How do you heal the liver?

dervmai

progress
So I have a liver issue I'm pretty sure, as well as thyroid issues. It is a bit of a chicken and the egg situation since I don't know if its the liver causing the thyroid issues or the other way around.

I have high bilirubin, which causes a slight yellow undertone to my skin, I also have other skin issues like skin texture, dryness, itchiness etc... Starches make me itch, which seems to be another indicator of liver issues. I would like to mention I am recovering from marihuana and nicotine addiction. I have been smoking for about 5 years, and my health noticeably declined during this time. My drug use I think sped up the timeline of when I would have normally experienced health issues. I am 19 and I am experiencing a good amount of health issues. I think if I hadn't smoked, that maybe these health issues would have come to light maybe in my mid 20s.

Anyways, here are some bloodwork/biomarkers I have-
Currently my TSH is 0.43 after 3 months of t3. I didn't notice a drastic increase in temps so I switched to t4/t3 and I have since noticed a drastic improvement in my temps and pulse and bowel movements. I now consistently have a bowel movement per day. My temps can get into the low 98s if I eat properly. My pulse is in the mid 80s which is where I wanted to be. My morning temps could improve, but I'm making progress in regards to thyroid health

Abnormal tests- Elevated DHEA-S levels. Possibly high tissue estrogen and prolactin since my serum levels were low. Estrogen is removed via the liver so if my liver is struggling, the elevated tissue estrogen makes sense. High bilirubin.

Current diet- 1 lb of grassfed beef, 2 apples or the equivalent of 2 apples in the form of other fruits, 3 cups of milk, 4-6 tbs of honey, 6 scoops of Great Lakes Gelatin Powder, coconut oil, 1 cup of mushrooms, 1-2 carrots per day cooked with mushrooms and meat, occasionally cheese. This has been my diet for almost 2 weeks. I think I've noticed a big improvement when eliminating starches, so I will continue to do that for the time being. @PeterSN How do I overcome the issue of low carbs in a diet? Specifically related to an overburdened liver due to low carbs?

Supplements- I have kept the list short- Cynoplus, vit k2, copper glycinate, vitamin b1. Vit E once or 2 times a week. That is it.

Need some help to address the liver issues, any tips are really appreciated and are very helpful, so please share!

Some thoughts about healing the liver:

- Coconut oil: The short chain fatty acids are shunted to the liver and burned without carnitine, increasing liver energy.
- Caffeine: Increases the flow of bile, and is a general cell-protectant. Has a long history of being used for liver problems.
- Protein and B-Complex: Based on research by Dr. Biskind cited by Ray, both are needed for optimal liver health, measured by ability to detoxify estrogen
- Quick intestinal transit: Reduces absorption of endotoxin. Cascara sagrada or magnesium carbonate both work for this
- Activated charcoal: Binds to many bacterial toxins that would otherwise burden the liver
- Frequent snacking: Liver glycogen can be depleted by stress or exercise, and frequent snacking restores it

The liver is probably the organ with the highest regenerative ability, so unless it is seriously damages chances are good you will heal it.

DrJ

So I have a liver issue I'm pretty sure, as well as thyroid issues. It is a bit of a chicken and the egg situation since I don't know if its the liver causing the thyroid issues or the other way around.

I have high bilirubin, which causes a slight yellow undertone to my skin, I also have other skin issues like skin texture, dryness, itchiness etc... Starches make me itch, which seems to be another indicator of liver issues. I would like to mention I am recovering from marihuana and nicotine addiction. I have been smoking for about 5 years, and my health noticeably declined during this time. My drug use I think sped up the timeline of when I would have normally experienced health issues. I am 19 and I am experiencing a good amount of health issues. I think if I hadn't smoked, that maybe these health issues would have come to light maybe in my mid 20s.

Currently my TSH is 0.43 after 3 months of t3. I didn't notice a drastic increase in temps so I switched to t4/t3 and I have since noticed a drastic improvement in my temps and pulse and bowel movements. I now consistently have a bowel movement per day. My temps can get into the low 98s if I eat properly. My pulse is in the mid 80s which is where I wanted to be. My morning temps could improve, but I'm making progress in regards to thyroid health

Abnormal tests- Elevated DHEA-S levels. Possibly high tissue estrogen and prolactin since my serum levels were low. Estrogen is removed via the liver so if my liver is struggling, the elevated tissue estrogen makes sense. High bilirubin.

