If dairy is so good, why do a lot of people do better without dairy?

dervmai

progress
Dairy seems to cause problems for people. Why do dairy free diets exist? Many people claim eliminating dairy addresses a lot of their issues... why?

Is eliminating dairy because it doesn't sit well with just a "band-aid" solution? As in they have to question why they are intolerant to dairy? I think I might be a bit sensitive to dairy. It causes some gut issues, as well as some itching, which I will notice a little bit after consuming it. How do I fix this so that I can include dairy?

akgrrrl

Perhaps because few humans can distinguish a difference between WHICH milk. The natural milk from a cow that actually eats grass and utilizes its 4 stomachs to create a rich nutritious product, or cows locked in a 3ft cage with a hole to put their head slurping up a grain slurry to stay alive, heavily vaccinated with growth hormones, antibiotics God knows what, standing in 3feet of their own pee and poop with a milking machine attached, only released to go to the "rape cage", and only living a scant 4 years with such inhumane treatment instead of 25 yrs in a peaceful field with a normal herd with social order.

peter88

Perhaps because few humans can distinguish a difference between WHICH milk. The natural milk from a cow that actually eats grass and utilizes its 4 stomachs to create a rich nutritious product, or cows locked in a 3ft cage with a hole to put their head slurping up a grain slurry to stay alive, heavily vaccinated with growth hormones, antibiotics God knows what, standing in 3feet of their own pee and poop with a milking machine attached, only released to go to the "rape cage", and only living a scant 4 years with such inhumane treatment instead of 25 yrs in a peaceful field with a normal herd with social order.
So that’s the only reason people don’t tolerate milk?

akgrrrl

So that’s the only reason people don’t tolerate milk?
I cannot say more if you fail to see that milk cannot be just milk if the cow is fed grain sprayed with canola oil instead of grass, and other drugs and elements are in the product. Poor quality "milk" has whiteners, thickeners and numerous excipients to combat blood and pus which make it less than "milk"

Sitaruîm

I cannot say more if you fail to see that milk cannot be just milk if the cow is fed grain sprayed with canola oil instead of grass, and other drugs and elements are in the product. Poor quality "milk" has whiteners, thickeners and numerous excipients to combat blood and pus which make it less than "milk"
But using that logic then people would have to react just as badly to supermarket meat, and this is not the case. Maybe dairy proteins are just hard to digest for some people, regardless of the health of the animal.

sphenoid

Agree. I can only tolerate one brand of milk and it’s raw, organic, and grass-grazed. Anything else immediately starts generating mucus as soon as it hits my throat. Will never understand how people can stomach the cheap stuff.

Waynish

You can say this for so many things including vitamin A... Some things cannot be processed by some people. So the ideal is to be able to process anything, not to constantly avoid anything that is potentially temporarily hard to metabolize.

FitnessMike

how many of these people tried raw milk?

mosaic01

Some think that milk is able to draw toxins out of the body and thus the mucus would be a sign of a toxic body.

But how many people of those who can't tolerate dairy would tolerate it if they tried high quality sheep or goat milk (or maybe even horse or camel milk)?

Most of the reports about people not tolerating it are imho about people not tolerating ultra-processed A1 cow milk.

Besides this, dairy is so high in vitamin A that consuming more than a supplemental amount of milk is a pretty bad idea.

baron

But using that logic then people would have to react just as badly to supermarket meat, and this is not the case. Maybe dairy proteins are just hard to digest for some people, regardless of the health of the animal.
I can very clearly tell if the ground beef is of poor quality; it tastes gamey and slightly upsets my stomach.

Jonk

Probably a lot of different factors for different people. Mike Fave said he has tried all different kinds but don't tolerate it, maybe because he had his gallbladder removed. Also it might be the casomorphins from A1 cows, which i guess is more problematic if you have an intestinal permeability issue. Goat and sheeps milk has a different structured casein (A2) which I tolerate better, but still not good. The only goat milk I can source though is highly pasturized and probably not of high quality. I guess the only way to figure it out is trying for oneself what works and go from there.

Apple

Lot's of people don't even know that they are lactose intolerant and just ignore it if symptoms are mild. Ray Peat diet bring this to the surface. When I was a kid a drank any kind of milk and just ignored stomach ache. "Lactose intolerance" term was not popular in those times.
Now we are more vigilant of this problem and there are tests to determin it.
60% of Maasai people are lactose malabsorbers . They can get away with malababsorption if microbiom is adapted but malabsorbers will get less calories/benefits from milk.
They did Hydrogen breath test on Maasai kids. The amount of hydrogen in breath was measured at regular intervals. Breathing out too much hydrogen indicates that you aren't fully digesting and absorbing lactose. Hydrogen in breath shows that you have a high amount of bacteria in your small intestine. (not good, SIBO ... )
BTW, if you are lactose intolerant there are high chances you have troubles with other kinds of shugars , like those in cabbages/broccoli and beans. Lactase enzyme helps with digestion of those too.
Undigested sugars facilitate bacteria moving up in your intestines making your breath bad.

Last edited:

Zucker

It was a revelation to me that when I was in India, I could digest the milk of the cows living on the premises very well indeed. Those cows yielded 3-4 liters per day I was told. Where I live, the cows in organic farming are made to yield approx. 17lts. per day. Conventionally farmed cows give more than 34 lt. of milk per day. Noone in that Serra India would dream of consuming 1lt of milk per day. It seems out of balance with the yield of their cows‘ milk and out of balance with the rest of their diet.

animalcule

Unfortunately, it isn't always the case that conventional dairy=bad and raw grassfed dairy=good. I had terrible reactions to both raw goat's milk AND raw cow's milk (A2, grassfed Amish stuff) when i was at my most sensitive. I still don't feel great on dairy, but I eat it from time to time.

There is a theory that people dealing with Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome or mold illness struggle with dairy (makes them massively depressed, myself included) because something about one of the proteins is similar to some mold toxin or byproduct. Idk, I can't recall exactly (big brain fog). But it definitely aligned with my experience. If you have an immune issue, even raw organic grassfed dairy can cause problems.

There was also a theory that some vaccines contain a dairy protein, and some people become sensitized to it/allergic after vaccination. Same with eggs.

Dapose

Forum Supporter
To look around at the failing health of almost all people, and then say, yeah people can’t tolerate dairy is just like… well dah.
Hearing a human being can’t tolerate dairy to me is like hearing an apple tree can’t tolerate soil. Like sure, maybe there is something wrong with the soil, some kind of mineral deficiency, some kind poor quality lack of organic matter… too dry, too wet, too sandy.
All things that change the soil quality.
But to say the tree can’t tolerate soil, well. That’s just nonsense.

Literally every dairy product is a unique specific product. Hundreds of cheese products made in thousands of different locations with different packaging from millions of animals raised in deferent ways.
Almost all milk I see has gums and fillers added in them that are well documented to cause problems.

Apple

To look around at the failing health of almost all people, and then say, yeah people can’t tolerate dairy is just like… well dah.
Hearing a human being can’t tolerate dairy to me is like hearing an apple tree can’t tolerate soil. Like sure, maybe there is something wrong with the soil, some kind of mineral deficiency, some kind poor quality lack of organic matter… too dry, too wet, too sandy.
All things that change the soil quality.
But to say the tree can’t tolerate soil, well. That’s just nonsense.

Literally every dairy product is a unique specific product. Hundreds of cheese products made in thousands of different locations with different packaging from millions of animals raised in deferent ways.
Almost all milk I see has gums and fillers added in them that are well documented to cause problems.
I just read about mongolian culture. 95% of mongolians are basically lactose intolerant but dairy is a stapple food for them. All kind of dairy - cows, sheep, goats, horses, yaks, reindeer.
They overcome lactose intolerance by fermenting it: yogurt and cheeses.
Mongolians look very healthy to me.
But fermented dairy is a bit of an outlier in Ray Peat world. We don't like lactic acid for its cancerous effect.
Strangely Mongolians have high rate of liver cancer and hepatitis infection.
I think the rate of other cancers is not so obvious in Mongolians because their average life expectancy is not very high so it is difficult to compare their health with the french, italians or japanese

Last edited:

jmparret

I used to not be able to drink milk. Once i got rid of my SIBO things worked much better. Check your system see if it is working correctly.

peter88

Casein allergy is prevalent due to vaccinations among younger generations. Egg protein, casein, beef proteins are all used.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals