I’m Sensitive To Something In Milk, And It Isn’t The Protein

Runenight201

Title pasta aside....

I have for a fact now confirmed that any type of milk fat produces a drugged like effect on me, in which my eyes get doped up, red, and I feel slower and unable to focus.

However, drinking skim milk, I have no negative reaction, and I feel light and maintain my same feeling of consciousness that I had before drinking the milk.

I will be drinking skim from now on, and I’ve come to actually enjoy it and look forward to it, but does anyone have any theories as to why milk fat could be problematic?

I eat cheese and Hagen daas ice cream just fine, albeit I rarely crave huge amounts of cheese, which is dissimilar to my more frequent craving for milk.

jitsmonkey

wouldn't troublesome fat soluble pollutants, contaminants, etc... be present in the milk fat but
absent in the skim milk? And one of the incredible ironies of fat soluble vitamin enrichment of skim milk

lvysaur

Maybe a homogenization issue? I would imagine the milk used for making cheese and other dairy products is probably left as is, or only pasteurized.

OP
Runenight201

Runenight201

Why doesn’t the saturated dairy fat solidly at fridge temperature? Does homogenization influence this lack of solidification?

If so, perhaps I have issue with the homogenous distribution of the fat particles. In general I find too much fat really gross. Too much butter and I easily get nauseous. Why I can handle cheese and ice cream is a mystery, but even those have their limits and exceeding it leaves me feeling bad.

OP
Runenight201

Runenight201

“An emulsion is a mix between two insoluble density fluids - Water and Oil.

Milk is an oil in water emulsion. There are milk fat blobs surrounded by proteins (milkfat globules) in the milk floating 'in a sea of water'. (NB: it is also a colloid, which is a mixture of finely suspended particles in a liquid solution)

When milk undergoes treatment after being milked from a cow, the process of homogenization refines the milk fat into being uniform and small in size, helping them remain as a stable oil-in-water emulsion. Because of this, when the milk is cooled doesn't change much in texture because a large component of it is liquid in nature (and exhibits more of the property of water, ie. structurally freezing/solidifying at ~0°C).

Butter is a water in oil emulsion. There are small droplets of water floating 'in a sea of' milk fat (which has broken out of their protein shell during the production of butter). Because a large component of butter is fat, properties of fat are largely dominant in the overall properties, ie. a higher solidifying point”

From ELI5: How do the fats in milk not solidify when cold like butter? : explainlikeimfive

I will have to try out raw milk at some point and see if I undergo the same reaction.

For the mean time I will stick with skim.

Ulysses

I have the exact same issue. I can eat large amounts of ice cream (more than a pint) or butter (several tablespoons) in one sitting with no ill effect, but an eight ounce glass of whole milk can sometimes be enough to cause moderate to severe brain fog.

Skim milk doesn’t do it to me, either, so yeah, it must be something in the milkfat portion. But then why would I be able to down 50+ grams of milkfat from butter or ice cream with no issue, while being essentially disabled by 8 grams from milk?

OP
Runenight201

Runenight201

I think it has to do with the homogenization of the milk particles. It changes the size of the milk fat globules so that they are much smaller, and perhaps this causes negative reactions to occur. I recall reading somewhere in Travis’ writings that homogenization results in I think milk proteins getting stuck in with the fat globules, which can cause an allergic response.

Butter and ice cream, since they aren’t homogenized, wouldn’t have this same problem.

I’m not about to start spending extra money on un homogenized milk when I can get all the benefits of milk from skim, but perhaps in the future, just to refute or corroborate this theory, it will be a good experiment to test out.

lampofred

From personal experience, the way to fix this issue is to boil the milk right before drinking it. I don't really understand exactly how everything works, but the site I was reading said that boiled milk when it's drunk hot is much more digestible for humans than cold milk or milk that has been boiled a long time ago previously (pasteurization) because the boiling does something to the fat molecules.

EDIT: Or maybe it was that boiling does something to the protein molecules, not fat molecules? In which case this wouldn't apply to this thread...

DaveFoster

@Runenight201

Cheese has predominantly casein proteins, whereas whey has the lactoglobulin protein, heavily composed of the amino acid tryptophan, itself readily converted into serotonin. Any increase in serotonin can depress metabolism and thus one's sensitivity to allergens, such as vitamins in the milk or any others in the environment.

Milk has a higher water content compared to that of cheese, and the increased fluid intake itself can disrupt cellular osmolarity (water balance), which can interfere with normal metabolism, and again sensitize the body to allergens. Since milkfat contains the bulk of any estrogen present within the milk, this could have some deleterious health effects.

Butter has been shown to raise LDL cholesterol to a greater extent than cheese, where the latter (cheese) has anti-inflammatory effects beyond the presence of saturated fats. Butter has no protein, and compared to cheese, milk has a greater portion of inflammatory whey proteins, where it lacks the aggressive ratio of the anti-inflammatory casein present in cheese.

"Maintenance hemodialysis (HD) patients often experience fluctuations of volume status. Although hypervolemia possibly induces systemic inflammation, the relationship between volume status and leptin has not yet been well defined. The aims of this study were to determine the levels of leptin, C-reactive protein (CRP), and ferritin in relation to volume status and to assess the relationship between leptin and volume and inflammatory status in chronic HD patients. This prospective study included 93 HD patients divided, based on evaluation using the body composition monitor, into normovolemic and hypervolemic groups (overhydration/extracellular water [OH/ECW] ≤ 15% and OH/ECW > 15%, respectively). The levels of leptin and inflammatory markers (CRP, ferritin) were determined during a mid-week dialysis session in all patients. There were more hypervolemic patients after 12 months of follow up than at baseline (41% vs. 38%). Hypervolemic patients had significantly lower leptin levels (11.42 ± 19.24 ng/mL vs. 34.53 ± 40.32 ng/mL at baseline and 13.41 ± 22.04 ng/mL vs. 41.54 ± 21.78 ng/mL at 12 months), longer time on dialysis, and poorer nutritional status than normovolemic patients. Inflammation was present regardless of the volume status, but hypervolemic patients had significantly higher CRP and ferritin than normovolemic patients. A statistically significant reverse correlation was found between leptin level, hyperhydration index, and OH/ECW. No significant correlation was found between leptin and inflammatory markers CRP and ferritin."

Link: Relationship Between Leptin Level, Inflammation, and Volume Status in Maintenance Hemodialysis Patients. - PubMed - NCBI

"Among food proteins, alpha-lactalbumin (LAC) has the highest ratio of tryptophan (Trp) over its competitor amino acids. Consequently, contrary to casein (CAS), LAC ingestion increases Trp access to the brain leading to enhanced serotonin (5-HT) synthesis. As an index of serotonergic activity, we assessed extracellular 5-HT in response to LAC ingestion, using microdialysis, and performed behavioural tests in rats in order to characterise the suggested improvements of mood observed in humans after ingestion of this protein. Rats were fed with diets enriched either in LAC or CAS as control, acutely (30 min meals) or chronically (3 and 6 days). A 30 min LAC meal significantly increased 5-HT release in the medial hypothalamus. This effect disappeared after 3 and 6 days of diet. The basal premeal 5-HT levels were increasingly enhanced by the LAC diet. Compared to a CAS meal, LAC increased the percentage of time spent on the open arms of the elevated plus maze and the number of visits to the centre of the open field, suggesting an anxiolytic-like effect. A single LAC meal decreased sucrose consumption, while 3 or 6 days diets enhanced it, reflecting an appetitive and/or rewarding action. In conclusion, LAC ingestion induces anxiolytic-like and rewarding effects possibly related to serotonergic activation. Shifting transiently, the commonly consumed CAS-enriched to LAC-enriched diets may induce beneficial effects on mood."

Link: Alpha-lactalbumin-enriched diets enhance serotonin release and induce anxiolytic and rewarding effects in the rat. - PubMed - NCBI

"A total of 40 g dairy fat eaten daily for 4 weeks as butter, but not as cheese, raised total and LDL cholesterol significantly compared with a diet containing significantly less saturated fat. Dietary advice regarding cheese consumption may require modification."

Link: Dairy fat in cheese raises LDL cholesterol less than that in butter in mildly hypercholesterolaemic subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

"Casein-derived peptides are shown to possess radical scavenging and metal chelating properties. The objective of this study was to evaluate novel anti-inflammatory properties of casein hydrolysates (CH) produced by an eco-friendly process that combines high hydrostatic pressure with enzymatic hydrolysis (HHP-EH). Casein was hydrolysed by different proteases, including flavourzyme (Fla), savinase (Sav), thermolysin (Ther), trypsin (Try), and elastase (Ela) at 0.1, 50, 100, and 200 MPa pressure levels under various enzyme-to-substrate ratios and incubation times. Casein hydrolysates were evaluated for the degree of hydrolysis (DH), molecular weight distribution patterns, and anti-inflammatory properties in chemical and cellular models. Hydrolysates produced using HHP-EH exhibited higher DH values and proportions of smaller peptides compared to atmospheric pressure-enzymatic hydrolysis (AP-EH). Among five enzymes, Fla-digested HHP-EH-CH (HHP-Fla-CH) showed significantly higher antioxidant properties than AP-Fla-CH. The anti-inflammatory properties of HHP-Fla-CH were also observed by significantly reduced nitric oxide and by the suppression of the synthesis of pro-inflammatory cytokines in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated RAW 264.7 macrophage cells. Liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) revealed that 59% of the amino acids of the peptides in HHP-Fla-CH were composed of proline, valine, and leucine, indicating the potential anti-inflammatory properties. In conclusion, the HHP-EH method provides a promising technology to produce bioactive peptides from casein in an eco-friendly process."

Link: Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant Properties of Casein Hydrolysate Produced Using High Hydrostatic Pressure Combined with Proteolytic Enzymes. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster do you have any recommendations for someone with a casein intolerance?
If you're hypothyroid, your body will react more violently to the casein proteins. A pulse of 85 and temperature of 98.6 Fahrenheit, measured under the armpit, leaving the thermometer for 10 minutes could give you some insight onto whether you may be hypothyroid. Dr. Broda Barnes diagnosed his patients with a temperature below 97.8 before rising from bed using the aforementioned methods.

Otherwise, A2 milk has a high cost, so goat milk should be less allergenic. An anti-histamine like cyprohepatdine or dyphenhydramine (Benadryl) can also help. As a milder remedy, a raw carrot eaten around noon with an absence of constipation can increase one's tolerance to an allergen.

Logan-

If you're hypothyroid, your body will react more violently to the casein proteins. A pulse of 85 and temperature of 98.6 Fahrenheit, measured under the armpit, leaving the thermometer for 10 minutes could give you some insight onto whether you may be hypothyroid. Dr. Broda Barnes diagnosed his patients with a temperature below 97.8 before rising from bed using the aforementioned methods.

Otherwise, A2 milk has a high cost, so goat milk should be less allergenic. An anti-histamine like cyprohepatdine or dyphenhydramine (Benadryl) can also help. As a milder remedy, a raw carrot eaten around noon with an absence of constipation can increase one's tolerance to an allergen.

Thanks.

Logan-

Last edited:

Milena

On milk fat. I met a very orthorexic or knowledgeable, or both, friend in the supermarket recently. The food-based conversation got onto milk and she has the similar problems with milk fat. She has been tested (regularly) and it is definitely not the milk proteins but something in the milk fat. She can't tell if it something new or long-standing as she drinks little milk or things with milk products in. It would be interesting to know if something is getting into the food chain via the fat.

DaveFoster

Do you mean the old mercury thermometers? Do alcohol thermometers work just as fine?

By the way, is this true?
"The reading when taken in the armpit will be 0.6 degrees C (1 degree F) lower than the child’s actual temperature."
How to take a temperature - Dr. Miriam Stoppard
The temperature variation depends on the thermometer, and either kind of thermometer can work. If you're uncertain, buy multiple different kinds of thermometers and use them in different places, preferably washing them in between.

A client of mine broke his mercury thermometer and had to evacuate his house for a week, and he never vacuumed up all of the mercury beads, so a digital thermometer would be much safer; they have largely replaced mercury thermometers due to their superior safety.

somuch4food

From personal experience, the way to fix this issue is to boil the milk right before drinking it. I don't really understand exactly how everything works, but the site I was reading said that boiled milk when it's drunk hot is much more digestible for humans than cold milk or milk that has been boiled a long time ago previously (pasteurization) because the boiling does something to the fat molecules.

EDIT: Or maybe it was that boiling does something to the protein molecules, not fat molecules? In which case this wouldn't apply to this thread...

I've noticed something similar. Drinking milk seems to constipate me, but milk in cooked recipes does not have any effect.

I will experiment with skim milk.

Redshine

Weird I have almost the same thing, I thought a while that it really had to do with the food the cows were fed. Because I even reacted on bio milk from a farmer (A1milk) I know treated his cows very good. I moved a year ago to a different city and tried milk from another farmer (grassfed but also type A1milk) and experient no problems... I was stunt because it doesn't even seem to matter if it's pasturized or raw milk. I never really believed it and that I needed A2milk (goat) because it is easier to diggest, but apperently with me it has something to do with the milk itself.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals