Jordan B Peterson; Anyone Else Following This?

x-ray peat

I've listened to a lot of his stuff and found him to be very interesting. Besides his anti libtard stuff, his personality lectures especially his analysis of the Lion King in terms of universal myths were really good.

Dhair

He regularly mentions that males with high serotonin find it easier to move up dominance hierarchies.
He's pretty interesting, but I always cringe when he says that. In fact, we have several studies posted on the forum that say the exact opposite.

Kyle M

He's great. Can't be right on everything, but would have loved to have a professor of that quality.

Tarmander

Yeah he's wrong about serotonin, however his maps of meaning class has so many gems. It really is fantastic. Each lecture is almost 3 hours, but it is one of the best things I've watched in awhile.

The funny thing is, when he talks about anti depressants, he says they make you more resilient to stress, which is technically true. Serotonin will definitely raise cortisol and make you feel more resilient to stress in the short term.

OP
C

CoconutEffect

He regularly mentions that males with high serotonin find it easier to move up dominance hierarchies.
He's pretty interesting, but I always cringe when he says that. In fact, we have several studies posted on the forum that say the exact opposite.
Same - I've tried turning him onto Ray (Dr. Peterson has been my personal psychologist for the past 2 years) but very quickly gave up . Knowledge doesn't travel up dominance hierarchies, ha!

x-ray peat

Same - I've tried turning him onto Ray (Dr. Peterson has been my personal psychologist for the past 2 years) but very quickly gave up . Knowledge doesn't travel up dominance hierarchies, ha!
cool. How is he in sessions? what is the best thing he said to you. if too personal, i understand.

Tarmander

Holy crap! That is awesome! What is he like? I am going to guess he is actually kind of an ***hole.

OP
C

CoconutEffect

cool. How is he in sessions? what is the best thing he said to you. if too personal, i understand.

Me: (at my wits end with my bipolarity) "If there was only something I can do, doc (morally speaking), or fix, in my life to impove it, to make it better. I listen to your lectures compulsively, I dont even masturbate! I have no vices!"

Dr Peterson: (grinning) "except purity"

x-ray peat

Me: (at my wits end with my bipolarity) "If there was only something I can do, doc (morally speaking), or fix, in my life to impove it, to make it better. I listen to your lectures compulsively, I dont even masturbate! I have no vices!"

Dr Peterson: (grinning) "except purity"
nice. lol. does he just listen to you and let you figure things out on your own or is he more opinionated as in his lectures on what needs to be done.

OP
C

CoconutEffect

Holy crap! That is awesome! What is he like? I am going to guess he is actually kind of an ***hole.
He's an incredible life strategist; in additon to his Rogerian, Jungian, Freudian (etc) tools, he's saved me countless times, dealing with my illness and simultaneously, my very Oedipal family (with many family sessions)
He even helped my twin sister get through a bad breakup. He embodies precisely what he teaches. The real deal. I am very fortunate.

Last edited:
OP
C

CoconutEffect

nice. lol. does he just listen to you and let you figure things out on your own or is he more opinionated as in his lectures on what needs to be done.
We figure things out together. He listens, asks very targeted questions. He makes suggestions, and when they are right on (and they often are), I do what the doctor recommends. (Except when he recommended 5htp a few weeks ago, haha)
Initially he was suspicious that I actually had bipolar disorder as opposed to being a low conscientious, useless 20 something male. That was frustrating but he had good reason to suspect that at the time.

x-ray peat

We figure things out together. He listens, asks very targeted questions. He makes suggestions, and when they are right on (and they often are), I do what the doctor recommends. (Except when he recommended 5htp a few weeks ago, haha)
Initially he was suspicious that I actually had bipolar disorder as opposed to being a low conscientious, useless 20 something male. That was frustrating but he had good reason to believe that at the time.
That was my sense of him as he seems to be so practical as well as super smart. You are very lucky. Best of luck with everything and let him know he has a lot of fans on the RPF.

Tarmander

Initially he was suspicious that I actually had bipolar disorder as opposed to being a low conscientious, useless 20 something male. That was frustrating but he had good reason to suspect that at the time.

Man that is so cool. You are super fortunate. I would love to hear more if you feel like sharing. Just some cool memories or what not. I love the "purity" thing. My younger self can relate. How does he test for conscientiousness ?

Dhair

That's pretty cool.
I wouldn't give up on him though. There are too many psychiatrists/psychologists who don't care about looking into the dangers of SSRIs. In 20 years time maybe they'll realize that they have blood on their hands. He seems like someone who means well so it would be a shame for him to dismiss the info.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals