Jordan Peterson Endorses Keto Diet

Not sure if this is new or old news but the date is in 2018 for the upload...

We should all just comment ray peat in the comments and see of we can get him to look into it lol

Its important to note that Jordan Peterson is a phycologist, and cant be expected to be able to see past the mainstream views on biology in his current practice. So this doesn't disqualify everything else he says.

It still sucks he endorses anti-depressants which as a phycologist he shouldn't be excused from that.

oh well...

He really is known for is philosophical views not his scientific prowess, to bad this diet takes over yet another popular person.

Ulysses

Based on what he says here and what I've heard him say elsewhere, it sounds like he has multiple food allergies, and is misattributing the improvement in his health to reduced glycemic load, rather than the elimination of allergens. I suppose it's easy to conflate the two, given that the most common sources of carbohydrate in the SAD are also among the most commonly allergenic.

tara

Its important to note that Jordan Peterson is a phycologist, and cant be expected to be able to see past the mainstream views on biology in his current practice. So this doesn't disqualify everything else he says.
I hadn't considered knowledge about seaweed being much transferable to humans.
I do think that might excuse him for not knowing all about the effects of antidepressants etc on humans, though perhaps not of speaking as though he does? :)

Tarmander

"Meat and greens, that seems to have fixed it"

"But she figured it out at one point that it was associated with diet."

"She only ate chicken and brocolli for two months, and all her symptoms went away."

"I was trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my diet"

He had gastric reflux, gum disease, eye floaters, psoriasis...those are all gone. I would guess part of the reason is the spike in cortisol that comes from not eating carbs, along with geting rid of allergens and pufa in processed food.

What I take away from this segment of that interview, is that Peterson would fit right in with Peat and this forum. He is not dogmatic, and is experimenting with different diets, and using results to guide him. Exactly what we do here...He does not know Peat, and like most here at some point, is getting sucked into the meat and veggie hell hole. I did that for two years sadly.

"they are poisoning themselves with carbohydrates, that is what it looks like."

One thing to remember is that most people have this experience, and would say it is true. In all honesty, it DOES look like carbs are poisoning people, and if not for Ray, I would still think this.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
One thing to remember is that most people have this experience, and would say it is true. In all honesty, it DOES look like carbs are poisoning people, and if not for Ray, I would still think this.
Me too. I had great results eating that way until I crashed and crashed hard. I really hope that doesn't happen to Peterson.
ETA: But sadly it probably will.

Spokey

It's interesting that he uses evolutionary arguments to justify ideas about psychology but can't see that humanity has depended on carbohydrate sources to survive throughout history. I'm hard put to think of a single culture that doesn't have some kind of a starchy staple in its cuisine.

i wonder if a lot of people suffer from under eating protein or something, or maybe it is from the lack of sunlight, because one or the other is going to increase estrogen, or lacking B vitamins, or what the actual literal cause is, what the actual diet thing is missing, because that's when you start eating carbs or anything, all these problems start coming up

it's not really carbs causing the problems, i think it is half not enough protein half not enough B vitamins, i'm not sure, but sugar isn't the problem

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Tarmander

I saw that. :(
Apparently he started eating liver at some point in the last year too.
I now suspect part of my problem on paleo was tons of oxalate.
I didnt know that about the liver.

How do you react to K2?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Tarmander, his daughter said her really likes liver too. She was eating 1-1.5 pounds per week but I don’t know about how much he has been eating.

Tarmander

Seems fine but I only take 1 mg a few times per week. How about you?
At higher dosages my pee burned, which I figured was oxalate dumping. I would thing taking vit K2 would be a good gauge of oxalate concentration.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
At higher dosages my pee burned, which I figured was oxalate dumping. I would thing taking vit K2 would be a good gauge of oxalate concentration.
Sorry to hear that but it is good to know there could be issues with higher doses of K. I’m pretty conservative with the fat soluble vitamins these days after the whole A thing. I’m still very concerned with maintaining my bone density though so certain choices I’ve made for that reason alone honestly.

How could a non scientist learn more about the K/oxalate connection?

Soren

Forum Supporter
Feel bad for Jordan Peterson. I wish someone could get to him somehow and let him know that he could do with some sugar or fructose, he clearly desperately needs it. Problem is he is terrified of eating anything other than meat because of bad reactions he has had in the past. But surely just pure glucose or fructose would be fine?

tygertgr

As a general rule I would ignore advice or commentary from psychologists or psychiatrists. We have the data. They are way, way disproportionately insane.

Tarmander

Sorry to hear that but it is good to know there could be issues with higher doses of K. I’m pretty conservative with the fat soluble vitamins these days after the whole A thing. I’m still very concerned with maintaining my bone density though so certain choices I’ve made for that reason alone honestly.

How could a non scientist learn more about the K/oxalate connection?
Search these for oxalates:
Nutristart

This thread has some stuff on K2 and oxalate connection. Theorized that K2 breaks down calcium oxalate crystals and hence liberates oxalate to be dumped. Something along those lines:

Oxalate Dumping - a Probiotic Solution?