December 17, 2019 - One Radio Network

postman

That's how soap is made.

I don't know which masa harina products you've seen, or how they are manufactured, but they may not list the nutritional information accurately (it may reflect the whole corn pre-alkali treatment) or they may not produce the product in an ideal way (they speed it up, for example, to produce flour more quickly). The amount of saponification that takes place depends on the amount of lime or lye that is used, how long the solution is cooked and the amount of time the corn is left to steep. Something that the researchers who study the effects of nixtamalization may not take into consideration is the type of corn used. Different varieties have different characteristics that will affect the process, like the hardness of the endosperm. Dent corn, which is a more modern variety, would need to steep longer than something like one of the traditional flint corn varieties. I am guessing most companies that manufacture masa harina flour would use some variety of dent corn as it is more common and cheaper. Dent corn would not have been used traditionally as it was only 'invented' in the mid 1800's whereas flint varieties have been around for 1000's of years.

Interestingly calcium prevents the formation of acrylamide, so if the flour is made in such a way as to provide a high calcium content then tortilla chips made from this flour would contain significantly less acrylamide than tortilla chips made from a low calcium flour.
So what's the real level of fat content of masa harina you can buy? Without that knowledge this is relatively meaningless, unless you make your own masa harina, which I don't think a lot of people do.

schultz

I am not sure. The label could be accurate. I guess the only way to know would be to ask the specific company that makes the flour how they process the corn and whether the nutritional information is based on the final product or not. I wonder if any of the fat left in the flour is saponified or not? I imagine though that you'd taste that in the flour. Or maybe not? Maybe it's too little to taste? Ray would probably know.

Yah, really the best way is to make it yourself. You'd have to really love masa, or really love cooking. I enjoy both and have always wanted to try making it myself, but have not got around to it yet. Maybe I'll do it and post the process in a new thread, including measurements, timing and all that based on studies and optimal nutrition + workability of the dough. Should be fun! My kids will probably enjoy it too.

Oraganic4me

I was really intrigued when Dr Peat said
1. lower end hemoglobin score was best mine is 11
2. Transferrin Saturation best below 30 mine is 37

I was diagnosed Anemic however my Ferritin was high .. which I researched on my own and concluded I have anemia of chronic disease... after reading a few of you alls posts I learned to try turmeric.. I started taking turmeric for 1 year and my Ferritin dropped from 229 to today 149 just from turmeric mentioned here by someone can’t remember who maybe Burt Lancaster.. not sure but the thing they said is maybe turmeric helps with chronic illness because it chelates iron... great advice who ever you are ... you guys are amazing

Lejeboca

I can relate lower metabolism to lower breathing rate, as less oxygen is needed with lower metabolism. But I can't relate higher efficiency to lower breathing rate, as, as I understand it, higher tissue oxygenation is needed to prevent lactic acid buildup due to anaerobic glycolysis. There is a need for higher breathing rate- to keep oxygen supply sufficient to prevent lactic acid buildup.

Here is my non-expert take:

The faster one breathes, the more one hyperventilates. Then, more oxygen is not delivered (used) to the tissues, the extra (and more) goes right out.
Higher efficiency (e.g., as endurance) comes with higher CO2 content. Hence, Ray recommends baking soda to athletes specifically for higher endurance. One way to achieve higher CO2 is by slow (also bag) breathing, at lower altitudes.
On the other hand, if one's metabolism is already high, then, indeed, bag breathing or "control" pause are not recommended.
Under normal-health circumstances, anaerobic glycolysis, leading to a lactic acid build-up, comes from inability of muscles use oxygen (at a higher rate).

pauljacob

Listening to Dr. Peat is like listening to a badly scratched old gramophone record with a blunt needle. After ten minutes I'm completely exhausted. Is there a transcript of this interview, or all of his interviews?

Kartoffel

Listening to Dr. Peat is like listening to a badly scratched old gramophone record with a blunt needle. After ten minutes I'm completely exhausted. Is there a transcript of this interview, or all of his interviews?

Yeah, you can get it here.

yerrag

The faster one breathes, the more one hyperventilates.
If one is using up oxygen quickly because of high tissue oxygenation and high oxidative metabolism, he will need a faster replenishment of oxygen, and naturally his breathing rate will increase. This is not to be mistaken as hyperventilation.

Geo

I was also surprised to hear tortillas for a chosen food although I have listened to the KMUD episode where he explains the whole procedure of turning the corn into a nutritious food. . I have also desperately tried to find masa harina or ready made tortillas of quality but where I live is impossible , here tortillas are made from wheat flour and olive oil, instead I chose to eat my cheese with rice waffles which seem a more innocent choice than bread.

I also remember Ray Peat saying in another interview that you can live solely on milk and eggs,

Don’t forget that Patrick is just a promoter of supplements that I believe RP would consider junk , deer antlers supplement, really?? Hence the sarcastic attitude. Although, RP claims to be not authoritarian, science is and it is on RP’s side,

Finally, in the end RP was not worn out, I have never heard him speaking so sweetly and giving wishes, I enjoyed that human note because it is very rare of him.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Solitude sucks.
Solitude is heaven - a time when missing pieces of your puzzle come together. Answers are fed to us in solitude. To find answers you must remove all the noise.

Patrick is a worry. For all his flaws, I have come to like him and I think the simplicity of his questions helps to reach a wider audience who would be lost in the more "geeky" science.