here's ray saying the bulk forming action of fiber is beneficial
But if you eat fat with a fiber, the fat helps to suppress the bacteria and it can help the fiber persist and go all the way through your intestine. So it can turn what would be a harmful fiber supporting endotoxin, it can turn it into a useful sort of a bowel stimulating bulk-former."
on the other hand, here he is saying psyllium might be carcinogenic
RAY PEAT: Starches and indigestible fibers have been tested on various animals, from horses to rats and practically all of the fibers that are used as food additives carrageenan and guar gum, various other gums, oat bran and even some of the semi-synthetic things, Metamucil, agar and psyllium, all have been identified as carcinogens for the intestine and possibly other organs and getting those out quickly before they support bacterial growth...
another one saying bulk is good
RAY PEAT: No, cellulose is a very harmless fiber because bacteria generally can't break it down. Only a few types of bacteria can attack cellulose so it passes through just as bulky fiber.

Birdie

RAY PEAT: Starches and indigestible fibers have been tested on various animals, from horses to rats and practically all of the fibers that are used as food additives carrageenan and guar gum, various other gums, oat bran and even some of the semi-synthetic things, Metamucil, agar and psyllium, all have been identified as carcinogens for the intestine and possibly other organs and getting those out quickly before they support bacterial growth...

Sounds like he says it's important to get those things out quickly before bacteria begin to grow.

Birdie

I'm listening now and finally understand why I had a small seizure once long ago on the exam table in my doctor's office. The estrogen was high. Since then have, occasionally, felt one coming on. So this is probably a sign that the estrogen is too high at those times.

It is so interesting to hear him explain why levels of estrogen are different in the blood vs body tissue, in such a way that you can see clearly why measuring the blood levels isn't as helpful as assumed.

boris

@gaze @Lejeboca @yerrag Peat is referring to the psyllium husk only, the outer shell, when he recommends it for peristalsis, not the whole psyllium seed. He also sometimes recommends oat bran to people. These things have a little starch left on them, but you can wash some of it off.