Current diet- 1 lb of grassfed beef, 2 apples or the equivalent of 2 apples in the form of other fruits, 3 cups of milk, 4-6 tbs of honey, 6 scoops of Great Lakes Gelatin Powder, coconut oil, 1 cup of mushrooms, 1-2 carrots per day cooked with mushrooms and meat, occasionally cheese. This has been my diet for almost 2 weeks. I think I've noticed a big improvement when eliminating starches, so I will continue to do that for the time being. @PeterSN How do I overcome the issue of low carbs in a diet? Specifically related to an overburdened liver due to low carbs?

Supplements- I have kept the list short- Cynoplus, vit k2, copper glycinate, vitamin b1. Vit E once or 2 times a week. That is it.

Need some help to address the liver issues, any tips are really appreciated and are very helpful, so please share!
Sounds more like Gilbert's disease with the high bilirubin and sensitivity to smoking. If so it means your glucuronidation liver detox pathway is impaired. You would need to consume more cruciferous vegetables and consider taking calcium d-glucarate to support that weakened detox pathway.

Healthseeker

@derv
What is your height and weight? Do you have your gallbladder still? It matters to determine what to do.
If your only 19 and have yellowing of the skin, then your pretty bad off I think.

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
@derv
What is your height and weight? Do you have your gallbladder still? It matters to determine what to do.
If your only 19 and have yellowing of the skin, then your pretty bad off I think.
5 ft 10 and 165 lbs. I still have my gallbladder. I don't know if I have Gilberts though, my bilirubin levels aren't super elevated, just slightly, like 0.1-0.3 outside of the range. But it is enough to change the undertone of my skin slightly. What do I do?

Healthseeker

I might be able to help you.
First off, I've tried that diet. The Ground Beef and Carrots. And, it didn't work, because the fat that is in the hamburger meat is too much on the liver. Especially if your cooking the carrots in with the greasy meat, and eating it like its beef stew. The stuff your saying about messing with your hormones and estrogen, isn't the right way to go about it really, because there is feedback loops in your hormone system, and your likely throwing it out of whack if your not super consistent with your supplement regimen. Its hard to be carefull, very many supplements raise estrogen, even ones that aren't labeled or known to do it will. And the estrogen is going to make the liver problem worse, because it brings the triglycerides into the liver, but it cant deal with it. I started having real gallbladder problems from the diet, I was pretty strict on the diet, because the meat and fat was good for my SIBO. But, It was bad for my liver. And the supplements I was taking (Echinacea, and Hyssop at the time). I didnt really know what they did, because real information is hard to find. But almost everything you put in your body messes with cholesterol somehow, its a core process of your body that affects everything.

Also, in my experience you don't want any Honey in your diet. It made my sibo worse. But, your asking about carb sources, running into problem of trying to get enough calories, I have the same problem. And I dont have a good answer for that. Lean meat and salad is really the best answer that I know. Coconut oil (with the coconut flavor still in it) is a good fat that I think helps the liver and guts. So up your intake of that. Specifically for a "starch", maybe try rutabaga or turnips or radishes. If you do, report back and tell us what you tried.

Also, you need to check for intestinal parasites, and Hep, because where your young, it dont make sense.

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
I might be able to help you.
First off, I've tried that diet. The Ground Beef and Carrots. And, it didn't work, because the fat that is in the hamburger meat is too much on the liver. Especially if your cooking the carrots in with the greasy meat, and eating it like its beef stew. The stuff your saying about messing with your hormones and estrogen, isn't the right way to go about it really, because there is feedback loops in your hormone system, and your likely throwing it out of whack if your not super consistent with your supplement regimen. Its hard to be carefull, very many supplements raise estrogen, even ones that aren't labeled or known to do it will. And the estrogen is going to make the liver problem worse, because it brings the triglycerides into the liver, but it cant deal with it. I started having real gallbladder problems from the diet, I was pretty strict on the diet, because the meat and fat was good for my SIBO. But, It was bad for my liver. And the supplements I was taking (Echinacea, and Hyssop at the time). I didnt really know what they did, because real information is hard to find. But almost everything you put in your body messes with cholesterol somehow, its a core process of your body that affects everything.

Also, in my experience you don't want any Honey in your diet. It made my sibo worse. But, your asking about carb sources, running into problem of trying to get enough calories, I have the same problem. And I dont have a good answer for that. Lean meat and salad is really the best answer that I know. Coconut oil (with the coconut flavor still in it) is a good fat that I think helps the liver and guts. So up your intake of that. Specifically for a "starch", maybe try rutabaga or turnips or radishes. If you do, report back and tell us what you tried.

Also, you need to check for intestinal parasites, and Hep, because where your young, it dont make sense.
So I should focus on lowering estrogen, and eating a diet that is good for liver health, like low fat meat and more carbs? I'll start to take aspirin and maybe start drinking some coffee. Any other tips you can give me?

Healthseeker

You should start by getting a blood liver panel done and test for all stds and hepatitis while your at it.
Then the doctor might want you to a stool sample. But, sometimes the hospital wont do those right. Ive seen where they just have the most youngest most inexperienced lab techs to do the task of digging through your ***t to trying to find something. Be aware of that, see whos doing it.
Then, you may want to go ahead and do a course of metronidazole anyway just to be more sure its not parasites.

Then you can worry about doing ray peat stuff. That stuff only works for people with healthy digestive systems.

TheSir

TUDCA
Liver flushes
Coffee (drinks or enemas)
Choline
Zinc
Selenium
TMG
Choline/lecithin
Carotenoid avoidance
Protein
Onions & cruciferous veggies (boiled until soft mush)
Ox bile

Any combination of these should gradually help. My elevated enzymes and persistent orange skin resolved over a few months with the combination of veggies, zinc, tudca, lecithin and tmg in the beginning of this year.

youngsinatra

Thyroid (containing T3), low-dose riboflavin, well-cooked leafy greens (folate), animal protein (methionine, minerals, B12) and coffee.

DaveFoster

Try a SIBO test, which measures gasses emitted from bacteria in your exhalation. The test involves breathing into a tube into a bucket-like device. The standard treatment is metronidazole and cephalexin, and it's probably a grossly underdiagnosed condition due to its expense.

GTW

Traditional herbal medicine. Cholegogues (stimulate bile flow) were thought to generally improve\heal liver. 100 years ago in China my grandfather had a severe malaria crisis and higher quinine doses were becoming hepatotoxic. He switched to a patent medicine, India Cholegogue, with good results.

Osukhan

I have been cycling this product for the last few months , easy straight forward approach

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
You should start by getting a blood liver panel done and test for all stds and hepatitis while your at it.
Then the doctor might want you to a stool sample. But, sometimes the hospital wont do those right. Ive seen where they just have the most youngest most inexperienced lab techs to do the task of digging through your ***t to trying to find something. Be aware of that, see whos doing it.
Then, you may want to go ahead and do a course of metronidazole anyway just to be more sure its not parasites.

Then you can worry about doing ray peat stuff. That stuff only works for people with healthy digestive systems.
1697729282428.png

These are my hepatic function test results. My bilirubin would normally be slightly out of the range but on this one it is within it, but barely. The high albumin is confusing me. Does it mean albumin is high because there are a lot of toxins leaching out that don't get detoxified in the liver and so albumin rises along with lipoproteins as a protective measure, meaning high blood albumin is actually not good and is indicative of a overburdened liver? My lipoproteins were also over the range on a different test (lipoprotein A).

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter

Multiple liver flushes is what I would recommend.

golder

Traditional herbal medicine. Cholegogues (stimulate bile flow) were thought to generally improve\heal liver. 100 years ago in China my grandfather had a severe malaria crisis and higher quinine doses were becoming hepatotoxic. He switched to a patent medicine, India Cholegogue, with good results.
Didn’t realise high quinine doses were bad for the liver. I was just about to trial some higher doses. Do you know roughly where the point of diminishing returns would be?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals