Ray Peat Interview March 23 2022 - One Radio Network

-Luke-

One Radio Network apparently had some technical problems and didn't record any new podcasts for a few weeks. But they had the strongest comeback since Michael Jordan yesterday with Dr. Peat himself.

If I understood him correctly, he now eats oatmeal (not oat bran) for breakfast. I'm not sure if that was a general statement or related to himself. Experiments with less protein and more carbs.

David PS

Thanks for the link.

Around the 45 minute mark he answers some questions about methylene blue. The dose is the issue.

Dave Clark

Interesting that Peat says that topical progesterone is not absorbed at all unless you use thousands of milligrams... Yet, IdeaLabs says that topical use is better systemically than oral, when it comes to these pre-hormones like DHEA, preg., progest., etc. I am now wondering what the real deal is with 'topical' use, and if it is really a good way to use these. I use Pansterone topically, and now wondering if I am really getting anything out of it, based on his assertion of topical. Or....is that just specific to progesterone, I hear both sides. Where are the studies?

Korven

I think it's awesome how Ray at 86 years age is still experimenting. Did he say that the low protein diet was good for reducing cortisol and it made him "livelier"? He sounded very good on this podcast... I also want to try out the low protein diet now!

What are you supposed to eat though? A plate of steamed potatoes with nothing else?

I am eating a big bowl of oatmeal with milk and honey every morning now so I got that meal covered.

Korven

Interesting that Peat says that topical progesterone is not absorbed at all unless you use thousands of milligrams... Yet, IdeaLabs says that topical use is better systemically than oral, when it comes to these pre-hormones like DHEA, preg., progest., etc. I am now wondering what the real deal is with 'topical' use, and if it is really a good way to use these. I use Pansterone topically, and now wondering if I am really getting anything out of it, based on his assertion of topical. Or....is that just specific to progesterone, I hear both sides. Where are the studies?

It could be that the solvents used in idealabs products, i.e saturated fatty acid esters, increase topical absorption. I know several people here that have used Pansterone and pushed their T really high. And personally I always feel like Pansterone applied on the skin does "something" however I've never gotten labs done to prove anything.

Topical progesterone in alcohol gel also gives me a noticeable 'progesterone high' used in 10-20 mg doses. Or I'm noceboing myself.

Beastmode

I think it's awesome how Ray at 86 years age is still experimenting. Did he say that the low protein diet was good for reducing cortisol and it made him "livelier"? He sounded very good on this podcast... I also want to try out the low protein diet now!

What are you supposed to eat though? A plate of steamed potatoes with nothing else?

I am eating a big bowl of oatmeal with milk and honey every morning now so I got that meal covered.
A cup of masa harina has 100g of carbs.
OJ has around 26 g of carbs per cup.

Very easy to get carbs in without going the rice, potato, etc route.

Considering that Peat is 86, and is a rare person at that age in good health, I imagine he still gets quite a bit of protein in compared to what most think is ideal. Also, Peat has mentioned that the older one gets, one has to be careful with eating lots of protein.

Korven

A cup of masa harina has 100g of carbs.
OJ has around 26 g of carbs per cup.

Very easy to get carbs in without going the rice, potato, etc route.

Considering that Peat is 86, and is a rare person at that age in good health, I imagine he still gets quite a bit of protein in compared to what most think is ideal. Also, Peat has mentioned that the older one gets, one has to be careful with eating lots of protein.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I guess I am struggling to find some good meal options without the meat protein. I do enjoy making atole with masa harina but it doesn't really feel like a meal to me, more like a snack?

GodsHound

I believe he is referring to micronised progesterone cream, which is micronised progesterone particles suspended in an oil emulsion. This is the most common form of pharmaceutical progesterone cream. He has explained before that when this cream is applied to the skin, only the first layer of micronised particles that are in direct contact with the skin are absorbed. This is different to formulas which actually have the progesterone dissolved in vitamin E, which are much more effective.

Dave Clark

I believe he is referring to micronised progesterone cream, which is micronised progesterone particles suspended in an oil emulsion. This is the most common form of pharmaceutical progesterone cream. He has explained before that when this cream is applied to the skin, only the first layer of micronised particles that are in direct contact with the skin are absorbed. This is different to formulas which actually have the progesterone dissolved in vitamin E, which are much more effective.
Thanks. I was a bit disillusioned by what he said, and wasn't sure if he was referring to 'all' topical progesterone. I don't use these popular progesterone creams, I stick to IdeaLabs products, so that is good to know.

YourUniverse

Peat is like any of us, he gets locked into an idea and is determined to see it through but then goes back on high carb, low protein diets and feels better.... ahh yes, this is what I should feel like. Refreshing. We are human. Looking forward to listening as ever.

Abmartich

Ray Peat said that the soluble fiber in oats caused cancer.

I am noticing Ray Peat contradicts himself on many of his positions. One day he says something and the next day he changes his mind.

Ray said that the red light was very beneficial for health, but in an interview with Danny Roddy he said that it could cause cancer. The same thing happened with Methylene Blue that after having said good things, in other interviews he had said that it is very toxic.

Also Ray Peat said that he had grown taller when he was taking DHEA, but then changed his mind and said it was while he was taking thyroid.
Creo que es increíble cómo Ray, a los 86 años, sigue experimentando. ¿Dijo que la dieta baja en proteínas era buena para reducir el cortisol y lo hacía "más vivo"? Sonó muy bien en este podcast... ¡También quiero probar la dieta baja en proteínas ahora!

¿Qué se supone que debes comer? ¿Un plato de patatas al vapor sin nada más?

Estoy comiendo un tazón grande de avena con leche y miel todas las mañanas ahora, así que tengo esa comida cubierta.

Lilac

This was a good interview. Patrick has such a nice vibe.

I'm going to check out Dr. Bhakti, since Ray has given him a thumbs-up.

Summer

So low methionine and low PUFA will extend lifespan. I wish he gave specifics about his diet. He eats oatmeal and says you need to be getting enough milk in the diet, but since milk has a pretty decent protein content, you’d think it would be moderately high in methionine too. So what quantifies as “enough”?

sunny

What do you think Dr. Peat considers "low protein"? He has often talked about the military study that said even desk job people need a minimum of 100 grams of protein.

Beastmode

Thanks for the suggestions!

I guess I am struggling to find some good meal options without the meat protein. I do enjoy making atole with masa harina but it doesn't really feel like a meal to me, more like a snack?
`1 cup of masa made into a big pizza like shape with an ounce or 2 of good cheese, optional tomato sauce and/or butter and whatever toppings you like is my basic dinner every night and it gets me through the evening. Plus, getting in a good carb meal as dinner might help with sleep.

Bake at 400 for 15 min for a thin, crispy like pizza.

You can always have a glass of milk as well if the meal doesn't feel like enough fat.

YourUniverse

What do you think Dr. Peat considers "low protein"? He has often talked about the military study that said even desk job people need a minimum of 100 grams of protein.
I think he is referencing as low as the Kempner diet-levels of protein, which is just about the lowest levels a person can get in a diet (rice, sugar, and fruit)

GodsHound

I am noticing Ray Peat contradicts himself on many of his positions. One day he says something and the next day he changes his mind.

Ray said that the red light was very beneficial for health, but in an interview with Danny Roddy he said that it could cause cancer. The same thing happened with Methylene Blue that after having said good things, in other interviews he had said that it is very toxic.

Also Ray Peat said that he had grown taller when he was taking DHEA, but then changed his mind and said it was while he was taking thyroid.
Context is important... Ray has said how any mundane substance has infinitely complex influences on the entire body... everything in flux... complete comprehension of all biological interactions would make your brain melt... our consciousness is only a crude approximation of true intelligence... empirical information is necessary... but it's an even cruder approximation of truth... so always context is needed... Ray speaks of how useful antibiotics can be... Ray speaks of how antibiotics can ruin gut flora for life... both approach the same truth, but the truth lies in the context

peateats1

His contradictions are mind blowing at this point. How can anyone trust or believe anything he says? I was of the mindset that starch was literal poison. If you eat it you'll get starch particles lodged in your arteries and if you don't die of cancer you'll have a stroke. Also his 30 cups of coffee comment is dangerous and has always bothered me.
He says progesterone cream is not absorbed and yet I use onas cream and have had a way better reaction to it and it has helped me in numerous ways, in comparison to progest e. Onas has helped lower my blood pressure and heart rate after using a few jars of it topically over the last couple of months. Before that I was using two to three bottles of progest e per week and was feeling nothing from it.
He also says that bacteriophages are safe and they have nearly killed me. I'm 2.5 years out and still trying to recover.