Ice Cream As A Fuel Source

DavidGardner

Out of all the Peaty carb sources I've tried, none seems to do the job like ice cream. Bear in mind I'm burning 3000+ cal a day and am on my feet most of the time. In the morning, I need carbs to fuel up for the day. Orange juice is good, but too much makes me jittery. Peaches seem better. Melons give me energy for about two hours and then I crash. Ice cream is just a combination of cream and sucrose. Sucrose in itself has advantages over starch, glucose, or fructose alone; and saturated fat from cream is synergistic with it. Cream lowers the glycemic index of sucrose to provide a longer lasting energy, and the saturated fat is good for the liver, which processes the fructose by-product of the sugar.

So for me, ice cream for breakfast works well. I'm still eating protein sources and fruit, but it can be hard to get enough calories from those things alone. At the end of the day, I prefer starch from potatoes to settle down. Anyone with similar experiences, or just a love of ice cream?

At one point I was getting good results with it. Now I'm doing better on meat and veggies... But it is winter where I am :)

jyb

Ice cream is one of the only large sources of saturated fats for most people. You don't get as close by drinking a pint of whole milk, or by eating the small amount of butter melting on your steak. And those foods have a lot of protein so its not the same effect - you're not just getting fat from these foods. When you eat ice cream, you're getting a proper load of relatively pure saturated fats compared to most other foods. And although this is controversial on this forum, I believe the cells are actually using the saturated fats well and therefore a good "fuel source" rather than merely a pro-liver effect as you mentioned, which is otherwise well studied.

I used to eat ice cream before bed, therapeutically, because I noticed it helped a lot with my lifelong insomnia. Then I realised that just eating pure cream or butter without anything added would produce results at least as good. I think pure dairy is healthier than ice cream though as you have more control over it. I don't think the ingredients used in Haagen Dasz are good quality compared to what I can get to make my own cocktail.

answersfound

Do it. If it is working and feels good then do it. And I disagree with jyb. I think the stress of not eating the ice cream and eating something like butter or pure cream is greater than eating a couple of low quality ingredients found in Haagan Dasz. Peat eats it. Danny Roddy eats it. I don't see such a big problem.

jyb

answersfound said:
Do it. If it is working and feels good then do it. And I disagree with jyb. I think the stress of not eating the ice cream and eating something like butter or pure cream is greater than eating a couple of low quality ingredients found in Haagan Dasz. Peat eats it. Danny Roddy eats it. I don't see such a big problem.

Well, obviously you can add your own ingredients and make your own drink/milk shake/ice cream at home. I just mentioned this to show that the effect was due to the saturated fat itself rather than the small amount of sugar added (actually, there can be a decent amount depending on how much ice cream you eat). I personally wouldn't want to eat the type of dairy used in Haagen Dasz too often (not just because a tub of HG is costly), but there are worse things for sure.

Zachs

Three twins ice cream is top quality and pretty easy to find.

Yes, I eat ice cream almost daily, usually a pint a day when I'm feeling it.

Greg says

'The great thing about ice cream is it gives me energy in the day and puts me to sleep at night.' - Chris Masterjohn.

Dizzryda

I always feel instantly calm and happy after ice cream. No other food can really do that consistently. However, this is sometimes accompanied a sluggishness with me. Could be a mental thing. Anyone else?

janus

DavidGardner said:
I'm still eating protein sources and fruit, but it can be hard to get enough calories from those things alone.

I dunno if it's the calories so much as the density of the food. I found that after awhile of eating dense potassium-rich foods, I lost my appetite for fatty foods, which was quite startling given my prior difficulties eating less than 80-100g/day.

I used to be an ice cream MONSTER.

skycop00

Trying to find a good organic ice cream is tough in SW Florida...I don't want any of the garbage GUMS....

Diokine

I go through close to a tub of Blue Bunny Vanilla bean per week.

Ingredients
Milk, Cream, Skim Milk, Sugar, Egg Yolks, Natural Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Bean Specks.

That's what I'm talking about :D

BobbyDukes

I've personally never felt that great from ice cream. Maybe home made ice cream would be different..

Velve921

I've doing ice cream and dark chocolate before bed every night for past 2 years...I would guess 50% of my fat intake is before bed time; if fat is low before bed, I sleep rather poorly and have to get up more often to urinate. Many of my athletes have found the same response to post game sleeplessness.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals