One Radio Network - September 17, 2019 - Dr Ray Peat PhD - Fascinating Insights Into Mr. Thyroid

Inaut

Dr. Ray Peat, Ph.D - Fascinating Insights Into Mr. Thyroid and Lots More - September 17, 2019 - One Radio Network

Dr. Peat gives us a unique education on some little know, until now, facts about the thyroid and its relationship to digestion, hormones, pulse rate, and body temperature

We talk about the benefits of retaining more CO2 in our body with slower breathing and other methods

And then we adventure into “Got Milk”, share some of the Ayurveda poetic and magical aspects of milk. Ayurveda believes milk, prepared properly is one of the best possible foods to consume ever.

We talk about A-1 and A-2 milk, boiling the milk and adding spices for better digestion

Dr. Peat talks about the benefits of taking baking soda three times per day

Learn clear, concise ways to measure your thyroid function without lab tests

There’s a way to gently take thyroid med slowly and gently to help your thyroid accept the piggy thyroid

PUFA’s appear to have a true detrimental affects on Mr. Thyroid

Hear Dr. Peat’s take on Iodine supplementation

Shock and trauma is said to oftentimes be a catalyst for beginning of chronic “diseases”

Dr. Ray Peat likes Cod as a fish source also shrimp and oysters

Magnesium plays a critical role in all bodily function

What is the best way to eat sprouts?

What is Dr. Peat’s take and analysis on Gluten

Some emails:

Last month Dr. Peat talked about how protein powders, except for gelatin, contain some toxic amino acids and effects. Please ask Dr. Peat whether hydrolyzed collagen powder is as effective as gelatin powder for protein, and whether it has toxic effects.

Do you think fluoride and chlorine in our water and bromide in our bread are having major effects on our thyroids?
I have been told that when a person has Hashimotos, or other auto immune issues they should not use the natural desiccated thyroid medications such as Armour or Naturethroid because the body will attack these because they are natural? The body supposedly does not attack the synthetic medications like Synthroid. I prefer not to use the synthetic.
What is your view on this?

Which is more effective? Eating a whole orange, drinking its juice, or eating marmalade?

Many Catholic monks lived past 100 on nothing but bread and water. Did their lack of movement conserve carbon dioxide?

Amazoniac

- 16:35 (pt. 1)
- Do you do any kind of exercise regularly?
- No, just every 10 years.. I would test myself.

tenor.gif
81Ld4Cf7mPL._SY450_.jpg

- 23:35 (pt. 2)

Will is apply to ascorbic acid supplements?​

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Beet sugar.

lampofred

Do you do any exercise?
RP: "10 1-leg squats every 10 years" :lol::lol::lol:

He said sit-ups but I'm assuming he meant squats, since he was talking about leg muscles and mentioned "one-legged"

Lejeboca

Do you do any exercise?
RP: "10 1-leg squats every 10 years" :lol:

Indeed!

I also liked his way of having red light at night without bothering the eyes:
Wrap around the leg a strip of red LEDs (!)

Gotta try this, especially in my travel kit :):

OP
Inaut

Inaut

I laughed at the bus stop (waiting to go to work) when I heard his exercise routine. Ray Peat is a unique individual :) :)

rei

Good interview, the only thing that bothered me was his continued insistence on thyroid damage from even low milligram iodine doses. I think this has been shown false empirically with the iodine protocol, the damage would come from thyroid inflammation from lacking cofactors for the high function rate when "excess" iodine is available. Maybe he is just overly cautious because there is a very real risk of damage if done irresponsibly and he just maintains that thyroid supplement is the right tool to accelerate thyroid hormone function safely?

And maybe some of the issue is in the form of iodine. Does it have iodide etc.

Hugh Johnson

I was never convinced with his argument about iodine. It focuses on the thyroid, but iodine has plenty of other uses in the body. We are also poisoned with halides and iodine seems protective in this context, even if we account for increases in thyroid cancer.

I am not confident enough to recommend it to the general population, but I use iodine and it appears to be working for now.

BigChad

Good interview, the only thing that bothered me was his continued insistence on thyroid damage from even low milligram iodine doses. I think this has been shown false empirically with the iodine protocol, the damage would come from thyroid inflammation from lacking cofactors for the high function rate when "excess" iodine is available. Maybe he is just overly cautious because there is a very real risk of damage if done irresponsibly and he just maintains that thyroid supplement is the right tool to accelerate thyroid hormone function safely?

And maybe some of the issue is in the form of iodine. Does it have iodide etc.

What are the co factors. I took 3mg once a week with selenium and got full blown hypothyroidism and hashimotos in 6 weeks

rei

What are the co factors. I took 3mg once a week with selenium and got full blown hypothyroidism and hashimotos in 6 weeks
  • Selenium: 200-400 mcg per day
  • Magnesium: 400-1200 mg per day
  • Vitamin C: 3,000-10,000 mg per day
  • Vitamins B2/B3 (ATP CoFactors): 100mg riboflavin and 500 mg no flush niacin, inositol hexanicotinate form, 1-2x per day
  • Unrefined Salt (Celtic): 1/2 tsp. or more per day
also i recall hearing the selenium must be selenomethionine to offer proper protection.

Your reaction seems unique since i have never heard problems at such miniscule amounts. Even RP says it takes a long time to build up to toxic levels. Maybe you had severe halide poisoning and the massive occasional displacement of those got them moving and ending up in the thyroid instead of being eliminated?

Last edited:

BigChad

Can someone make a file to download. That would be really appreciated.
On the link there is a download option

• Selenium: 200-400 mcg per day
  • Magnesium: 400-1200 mg per day
  • Vitamin C: 3,000-10,000 mg per day
  • Vitamins B2/B3 (ATP CoFactors): 100mg riboflavin and 500 mg no flush niacin, inositol hexanicotinate form, 1-2x per day
  • Unrefined Salt (Celtic): 1/2 tsp. or more per day
also i recall hearing the selenium must be selenomethionine to offer proper protection.

Your reaction seems unique since i have never heard problems at such miniscule amounts. Even RP says it takes a long time to build up to toxic levels. Maybe you had severe halide poisoning and the massive occasional displacement of those got them moving and ending up in the thyroid instead of being eliminated?

I did have mild hypo symptoms due to copper iron deficiency.
Chlorine bromine were low to zero however i was drinking tap water daily for years. So fluoride. Each thyroid lobe was 5.4cm in January. Used iodine 6 weeks, 3mg once a week from February through March.

In August, thyroid lobe was 4.8cm other lobe was 4.4cm. So 4 months after stopping iodine it was shrunk pretty bad around 20%.

Ray in the link here said even twice the rda can cause thyroiditis and thyroid cancer.
I used 100mcg selenium glycinate and 70 sodium selenite, 20mg b vitamins, 1200mg vitamin c alongside the potassium iodide.

What benefits have you noted from the iodine. Does it cause fat burning or improvement in anything.
Those cofactors in those amounts slow thyroid function. Like too much selenium slows thyroid. Niacin clears thyroid hormones from blood.

I also got a strong burning sensation in the thyroid after the iodine. As well as high prolactin, receding hairline , balls shrunk over 40%, significant fatigue, nipple enlargement. Thyroid antibodies were still elevated in August.
Have you done thyroid ultrasounds before and after? Iodine is known to inflame the thyroid. Selenium prevents that to an extent, as well as goitrogens and soy it seems. The high iodine cultures consume lots of soy and seaweed itself has thyroid limiting compounds.

Anyway im in like a permanent hypothyroid state since the iodine shenanigans. Any ideas on how to cure and resolve what happened? What Ray said about iodine seems right on

rei

After the first dose of 6 drop (6*6.5mg) i got a slight burn/ache in thyroid on both sides. My body got warm and it felt good. The thyroid sensation went away in a few hours and did not reoccur even with the 6 drop dose for 5 more days. I did this a few times, and then started tapering down as the noticeable effect diminished. I only took LE's multivitamin as precaution, dumb maybe but i was being very careful to stop at any worrying signs. Nowadays i take it very seldom in much smaller dose, 1 drop lugols.

Maybe your problem was the form potassium iodide, i have read many arguments why a mixture like lugol's is preferable and safer.

My only suggestion for recovery is to supplement thyroid, Ray has said many times it can cure a malfunctioning thyroid in some cases.

I did have to set up a soundcloud account and then downloaded the two parts. They are extremely good. Patrick Timpone is very good at interviewing Dr. Peat and this contains some really interesting points.

J

jb116

Why did you have to create an account? The download button is right on the player. Down arrow with a line.

Mito

- 16:35 (pt. 1)
- Do you do any kind of exercise regularly?
- No, just every 10 years.. I would test myself.

“One of the things that has been a general problem is the physical inactivity. Like people who live in apartments have to take their dogs out for a walk every day because the digestive system tends to slow down when you aren’t walking. There are reflexes between especially the legs and the intestine and in general physical inactivity affects the whole process of appetite and digestion and elimination.” - RP

Amazoniac

“One of the things that has been a general problem is the physical inactivity. Like people who live in apartments have to take their dogs out for a walk every day because the digestive system tends to slow down when you aren’t walking. There are reflexes between especially the legs and the intestine and in general physical inactivity affects the whole process of appetite and digestion and elimination.” - RP

I listened to it a few days ago, but it's useful for you to share because there will be members using him as model/Janelle. He has mentioned before being 'extremely sedentary' throughout life (or something along these lines), and it can lead to overlookment on how much 'non-exercise physical activity' he actually engages on a baily dasis.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals