Is There Any Need To Eat Cheese, Hagen Daz Etc

churchmouth

Hey all,

When I first came more serious about becoming more peaty and re-introducing dairy I was eating a lot of chedder. I was in heaven, consuming it in all three main meals, but I think I was consuming too much fat as a result. My cholesterol is off the chart (only 27yr old), so that may be one indication that high sugars and high fat aren't working in combination, or I am still in transition.. hormones yet to balance.

Well, if I have plenty of good quality milk (1.5%, no additives) in Australia, is there any reason to eat cheese and get all that extra saturated fat, or pay an outrageous cost for Hagen Daz? After all these are just milk dairy with more processing.

I suspect the answer is just in variety/ happiness, and helping people with calorie deficits (which I may struggle with without as much fat, to be honest).

On a seperate note, is there enough sugar in milk when drinking a large cup in between meals, or should there be some supplementation? At work I have lots of milk available and some high quality orange juice for sugars. However it doesn't feel right to drink milk and orange juice near to eachother? Any validity to not combining them in the stomach?

Sucrates

Not really, though some of the higher K2 cheeses might be a good idea now and then if you're not supplementing. I think with milk some people digest it better with sucrose, for some it's unnecessary.

Herbie

Hey,

Not sure if you've looked into blood pressure but Ray talks about it being ok to be slightly higher as apposed to being low but don't quote me on that, I don't have the quote on me.

Member tyw has gone in to depth on here about choosing either high fat low carb or low fat high carb but high in both carbs and fat can become troublesome and to start with one end of the spectrum and work towards the other until you find your own balance and I understand it can be confusing especially if making big changes in the diet.

The reason hagen daz is popular because every other ice-cream in woolworths/coles/aldi have carrageenan but its up to the individual to choose wether they consume it or not. Its devastating that our own ice cream isn't clean.

Yeah cheese and ice-cream are made from milk so its same as milk except most cheese has non animal rennet which can be troublesome on the digestive system and the carrageenan found in ice-cream and custard which is unfortunate but Im not 100% sure if its the original carrageenan here farmed from Ireland or is some other monster.

Australian milk is good and is the a2 variety and I drink all the varieties available and sometimes raw at the moment just drinking that coles organic ultra-pasturised low fat one.

In winter cheese is good because liquid requirements aren't as high as summer, besides cravings that would be a reason to consume cheese over milk.

Ray has suggested putting some sugar in milk to help with low blood sugar levels between meals but it comes down to experimenting yourself and going off internal drives and instincts.

Some people drink oj mixed in with milk in the same glass so I don't know if its problematic, different horses for different courses.

Ray has mentioned that its ok to drink oj on its own in the absence of protein, just depends on where your at.

Last edited:

tara

However it doesn't feel right to drink milk and orange juice near to eachother? Any validity to not combining them in the stomach?
Unfortunately, large quantities of milk don't agree with me. But personally, milk and orange juice mixed together taste great. And I don't have much tolerance for coffee, either, but mixing coffee in with milk and OJ and just a little sucrose makes an even tastier shake. :)

No, you don't have to eat cheddar and icecream. They have advantages if you happen to love it and/or you happen to need the extra calories or high calorie density. Some people struggle to drink large amounts of milk and juice etc because it's too much fluid for them in a low energy state.

If I ever recover some tolerance for cheese, I'll be melting a little of it to add flavour and protein to other foods.

cyclops

I read somewhere that Peat said cheese is better then milk. I think it was because cheese has the whey removed or maybe a better ratio of aminos.

chrismeyers

I wouldnt say Haagen Dazs or specific brands. What I would do is buy only organic (and 100% grass fed if available) milk and cheese and ice cream. Cows diet plays a huge role in fat profile of the end products. As far as your broad question goes, no you dont need dairy fat sources like cheese or ice cream on a Peat diet. I do a 100% skim milk peat diet and am better than ever. And it further reduces the very little PUFA that dairy products have.

milk_lover

I eat ice cream and cheese from time to time, but milk is my main source of calcium and calories because believe it or not it tastes for me than cheese and ice cream! Some people don't taste the sweetness in milk, but for some reason, my tastebuds can clearly taste the sweetness from lactose! Cheese gives me constipation.

sladerunner69

Agreed. Straus is top notch and no fillers/ additives.

Mmmm yep Straus is very rich and satisfying. It is on the pricier side though. I usually get "Three Twins", a newer brand, because it's stocked at my Neighborhood Market. It's lighter and airier with a malty quality.

OP
C

churchmouth

After posting this thread I went and did 3 nights in a row of hagen daz, LOL. 33$ down the drain but an easy way to increase calories :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals