Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Caused By Histamine And Serotonin

haidut

Forum Supporter
I did not expect to see this statement in a mainstream science news outlet, but here it is below. I am starting to see a change in attitude towards serotonin but mainstream medicine is careful about its game. Somehow, the message about serotonin has now split into two separate, nonsensical ones - i.e. there are somehow two types of serotonin, one produced in the gut and one produced in the brain. The former is bad and its overproduction leads to a number of GI diseases, while the latter is beneficial and is the "happy" hormone we continue to hear about in SSRI drug ads and lecturing by our doctors. This is, of course, complete nonsense. There is only one type of serotonin (5-HT) and more than 90% of it is produced in the GI tract. Despite the claims by doctors that serotonin itself cannot cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB), extensive evidence to the contrary exists (similar to the GABA claims also made by doctors) and that alone invalidates the ludicrous claims above. Well, let's see how long this charade lasts, but the good news is that at least when it comes to GI conditions, the message is now becoming clear that many of them are simply a sign/symptom of serotonin excess, and as such should be curable. Perhaps the most common of those GI disorders is IBS, with an estimated 15%+ of the US population suffering from it. Considering that the study below also implicates histamine in the GI pathologies, it makes drugs like tricyclics, Benadryl, cyproheptadine, and the ergot family of drugs prime candidates for treating those conditions.

Finally, the study also discusses the role steroid hormones play in those pathologies and especially the protective role of androgens. While the study does not go as as far as claiming that estrogen is pathological, the fact that it discusses the higher prevalence of those GI diseases in women and the protective roles of androgens (even in females), with their propensity to block estrogen's effects, should be enough for most readers to draw their own conclusions.

Perinatal androgens organize sex differences in mast cells and attenuate anaphylaxis severity into adulthood
Study connects hormones we're born with to lifetime risk for immunological diseases

"...Published in the most recent edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the study answers questions about why females are at increased risk for common diseases that involve or target the immune system like asthma, allergies, migraines and irritable bowel syndrome. The findings by Adam Moeser, Emily Mackey and Cynthia Jordan also open the door for new therapies and preventatives."

"...Moeser also previously discovered sex differences in mast cells. Female mast cells store and release more inflammatory substances like proteases, histamine and serotonin, compared with males. Thus, female mast cells are more likely than male mast cells to kick-start aggressive immune responses. While this may offer females the upper hand in surviving infections, it also can put females at higher risk for inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. "IBS is an example of this," says Mackey, whose doctoral research is part of this new publication. "While approximately 25% of the U.S. population is affected by IBS, women are up to four times more likely to develop this disease than men."

"...Moeser, Mackey and Jordan's latest research explains why these sex-biased disease patterns are observed in both adults and prepubertal children. They found that lower levels of serum histamine and less-severe anaphylactic responses occur in males because of their naturally higher levels of perinatal androgens, which are specific sex hormones present shortly before and after birth. "Mast cells are created from stem cells in our bone marrow," Moeser said. "High levels of perinatal androgens program the mast cell stem cells to house and release lower levels of inflammatory substances, resulting in a significantly reduced severity of anaphylactic responses in male newborns and adults." "We then confirmed that the androgens played a role by studying males who lack functional androgen receptors," says Jordan, professor of Neuroscience and an expert in the biology of sex differences.

"...While high perinatal androgen levels are specific to males, the researchers found that while in utero, females exposed to male levels of perinatal androgens develop mast cells that behave more like those of males. "For these females, exposure to the perinatal androgens reduced their histamine levels and they also exhibited less-severe anaphylactic responses as adults," says Mackey, who is currently a veterinary medical student at North Carolina State University."

LucyL

This article spawned a drudge report headline today

Local immune response to food antigens drives meal-induced abdominal pain

Here we show that a bacterial infection and bacterial toxins can trigger an immune response that leads to the production of dietary-antigen-specific IgE antibodies in mice, which are limited to the intestine. Following subsequent oral ingestion of the respective dietary antigen, an IgE- and mast-cell-dependent mechanism induced increased visceral pain. This aberrant pain signalling resulted from histamine receptor H1-mediated sensitization of visceral afferents.

Histamine.

tankasnowgod

With both histamine and serotonin implicated, it would make sense that Cyproheptadine would be an excellent double threat for treating said conditions.

I think is the most deatiled testimonial of cypro on the forum-

In particular, this is the line that stuck out for me-

On the digestion, it is robust now like I remember it from being a child, no pain, no tenderness upon palpation on the organs as was previously, no bloating, stomach is flat and no issues with wheat or dairy even mixed together, I can eat a McDonalds meal and am absolutely fine.

Mauritio

"There was an increase in 5-HT in blood of IBS patients, indicating the increased 5-HT in blood may be involved in IBS pathogenesis."

Birdie

As a person with IBS, I can report that

I have been using a half tablet of Benadryl for the past few months.
Also, I've had a carrot many of the days. And cooked chopped mushrooms.

Plenty of salt.

I've been almost symptom free during this time and have had no attacks.

RealNeat

Is it not necessary to also mention chemicals like glyphosate in this equation? I would think a combo of approaches would be necessary to both address the issue and prevent its recurrence. Things like cypro can fix certain aspects but I doubt it can fix the damage caused by pesticides, even if it may be able to diminish the symptoms. Source avoidance would be the solution.

RealNeat

Plenty of salt.

Interesting, Benadryl both tab and liquid have some pretty gross excipients, including PEG, a gut irritant.

Mauritio

Plenty of salt.

Awesome!
I think I read about you using wheat bran ...do you still use it?

InChristAlone

Wheat bran is a IBS trigger for me. Oats too.

Birdie

Maurito - I don't know if it would be a trigger for me but I haven't used it since the 80s.

Birdie

Wheat bran is a IBS trigger for me. Oats too.
How are you doing with it? I'm shocked about mine but figure it could just be coincidence. I just thought of one trigger for me... eating too much at once. But that never stops me if I am doing that. I've been benched for 5 weeks and not very hungry. Maybe not stuffing myself is the real reason for the hiatus. We'll see I guess.

InChristAlone

How are you doing with it? I'm shocked about mine but figure it could just be coincidence. I just thought of one trigger for me... eating too much at once. But that never stops me if I am doing that. I've been benched for 5 weeks and not very hungry. Maybe not stuffing myself is the real reason for the hiatus. We'll see I guess.
I only ever get cramping from whole grains, nut and beans though I can have some nuts and beans without symptoms.

Birdie

I only ever get cramping from whole grains, nut and beans though I can have some nuts and beans without symptoms.
Thanks sugar babe. Popcorn was that way for my symptoms.

aliml

Aqueous cinnamon extract ameliorates bowel dysfunction and enteric 5-HT synthesis in IBS rats​

Highlights
  • Cinnamon extracts ameliorate bowel symptoms in IBS.
  • Cinnamon extracts decrease circulating and enteric 5-HT bioavailability in IBS.
  • Cinnamon extracts downregulate colonic 5-HT synthesis and Tph1 expression in IBS.
  • Cinnamon extract and its bioactive components suppress Tph1 transcriptional activity.
Abstract
Cinnamon protects against irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D) in humans, but its efficacy and underlying mechanism of action remain poorly understood. Maternally separated (MS) IBS-D rat model and 2,4,6-trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid (TNBS)-induced post-inflammatory IBS-D rat model are characterized by visceral hyperalgesia and diarrhea. This study used the two models to evaluate the effect of cinnamon extract (CE) on bowel symptoms. The MS rat model was also used to explore its underlying anti-IBS mechanism. cinnamon extract reduced defecation frequency and visceral hyperalgesia in MS rats in a dose-dependent manner and effectively improved visceral hyperalgesia in TNBS rats. The efficacy of cinnamon extract was comparable to the positive drug serotonin receptor 3 (5-HT3) selective antagonist, Ramosetron. Excessive 5-HT, a well-known pathogenic factor for IBS, in the colon and circulation of IBS rats was reduced after cinnamon extract intervention. Both, gene and protein levels of the colonic 5-HT synthetase, Tryptophan Hydroxylase 1 (Tph1), were also decreased in CE-treated IBS rats. In addition, a luciferase assay revealed that cinnamon extract and its major components, catechin, procyanidin B1/2, cinnamic acid, and cinnamyl alcohol, significantly inhibited Tph1 transcription activity in vitro. These findings illustrated that aqueous cinnamon extract partially attenuated bowel symptoms in IBS models by directly inhibiting Tph1 expression and controlling 5-HT synthesis. This provides a scientific viewpoint for the use of cinnamon as a folk medication to treat IBS.

AmandaWald

Plenty of salt.

That's fantastic news, thanks for sharing! I hope this almost-symptom-free period continues for a long time!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals