Peat Interview Jan. 24, 2019 On One Radio Network

Ella

Forum Supporter
@Lejeboca many thanks for alerting us to this interview. Excellent, covered many of the basics and invaluable to anyone new to Dr Peat's teachings.

Is it just me who found Trimpone refer to Ray as Mr Peat a tad irritating? The Murrays are always respectful, as they always refer to him as Dr Peat. I think calling him Ray makes the interview more intimate and relaxed as demonstrated by Angstrom's admiration for Ray's work. Must have something to do with Trimpone's low pulse rate and high adrenaline state.

I need to listen again as I have not been able to listen uninterrupted. Interesting about the longevity of salmon compared to cod or orange roughy.

Did Peat say eggs were more saturated in days of old and feeding rabbit to chickens will help to increase % of saturated fat in eggs? Did I just make this up? This is why I need to listen again. I feed my chooks prawn heads, lamb and beef - very expensive but rabbits are monogastric and eat vegetables, leafy greens and hay. Fruit should very little.

So how do we get more saturated fats in the eggs? I think I must have imagined this. The only way to get more saturated fat would be to feed rabbits more fruit but it is not recommended. Fruit should be kept to a minimum because of the SUGAR!! Chickens are like rabbits - monogastric, so are pigs and humans but they can eat loads of fruit. Why is it different with rabbits that we need to minimise fruit in their diet? Is this another furphy?

I sincerely hope so. I doubt I'd get RSPCA's tick of approval though :) Now that I can comfortable kill chickens, I am going to have to get comfortable sending rabbits to heaven :( I think it is easier for me to send animal righters to heaven and feed them to my chickens than rabbits.

Sorry McDougall, I love and adore you but I want the same rights as a cod or orange roughy when it comes to longevity.

JayDee

Is it just me who found Trimpone refer to Ray as Mr Peat a tad irritating? The Murrays are always respectful, as they always refer to him as Dr Peat.
Mister Timpone has a handful of idiosyncracies that you could call weird, yes :) OTOH, in ways he is the Ray Peat of health radio whith thousands of free shows, and generally seems in great health himself (age 72). My hat is off to him but I do agree he should have asked, "Can I call you Ray?" But in general, he performed well above average here.

KMUD has great shows, but also shows where Andrew has to show off his knowledge or adds on information. This is not always uninteresting, but it does take away much of Ray's time and could be considered unrespectful.

kondevantoni

Interestingly nobody mentioned Dr. Peat's comment about after 20 years or so of carrot eating, he mentioned he apparently has bacteria that eats it....WHAT!? :jawdrop:
Probably that`s the reason why he switched to boiled mushrooms, but then after another 20 years mushroom fiber munching bacteria appears in one`s gut, then WHAT!!!

Lynne

Interestingly nobody mentioned Dr. Peat's comment about after 20 years or so of carrot eating, he mentioned he apparently has bacteria that eats it....WHAT!? :jawdrop:

Yeah, I wondered about that too. I Assumed he meant that the fibre doesn't work as it should now because this bacteria digest it... Do you know @haidut?

Ella

Forum Supporter
Mister Timpone has a handful of idiosyncracies that you could call weird, yes :)

Lol, true makes one wonder how all that sulphur is influencing his metabolic rate? Still I'm grateful to both the Murray's and Trimpone for providing these interviews for free. I hope Ray is being appropriately enumerated.

@kondevantoni and @Lynne remember Pasteur's words on his deathbed, "Bernard was right; the pathogen is nothing; the terrain is everything" or "Your are what you eat",

Bacteria are incredibly adaptable as they easily take on genes from other species in order to survive their environment. This is why we have a huge problem with antibiotic resistant species in hospital settings and the wider community. Their ability to adapt is remarkable; they survive and thrive in the most hostile and toxic environments. This is why they are so invaluable in cleaning up toxic waste.

You need to be one step ahead of them all the time. This is why constipation must be avoided. I'm a big fan of eating seasonally, this way we avoid building up huge populations of specific species and change the fibre and food source routinely. Healthy soils are important. Eating fad diets and processed foods are prone to foster specific species and make useful ones extinct. There is much talk about extinct species never coming back again - I don't believe this to be so. If you do composting you will understand how certain species are promoted and others eradicated by providing particular foods and scraps and avoiding others. Provide the preferred substrate and they will come. How did they get to inhabit the gut in the first place?

This is why Peat advocates eating carrots away from other foods and sure if you eat carrots long enough you will get adaptation. We can't get too complacent as these bugs are focused non-stop in outsmarting us 24/7, while we remain completely ignorant of the fight for resources between microbes and our cells.

shepherdgirl

Thanks so much @Lejeboca !!

Did Peat say eggs were more saturated in days of old and feeding rabbit to chickens will help to increase % of saturated fat in eggs? Did I just make this up? This is why I need to listen again.
IIRC he said that in Mexico they feed them fruit and tortillas. Since tortillas are made from nixtamalized corn they are much better nutritionally and also lower in toxins.

Ella

Forum Supporter
@shepherdgirl I need to listen again, then I must have imagined the rabbit. Alice in Wonderland :)

This is what I feed my chickens but I don't give the nixtamilized corn as tortillas; an extra step I could well do without - just nixtamilized to release the niacin.

Feeding rabbits more fruit at the rate you can feed chooks and pigs has got me curiouser and curiouser. I need to dig into the research or feed rabbits a diet of fruit and nixtamilized corn and see how they fare.

Lynne

Lol, true makes one wonder how all that sulphur is influencing his metabolic rate? Still I'm grateful to both the Murray's and Trimpone for providing these interviews for free. I hope Ray is being appropriately enumerated.

@kondevantoni and @Lynne remember Pasteur's words on his deathbed, "Bernard was right; the pathogen is nothing; the terrain is everything" or "Your are what you eat",

Bacteria are incredibly adaptable as they easily take on genes from other species in order to survive their environment. This is why we have a huge problem with antibiotic resistant species in hospital settings and the wider community. Their ability to adapt is remarkable; they survive and thrive in the most hostile and toxic environments. This is why they are so invaluable in cleaning up toxic waste.

You need to be one step ahead of them all the time. This is why constipation must be avoided. I'm a big fan of eating seasonally, this way we avoid building up huge populations of specific species and change the fibre and food source routinely. Healthy soils are important. Eating fad diets and processed foods are prone to foster specific species and make useful ones extinct. There is much talk about extinct species never coming back again - I don't believe this to be so. If you do composting you will understand how certain species are promoted and others eradicated by providing particular foods and scraps and avoiding others. Provide the preferred substrate and they will come. How did they get to inhabit the gut in the first place?

This is why Peat advocates eating carrots away from other foods and sure if you eat carrots long enough you will get adaptation. We can't get too complacent as these bugs are focused non-stop in outsmarting us 24/7, while we remain completely ignorant of the fight for resources between microbes and our cells.

Yeah, I assumed that would be how he meant it but It would've been good to hear him elaborate :):

Ella

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I assumed that would be how he meant it but It would've been good to hear him elaborate :):

Peat is first and foremost a teacher. He plants the seeds and then assumes the student will put some effort in exploring the ideas, experimenting, making mistakes and learning from those mistakes and refining their knowledge.

Unfortunately, our educational institutions stifle the learning and creativity process resulting in a dumbed-down population who treat knowledge as a commodity. If Peat had elaborated, thinking processes are diminished and you would not be forced to think at that deeper level. Those seeds start to sprout when we are forced to think deeper, enhancing our ability to problem-solve and find solutions. This does not happen when hand fed.

"Perceive Think Act"

Lynne

Peat is first and foremost a teacher. He plants the seeds and then assumes the student will put some effort in exploring the ideas, experimenting, making mistakes and learning from those mistakes and refining their knowledge.

Unfortunately, our educational institutions stifle the learning and creativity process resulting in a dumbed-down population who treat knowledge as a commodity. If Peat had elaborated, thinking processes are diminished and you would not be forced to think at that deeper level. Those seeds start to sprout when we are forced to think deeper, enhancing our ability to problem-solve and find solutions. This does not happen when hand fed.

"Perceive Think Act"

Could you be any more condescending @Ella.
Don't assume that just because someone is relatively new on the forum that they don't know anything about Ray Peat. I've been following his work for 6 years.
And as it happens, I was thinking, which is how I came to the assumption I stated in the beginning. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy hearing him explain things in more depth. He often elaborates, and would've done if Patrick had asked him to, and didn't likely because it was tangental to what they were discussing at that point.

Regina

"Perceive Think Act"
Great comments Ella.
We have to be sensitive ("sensor-tive") to our constantly changing conditions. I guess Dr Peat could tell from his stool that there were no carrot bits. So cool.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Could you be any more condescending @Ella.
Don't assume that just because someone is relatively new on the forum that they don't know anything about Ray Peat. I've been following his work for 6 years.
And as it happens, I was thinking, which is how I came to the assumption I stated in the beginning. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy hearing him explain things in more depth. He often elaborates, and would've done if Patrick had asked him to, and didn't likely because it was tangental to what they were discussing at that point.

@Lynne, apologies if you thought I was being condescending. It was never my intention. I was really pissed at myself in not exploring the use of rabbit meat for my chickens. It never occurred to me that perhaps rabbits could be fed like chickens. Should I rely on Ray's opinion or should I be pro-active and endeavour to find out for myself? Even if I did ask Ray, the experience of finding out for myself would provide me with a richer knowledge base and open the mind to further possibilities.

If Australia goes into recession; we may very well have to resort to raising backyard rabbits (that is if you still have a backyard) to keep food on the table. However, not many will, as they are more inclined to put their hands out to government to feed them. We are in drought, our fishes are dying, no pasture and water for grazing animals. The prices for hay have sky rocketed and its quality is suspect. Crops have failed and turned into sillage. Forget stockpiling grain as there won't be enough to go around. Government can't make it rain; the desalination plant is too expensive to run and our electricity supply goes into meltdown due to a few hot days. Expect food prices to skyrocket. Poor problem-solving, lazy thinking, lack of creativity and self-interest are a direct result of all these issues. I for one am not prepared to go hungry or rely on substandard nutrition for my family. My response was penned in context of all these factors and not as an attack towards any individual.

Best,

Lynne

@Lynne, apologies if you thought I was being condescending. It was never my intention. I was really pissed at myself in not exploring the use of rabbit meat for my chickens. It never occurred to me that perhaps rabbits could be fed like chickens. Should I rely on Ray's opinion or should I be pro-active and endeavour to find out for myself? Even if I did ask Ray, the experience of finding out for myself would provide me with a richer knowledge base and open the mind to further possibilities.

If Australia goes into recession; we may very well have to resort to raising backyard rabbits (that is if you still have a backyard) to keep food on the table. However, not many will, as they are more inclined to put their hands out to government to feed them. We are in drought, our fishes are dying, no pasture and water for grazing animals. The prices for hay have sky rocketed and its quality is suspect. Crops have failed and turned into sillage. Forget stockpiling grain as there won't be enough to go around. Government can't make it rain; the desalination plant is too expensive to run and our electricity supply goes into meltdown due to a few hot days. Expect food prices to skyrocket. Poor problem-solving, lazy thinking, lack of creativity and self-interest are a direct result of all these issues. I for one am not prepared to go hungry or rely on substandard nutrition for my family. My response was penned in context of all these factors and not as an attack towards any individual.

Best,

:thumbsup:

Ella

Forum Supporter
Great comments Ella.
We have to be sensitive ("sensor-tive") to our constantly changing conditions. I guess Dr Peat could tell from his stool that there were no carrot bits. So cool.

"Sensor-tive" love it @Regina; just like our cells. Unfortunately, many "sensor-tive" abilities; either suppressed or harnessed for nefarious means. For example psychopaths/sociopaths possess advanced "sensor-tive" abilities which they use to hurt and torture fellow humans, manipulating and adapting to the changing conditions and environment. They are synonymous to pathogenic bugs. No solutions - only eradication as far as I'm concerned and I did not start out thinking this way. Always believed in rehabilitation. No more. Ray talks about improving the nutrition and I agree if we are talking about drug addicts and certain types of criminals but for the serious ones; they are so badly damaged that there is no fixing. I see eradication as the only solution as the cost and carnage they inflict on their victims and wider society too great.

As babies we start out as "sensor-tives" but dependent on others to change the conditions, then discouraged by society and the educational system. When all the sensors are knocked out and jammed, the individual and population are easier to control.

So a possible solution in keeping psychopaths/sociopaths in line would be to knock out their sensors. If anyone knows how to do this, please me know. It would be a great service to humanity and will find funding for it. I would appreciate if anyone has insight into this area. I am not interested in rehabilitation because these individuals are beyond this possibility.

Peat is one cool dude :) I'd love stool science experiments for young school children exploring their gut microbes and relating them to the food they eat. It would be really fun and educational but imagine a nightmare their teachers. At a research level you need ethics approval for stool, so it would never be allowed in the classroom. I had my children when little, culturing bugs growing in their bedrooms, toilet, pond water and the local river. As adults they have a keen interest in what they are poohing. Lots of interesting dinner table conversation.

Regina

"Sensor-tive" love it @Regina; just like our cells. Unfortunately, many "sensor-tive" abilities; either suppressed or harnessed for nefarious means. For example psychopaths/sociopaths possess advanced "sensor-tive" abilities which they use to hurt and torture fellow humans, manipulating and adapting to the changing conditions and environment. They are synonymous to pathogenic bugs. No solutions - only eradication as far as I'm concerned and I did not start out thinking this way. Always believed in rehabilitation. No more. Ray talks about improving the nutrition and I agree if we are talking about drug addicts and certain types of criminals but for the serious ones; they are so badly damaged that there is no fixing. I see eradication as the only solution as the cost and carnage they inflict on their victims and wider society too great.

As babies we start out as "sensor-tives" but dependent on others to change the conditions, then discouraged by society and the educational system. When all the sensors are knocked out and jammed, the individual and population are easier to control.

So a possible solution in keeping psychopaths/sociopaths in line would be to knock out their sensors. If anyone knows how to do this, please me know. It would be a great service to humanity and will find funding for it. I would appreciate if anyone has insight into this area. I am not interested in rehabilitation because these individuals are beyond this possibility.

Peat is one cool dude :) I'd love stool science experiments for young school children exploring their gut microbes and relating them to the food they eat. It would be really fun and educational but imagine a nightmare their teachers. At a research level you need ethics approval for stool, so it would never be allowed in the classroom. I had my children when little, culturing bugs growing in their bedrooms, toilet, pond water and the local river. As adults they have a keen interest in what they are poohing. Lots of interesting dinner table conversation.
Great stuff Ella.
I'm not quite to the point of eradication of psychos (but darn close ;-) ). I do want to eradicate them from my life (recognize it and disengage) ala Jackson Mackenzie's book Psychopath Free.
Did you see haidut's post regarding dementia?
Psychological distress is a risk factor for dementia

I think these damaged people are so de-moralized. Insidiously dangerous, yes. But if enough people are aware and inwardly guided, there is the possibility of a quorum where the psychopath cannot blend in and thrive. (wishful thinking? :bucktooth:)
But yeah, strong inner guidance systems are so discouraged by society and the educational system. :banghead:

Orome

Forum Supporter
This was truly a great interview - many thanks for posting this! Will definitely re-listen soon.
Have to say that I like this format with questions sent by email much better. It didn't soak up so much of the precious time of Dr. Peat. He was speaking much more, no callers getting lost, no "Caller from New York", no "Lady from Garberville" (KMUD listeners know what I am talking about :smirk:) etc.

cyclops

3 interesting things he said I found interesting:

-If avocado oil comes from seed its better because it's mostly saturated. I would have figured the seed is the worst part.

-He fries chicken wings in coconut oil. Surprised he eats chicken wings because I would think they are especially fatty with PUFA.

-He would like to use Pregnenolone, but says he doesn't know of any product that is probably not contaminated with Estrogen. I wonder if he knows about the idealabs and healthnatura products or feels they are not good either.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I wondered about that too. I Assumed he meant that the fibre doesn't work as it should now because this bacteria digest it... Do you know @haidut?

I have not listened to the show. What was his comment on carrot exactly? What bacteria eats it?

J

jb116

I have not listened to the show. What was his comment on carrot exactly? What bacteria eats it?
That's the quandary there, he didn't expand on that. He just said that he basically stopped with the carrot because it would feed a bacteria. o_O

Lynne

Yeah, like jb116 said. Just that raw carrot used to work for him as good fibre but that from many years of eating it he's acquired bacteria that also eats it. Unfortunately Patrick didn't pick up on it and continued with the train of thought they'd been following.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals